Possible Changes To The Tank - Thoughts Welcome

Author Topic: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome  (Read 24310 times) 128 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2016, 08:10:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Mine are in with harlequins and German blue rams amongst others and do ok, they soon toughened up a bit but I do try and ensure that I put food in at both sides of the tank.

Can you tell I'm a fan my little sparklers!?  ;D  cichlids and these guys are my favourite due to their unique behaviour

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
You do indeed seem a big fan of them, @Matt.

On looking at the tank, what would you say is the main colour you see - silver, blue or shimmer? I already have silver-bodied fish (x-ray tetras) and therefore keen for something different.

Also, I'm wondering how the bubble-nest creation would work when it comes to feeding time and fish are leaping up to retrieve food from the water surface - would that cause a war in the tank if the poor sparkling gourami's bubblenest were to be broken?

I had my mind pretty much made up that I'd be waiting until further down the line until I got more fish (due to not wanting to over-stock) but you're swaying me, now that I realise I probably could have a sparkling gourami or two - would one on its own be an option, do you think?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2016, 09:50:20 AM »
They are definitely silver with a blue shimmer, so perhaps not best to get a large group if you have existing silver fish for aesthetic reasons. I can't see why one would be a problem though.

Neons can't really be beaten from a colour perspective though they are also silver bodied in a sense... never kept ember terra but always been tempted too.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2016, 04:10:19 PM »
I can't see why one would be a problem though.

Hmmm - was having a hunt around saw this which as rather put me off:
Gouramis have long pectoral fins that are very tempting to any potential fin nippers, Pygmy gouramis are known as very delicate fish, quite difficult and timid. I think they would need a well-planted tank with plenty of places to hide away. Single male dwarf gouramis are notoriously unpredictable and can become tank terrorists.

Oh, to have the space for a second fishtank, with some sparkling gourami, micro rasboras, ember tetras...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2016, 07:57:25 PM »
I can only say I've personally had none of these problems... that doesn't rule them out of course...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2016, 11:15:01 PM »
That's good.

I'm ultra cautious / a non-risktaker when it comes to fishkeeping, though - I don't want to do anything that might upset the applecart, especially given how upset I get when anything happens to my fish. I think I'll put this "on hold" for now and try to get a better/sustained plant situation in place, maybe reviewing the situation if I manage to get that under better control.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2016, 07:14:20 AM »
I always struggle to succeed with plants too fcmf due to having soft water I believe and ravenous fish in the case of Brazilian pennywort.  I'm sure there is something I could be dosing to help with that - does anyone have any advice??

I have only tried dwarf hairgrass from your list of latest additions and I'm sorry to report it didn't fair well.  Please do let me know how you get on though.  I've always struggled to find plants suitable for soft water so we might be able to start a useful list. Amazon Sword, Anubias, and what I think is a crypt have been most successful to date.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2016, 08:00:01 AM »
Sue has soft water and the same problem with plants; however, she's succeeding with hornwort and Ceratopteris cornuta (an alternative to water sprite) so they might be next on the to-try list.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2016, 10:33:56 AM »
I have very soft water and my Vallis is growing like a weed. I keep having to cut runners off 'cos I don't want any more.

My Java Fern, Anubias and Crypts are growing well, but my sword plant is very slow.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »
My java fern and several species of anubias grow well in all three of my tanks.

The C. cornuta hasn't been in the tank long but it seems to be doing well. There are lots of baby plants appearing. And the hornwort in the 50 litre grows like mad. It would all be floating if I didn't loop it round a branchy piece of wood. I've read of a variety of hornwort called foxtail which more compact than standard hornwort.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
Having another wave of temptation re the sparkling gourami again, after their mention this morning.  What had primarily put me off them was the reference to "tank terrorist" but, having re-read the description, that actually referred to single male dwarf gourami, not sparkling gourami. I'm guessing that one on its own might find it rather overwhelming to arrive in a tank with 11 well-established residents? If getting 2 or 3, would it be best to try to get them sexed and having so many of each?

I think I'd be quite keen for another fish in the tank, hence the reason I keep flitting back and forth to this idea, but am limited by stocking capacity eg a shoal of small fish is too much at the current time, and my gut reaction (based on the pygmy cory experience) is that 10+ would be needed for the micro-sized fish which is completely out of the question for the tank size. Besides the sparkling gourami, any other suggestions for fish suitable for very soft water and which would complement my current inhabitants, that would be fine on its own, in a pair or up to 3 in number, and therefore wouldn't push my stocking capacity over the limit?

Offline Sue

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
Remind me, how soft is your soft water?

If it's not completely lacking in hardness, how about 1 male 2 female peacock gudgeons/gobies - you'll find them listed under both names. Seriously Fish reckons a 40 litre tank with a 45 x 30 cm footprint is OK for a couple of adult pairs, though personally I think that's a bit small for 2 males. I had two males in a 60 litre tank, footprint 60 x 30 cm several years ago and the two males I had in there did not get on at all. In my defence, I thought one was a female when I got them  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »
My favourite fish by far are my dwarf cichlids - like gourami, they are full of character.  You could get a ram (German blue, electric blue, or golden) or a checkerboard (make sure to get the lyretail variety as the normal ones get much bigger overall).  2 would be too many with a tank of your footprint.

2x Otocinclus would be an alternative too.

Also what about snails or shrimps which will have little to no impact on your stocking level.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies.

Remind me, how soft is your soft water?
My water hardness is as follows:
Calcium (mg Ca/l) - 9.24
Hardness as mg/l Ca CO3 - 28.96
Clark degrees - 2.03
French degrees - 2.90
German - 1.62
With the test kit, KH is 1.5 from the tap but 2 in the tank (due to the limestone rock) and GH is 1 from the tap but 2.5 in the tank - the previous test kit tended to be GH as 2 but 4 in the tank, so not sure how much to trust the test kits.

We just happened ;) to drop into the LFS today to have a quick browse again. Always the way that what's not that enticing one week is much more so the next week, etc.  Cherry barbs were tempting today (but that would push the stocking limit over-the-top at the current time).  The celestial pearl danios' orange fins were really showing today so they elevated considerably in the temptation stakes.  The peacock gudgeons/gobies (which grow quite big eg 7cm) and sparkling gouramis were quite pale - but they were on the bottom row and so this probably wasn't doing them justice - but might next time I go in if experience is anything to go by!

I do very much like dwarf cichlids, rams, etc - would one be happy on its own, though, I wonder..?

Otocinclus need to be kept in groups of 6+ (according to Seriously Fish) which would send my stocking limits awry.

What puts me off shrimps and snails (another one of which I found in my tank yesterday and which must have come in on last week's new plants) is that I couldn't handle finding a semi-decomposed corpse that they might have feasted on or find them actually feasting on a corpse, which they have a tendency to do.

Any further suggestions/thoughts, and in light of the above info, very welcome. Thanks. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
The last peacock gudgeons I had didn't grow anything like 7cm and there's a comment about the size on Seriously Fish. But they don't like water that soft so they are not a good choice for your tank  :-\

Neither do celestial pearl danios, though the gouramis would be OK. And most Apistogrammas would love your water. The problem is that they do need to be kept as more than one, and if they were to spawn they'd keep the other fish in one end of the tank.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
One ram would certainly be happier than 2 in your tank as there would not be enough floor space for two territories.  As to whether you feel it would be truely happy on its own really I believe is up to you... technically it doesnt need others of the same species to interact with...

Otocinclus in my opinion don't need to be kept in such high numbers, whilst they are found this way in the wild, they are not schooling or shoaling fish so to speak. I keep 2 currently and they don't interact with each other in the slightest.

I've learnt better than to question Sue but I believe celestial pearl danios would be ok - your open thoughts appreciated @Sue  :wave:

Other thoughts although someone would need to verify these are suitable.. Would a female Betta work?? Dario Dario?? What about killifish??

Offline Sue

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
I use Seriously Fish for water parameters, and that gives a lower limit of 90 ppm for CPDs while fcmf's water is 29 ppm. These are fish that can be kept in quite hard water - up to 268 ppm - which is another reason they may not be too happy in extra soft water.

Female bettas can be as unpredictable as males, and I would be wary about adding one to a tank in a household with just one tank as there is nowhere to move it to if it does turn out be be a feisty one.

Killifsh are surface dwellers, there may be some that would work but the tank could do with bottom dwellers as there aren't any already there.

Rams - while 2 males is not an option, possibly an already mated pair could work. If a male and female are put in this tank without being already mated, there could be problems if they don't like each other - no room to get away from each other. But if they were a mated pair, they could spawn, causing problems for the other fish.

But Dario dario, the scarlet badis.... these would work. Small, water requirements down to 18 ppm hardness (from SF  :) ). Tank size minimum 45 x 30 cm footprint. The problems are their need for live or 'frozen live' food, and the fact that females are not often available, and males are territorial. If females could be sourced, 1 male and 2 or 3 females would work OK.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2016, 07:02:56 PM »
I also remembered fcmf liked the look of neon tetras - so hows about Axelrods Rasbora - essentially a much smaller version!

Offline Sue

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
They do like soft acid water. In my tank with water right at the top end of their preferences, they were not a bright as neons, but would probably show more colour in softer, more acidic water.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
Really, really helpful info here; thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions, both @Matt and @Sue. (Looks, from Seriously Fish, as though the Axelrods ought to be kept in large numbers, though, with 20+ suggested! - my tank would need an extension...)

Tags: tank management 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 12:45:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
13 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 12:30:56 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: