Rummy Nose Tetras And Cherry Shrimps?

Author Topic: Rummy nose tetras and cherry shrimps?  (Read 10015 times) 6 replies

Offline hobo

• Fishy Member
Rummy nose tetras and cherry shrimps?
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,
I have set up a new tank and all water tests are pretty good i think all my rummy nose tetras 5 of them are swimming about lively and enjoying there new home. The problem is that i have recently lost 2 of my 5 cherry shrimps. I have noticed the rummys giving them the occational chase but never witnessed bites. So my question is will a rummy attack and kill shrimps the store i bought them from said they would be fine together or is there something else causing this?
I feed the fish 1 time a day and not too much but enough for the size of the fish. Has anyone got experience of them together?
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH 125
KH 180
pH 6.8

Thanks again
Any info appreciated

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Rummy nose tetras and cherry shrimps?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
Cherry shrimp are supposed to be one of the easiest shrimp in all types of water. But I'm having problems with them. I bought a total of six of the bright red ones from 2 different shops and I have 1 left. Mine have all died with a crack across their backs which googling leads me to believe is a failed moult, possibly caused by either a diet too rich in protein or one lacking in calcium. And google also found sites saying that the really bright red ones like mine are suffering from over breeding.

Are yours the really bright red ones or the not very red ones? Have yours definitely been killed by the rummies or do they too have a white crack across their backs?

I have no idea how you stop shrimps from eating protein rich fish food. But I have been feeding the tank finely chopped spinach (which is also fine for endlers) in the hopes that will help. I've also bought some more from a third shop, these are red but not bright red. So far I've found three shed skins so at least some of them are moulting successfully.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
Hmm I hadnt heard of that Sue, interesting stuff I'll try to keep an eye out for. Sorry to read you're both having troubles :-( one of my shrimpd has entirely disappeared off of the face of the earth :/ other than this all my shrimp have been ok so far fingers crossed. I've only seen two skins though, and one was shortly before my shrimp disappeared x

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline hobo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »
Hi Sue and Jesnon,
Thanks for the replys.ialsofound 2 skins succesfully shed but out of 5 shrimps those could be from one of the 3 still living. i did buy 4 bright red and one half red half clear like little spots when looking close.
Im not really sure if the rummies are biting the shrimp or if they have just died thats why i was asking if anyone else keeps them together.
As for cracks along the back i cant say i noticed but if i have any more casualties then i will be sure to look for this but hope thats the end of the casualties

Thanks

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »
Shrimps are expert hiders.  So don't write them off yet.  I "lost" mine for about 4 months before I spotted them one day.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the new not-so-red ones. I do know that females are redder than males but I also know that some of my new ones are females. I got three from the third shop week or so ago and I think 2 were males as their abdomens were very shallow. The third has a saddle so is female. We went back on Sunday and I got some more. I appologised the the woman first and asked if she would be prepared to catch me specific shrimp. She said yes so I came home with 2 berried females and one saddled female, a couple more adults of indeterminate sex and some babies about 1/4 inch long. They were priced at so much for 6 and there were 9 in the bag.
I now have 12 paler red shrimp of vaying sizes and 1 bright red. I'm lucky if I can see more than 4 at any one time. I've found 3 shed skins since I got the paler ones, and no dead shrimps. Oh, and I found a very small skin in the bag after I'd acclimated them.

From things I read after my bright red ones started dying, it seems that cherry shrimp are doing a guppy, if you see what I mean. Cherry shrimp are all selectively bred to get the red colour but the very red ones (fire shrimp, sakura shrimp) are even more selectively bred. That's why my new lot are not the bright red kind.

Edit:
I've just found the last bright red shrimp dead with a white crack across its back  :(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having trouble Sue :-(

I'm now worried I've lost another shrimp... I've only seen 4 since I got home from work, and earlier I spotted a shrimp skin... however it still had a bit of red and what looked like shrimp eyes attached.... :-( I'm not sure if that's actually a dead shrimp or if something very odd has happened...

One of my shrimp is now absolutely huge and bright red. She was swimming really oddly a minute ago - just suddenly appearing in different place after different place without appearing to have even swam!?

One of my fish is behaving a little oddly... he's swimming near the top of the water very slowly, almost how they behave once the lights go out...

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rummy nose tetras and cherry shrimps?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 12:39:25 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 08:49:06 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 07:44:06 PM
by hobo
14 Replies
Last post August 29, 2015, 11:38:13 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2016, 01:07:48 PM
by Orfs
8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 08:20:15 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 05:33:35 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: