Author Topic: Sad Day is it really worth it  (Read 4818 times) 21 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Sad Day is it really worth it
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Today i have woken up to find my baby Corry dead on his side and he was doing so well, this has come as a big shock as he was doing so well swimming around happily eating and mixing with the other fish.

It now looks like i am going to lose the guppy now aswell as he is starting to do that curling up thing but is still trying to eat.

I lost another guppy last week who died quick aswell but that was completely different symptoms he just sat on the top gasping for air and died with in 15 mins.

At the moment i am gutted at losing 2 fish and about to lose another by the looks. All the other fish look healthy so far and are eating and pooping the right colour.

I am wondering if the baby could not get up for air being small in a big tank and perhaps he drowned. if not i have big problem in my tank somewhere and the rest will probably die soon

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20
Ammonia  0
Ph 7.5

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sad Day is it really worth it
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »
Guppies are notoriously weak fish these days. They get sick very easily and can often die for no apparent reason. A lot of experienced fish keepers won't have them for this reason. In order to create all those different tail shapes and colour patterns they have been intensively inbred, something known to cause genetic problems. And because there is such a demand for them, breeders use fish that are not in perfect health to breed from, so their offspring inherit these imperfections.
As long as the deaths are confined to just guppies, it suggests it is just because they are guppies.

As for the baby cory, it is common for a lot of baby fish to die - that's why fish have so many offspring. With just one baby it is hard to say if there was something wrong with it or if it was an infection. If the adult cories are OK, I would think it was something wrong with the baby.

But it is still upsetting to lose a fish you have nurtured from an egg  :(

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
To be fair, fish have so many fry because they get eaten. They don't just die...

Guppies can 'just die', as Sue says. And a few fry do have problems...

These things happen to us all occasionally, I wouldn't let it put me off keeping fish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »
I agree, a lot do get eaten. But do you find that even in nursery tanks where there is nothing to eat the fry, a number of fry do die anyway?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that you have lost some fish.  :(
It is very upsetting, especially after the joy of finding fry in your tank.
It can sometimes make us wonder what we are doing wrong, and whether it is worth putting so much effort into setting up and maintaining a suitable environment if this is what is going to happen.
Some fish are more vulnerable to problems that others, as Sue has mentioned.
And as hampalong has pointed out, these things happen to us all occasionally. I have certainly had a few incidents where we have struggled to get to the bottom of the problem, which can be very frustrating.
Keep monitoring your tank, keep watching your fish, keep us posted.
The feelings of distress and disappointment will pass, and you will enjoy your tank again.
Keep at it.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
I agree, a lot do get eaten. But do you find that even in nursery tanks where there is nothing to eat the fry, a number of fry do die anyway?

Not really. Not unless the tank is very small. Fry "adjust their numbers" as they grow to stay within the stocking limits of the tank.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »
Thanks all l am not giving up I was just bit upset at the time.

I think it's a parasite the faeces has gone very clear white stringy. I have started him on sterazin and feeding him crushed pea with bit flake and garlic.

He is now very skinny but is still eating. He swims for a while then lays on his side. I am hoping the sterazin will work as he has had 2 doses now. I just hope now I am treating the right thing and hope it's not bacterial infection.

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 03:51:04 PM »
Fingers crossed for you and your fish.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »
Clear/white stringy poo is usually a sign of Capillaria, an intestinal nematode worm. Sterazin is the right treatment for that...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »
Fingers crossed for your little guy  :-\

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »
Thanks Matt but he died this morning.

I do have a question tho and it's can I still keep the tank going by carrying on treating it as I want to use it for shrimp or do I nuke it and start all over again.

If I need to clean it would salt and white vinegar work.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
@hampalong is probably the best person to answer this question, but it is my understanding that 'baby' parasites need to infect a fish or they die. Unless hampalong says different, I think the best thing might be to leave the tank running without occupants for a few weeks, just add ammonia to 1 ppm every 3 or 4 days to feed the bacteria.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »
Capillaria is transmitted directly, with no intermediate host. The worms lay eggs that are excreted in the fish's faeces, the eggs hatch and the larvae are unknowingly eaten. I don't know exactly how long they can survive without a fish but it's not long.

Finish the Sterazin course. This will ensure the tank is worm-free.

There's no need to clean the tank (there rarely is, to be honest). If there are no more fish in it just keep the filter ticking over the way Sue suggests till the course is finished.

I'm not sure if Capillaria can infect shrimp, and if it can it may well be a different species...

That's if it was Capillaria. You would need to have added a fish with the worms in the not too distant past.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 02:34:42 PM »
Thank you hampalong and sue. The last time I added a fish was August . I did wonder if it was bacterial rather than worm because no other species were affected.

If it was an infection could that be stress and down to chasing each other. They are all males.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
If the last fish was added in August then I think we can safely say it wasn't worms. Maybe I should have asked that to begin with.  ::)

Are we talking guppies now? Guppies are prone to a lot of things and I'm by no means an expert in them. When I was in the trade a couple of decades ago Guppies were a real problem to treat on import (from Singapore, in extremely crowded bags as is their way of transporting fish half way around a planet). Cuprazin or antibiotics were often required, both of which are quite severe treatments.

Male guppies are always chasing something. If it's not another male it's a woman, or anything with fins. I would suspect weak genetics rather than stress, unless your water is soft, which will keep them physiologically stressed. IMO, getting deaths from 'ordinary' farmed guppies is par for the course...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »
Sorry that I've not been able to be on the forum this week to respond to this thread until today, and I'm very sorry about your sad news. In the event that this happens to another fish, though, I would keep a bacterial infection in mind as a possibility. Many years ago, my goldfish looked to be at death's door, sitting on the bottom and with white poo hanging from him when he did try to get up to move; the only medication I had to hand was anti-bacterial infection treatment and it did result in a complete turnaround for him. A couple of other causes of clear, white stringy poo which I also realised over time were treating the tank with aquarium salt (which I assume you haven't done) and over-feeding on veggies and esp cucumber such as daily at the expense of dried food and which seemed to result in a string of white poo with what appeared to be air pockets in it (which I assume hasn't been the case either in your fish's case).

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that your fish has passed.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
@Littlefish thank you & fcmf  i will bear that in mind for the future. I did treat him with aquarium salt but that was after he had the white poo. @ hampalong i did not realise they were so weak genetically but i wont be buying any again once these have passed on. i always thought guppys were quite hardy.

I am still learning' but learning fast thanks to everyone on here and it's very much appreciated.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
Guppies used to be hardy many years ago. Then the demand for more and more fancy guppies of many different colours and patterns meant big business, and big business means less than perfect breeding practices. Result - weak fish, unfortunately.

If you want smaller, brightly coloured livebearers look at endlers. Shop ones are endler-guppy hybrids but they are still hardier than guppies as there isn't the demand for them (yet) to cause poor breeding practices.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
Oh that's interesting but would they be ok with my honey gourami and can they mix with male guppys if I kept male endless. I suppose I could put them in my smaller tank if they won't eat baby shrimp which I am guessing they would.

What is the bioload for endless?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sad Day is it really worth it"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 09:19:44 PM
by Skull
7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2015, 02:09:32 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 11:15:40 AM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: