Possible Changes To The Tank - Thoughts Welcome

Author Topic: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome  (Read 24154 times) 128 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've got clumps of riccia moss floating in one of my tanks

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
Thanks, all - very helpful. (Have conjured up an image of your amano shrimp, LF - bet you'll find it will return to do that frequently due to enjoying itself so much.)

I don't have a timer, Apache; I'm at home throughout the day almost every day and so don't have a need for it. However, if the situation changes, then that would be a good plan.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »
Brazilian Pennywort can be grown as a floating plant and might do well in your setup. It could be fixed to wood or even the side of the tank and grows small 'aerial' (not sure if I've used this word correctly but can't be bothered to look it up) roots along its length (like any other floating plant).

I'm going to get some myself this week, my lot ate it all last time I went away after the auto feeder got clogged up due to moisture ingress.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »
I like the look of that, @Matt - thanks.

Sorry to hear that the autofeeder wasn't a success, especially after you had researched it so well.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »
I was using the 'old' auto feeder at the time - I've trialled the new one since and it performed admirably over a period of 2 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEsz-_LaiU

Still going to get the pennywort as a just in case measure though!  :isay:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
As an update, I now have:
* redmoor wood with anubias, java moss and java fern attached to it (anubias and java moss ball look perfect; java moss and java fern doing ok - I've read that the dark patches on java fern are normal);
* vallis nana and vallis tiger - the former is doing better than the latter but I've had to remove some decaying leaves or parts of stalks from each;
* Brazilian pennywort - was looking good but developed holes in it overnight (despite a 20-min salt dip prior to putting it in the tank, 2 snails seemed to have been brought in with it and were to blame; I've since removed them);
* Amazonian frogbit and red root floater - the former looks better than the latter, and definitely my preference as it's less likely to clog up the filters and get swilled around the tank.

These were added in 3 fortnightly stages, to try to minimise algae growth.

The anubias was from the LFS; the java moss, java fern and vallis from Aquarium Gardens; the Brazilian pennywort and floating plants from Aqua Essentials. Overall, between the two online purchases, I felt Aquarium Gardens to be a more professional experience (answered queries immediately, packaging was much superior, standard of plants and quantity of free-floating plants better, didn't contain snails, sent an automatic e-mail with details of purchase and when dispatched) albeit more expensive (from recollection).

Still have some silk plants in but am removing approx 2 per week, to minimise loss of good bacteria.

Pic to follow.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2016, 10:36:11 AM »
Fishtank with combination of live and silk plants. May still look bare to some folk but, having watched the fish behaviour this week after additional plants were added and while there were still another couple of silk plants in it (the latter two were removed during yesterday evening's water change), it was definitely overcrowded and the fish were struggling to find a route through the tank to go about their business - it looked as though they were negotiating a maze. I've been keeping a watchful eye on the tank this morning and there's a feeling of "harmony" as though they can swim freely and pause as/when they wish.

[Have deliberately cropped picture, so that @Sue and others aren't perturbed by the low water line. ;) The filter that requires the low waterline is the filter whose filter bracket the male tetra was trapped in, yet the fish love swimming under the waterfall current and playing in it, so I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it - think, while they're enjoying playing under it, it will have to stay, as will the low waterline.]

[Health warning to @Evolution Stu that he's probably best not to look at my pics, otherwise he'll have a sharp intake of breath as to my lack of photography skills. ;)]

Offline fcmf

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »
Having a little play around on the Community Creator.

Current stocking level is dependent on whether I go with theoretical tank volume (54L) or 'true'/actual tank volume which takes into account decor plus lower water line due to my filter (45L) and whether I go with an internal filter or an oversized filter (which, with having 2, theoretically I do have, but would be reduced to one if moving one of those filters into the QT for whatever reason).

Stocking, therefore, ranges from 59% to 84% depending on which combination of the above factors is used, with 70% or 84% being based on the 'true' tank volume, depending on whether I base it on over-filtration or not.

Cardinal tetras are the top of the "contenders" list for future stocking but I think would be too risky to try now, as that would put corresponding stocking to 103% or 124% respectively. Ember tetras were particularly nice last week in my visit to the LFS but that would put corresponding stocking to 92% or 111% respectively, and, with the size and ravenous appetites of the female tetras, I'm not sure I would trust them with such small fish. I think, therefore, that shoaling fish are not an option for now as I don't want to take a risk - I know some do overstock successfully but I don't want to be forever berating myself if all goes awry.

I'm not keen on invertebrates for reasons I've mentioned before (ie heebie-jeebies if I found one feasting on one of the fish).

I do like rams but not sure that it would be fair keeping one on its own.

I take it there isn't really another option for now of any fish that could be accommodated in the tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
I think ember tetras would be do-able. They are not so small that the xrays could eat them, unless yours defy Seriously Fish's size of 40 - 45mm.
Have a look at Microdevario kubotai as well. They aren't in the profiles on here so when I had some I substituted the same sized ember tetras in the CC. You will find them on SF.

Deep orange red fish (ember tetras once they've settled in) would go with the harlequins while the green microdevarios would make a nice contrast.

Microdevarios are sold as neon green rasboras or even green tetras. The latin name is safest if the shop gives that.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2016, 06:21:35 PM »
Wow great minds think alike on this one Sue  :cheers:

The other option id recomment would be galaxy rasbora, otherwise known as celestial pearl danio.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
I keep eyeballing ember tetras, very nice fish imo.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2016, 08:49:58 PM »
Thanks - very helpful suggestions.

unless yours defy Seriously Fish's size of 40 - 45mm.
The 2 female x-ray tetras are definitely nearer the 5cm mark but both the females are now about 3x the depth and 2x the width of the males - actually quite alarming to look at. As for the harlequins, 4 of them are nearer the 5cm mark while 2 of them are about 3cm.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »
I think that both the ember tetras and the green microdevarios are lovely looking fish.
This is very exciting.  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
I think that both the ember tetras and the green microdevarios are lovely looking fish.This is very exciting.  ;D
I agree - am somewhat torn between the advantages of each of the suggestions. Shame there's no such invention (yet) as an expanding tank to accommodate one's desires, much like dining tables which can be expanded to accommodate extra guests.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »
Had a visit to the LFS today. Mr & Mrs FCMF both so tempted by the green neon tetras, neon tetras and cardinal tetras. Embers and CPDs/galaxy rasboras were in stock but no green microdevarios. Think we may need to wait until later down the line otherwise we risk overstocking, esp as many of them seem to prefer being in groups of 8+...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
Now that there's an additional, albeit unintended, tank resident in the form of a fast-moving snail (cf Think Fish Keepers Daily News), I just thought I'd check a couple of things.

Is this http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/ornamental-aquarium-snail.html the advice (eg re size of tank, water hardness, temp, etc) which I ought to follow for care or not particularly?

If I were to decide not to keep him in the main tank but move him into a tank/tub of his own, would it need a filter?

Offline Sue

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »
From the photos in the Daily News thread, it looks like a tadpole/pond/pouch/pest snail from the family Physidae - going by the shape of the foot on the glass. If it is one of these snails, they are indestructible. I didn't have any in the 180 litre tank while I was adding the various whitespot meds though I did add a couple from the 50 litre afterwards to help keep the algae under control. But they are living quite happily with the addition of 3 ppm ammonia every third day. An apple snail as in the link would have climbed out of the tank to get away from it, and a nerite would have turned it's toes up well before now.

I do nothing special for my pest snails, both this type and the tiny ramshorns, and I don't seem able to kill them from neglect. It is true that snails in general suffer from shell erosion in acidic water and need calcium to grow their shells properly, but pest snails seem to cope quite well with water of all types. And breed very efficiently.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
Thanks, @Sue - very helpful, and interesting too.

Edited to add: I've just looked at http://www.molluscs.at/gastropoda/index.html?/gastropoda/freshwater/physidae.html and http://www.ots.ac.cr/rbt/attachments/suppls/sup51-1%20Physidae/Physidae%20Information.pdf - am I correct in my understanding that it may be a hermaphrodite and thus can reproduce itself?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Shame there's no such invention (yet) as an expanding tank to accommodate one's desires, much like dining tables which can be expanded to accommodate extra guests.

Funnily enough I've discovered you can. The owner of one of the aquarium shops at Crews Hill showed me a piccy of his old set up. A 15ft wall was covered by three 5ft tanks which were also stacked 2 deep, one in front of the other. What he did was butt the tanks up against each other, cut large circular holes through them and then joined them up with silicone. This effectively gave him one very large tank 15ft long and 3ft wide! I was extremely impressed. Might be a trick for you to use @Littlefish, you can use different sized tanks as long as you make sure the level of the water in the tanks is the sme  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
mmm - that sounds like a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.  :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags: tank management 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 12:45:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
13 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 12:30:56 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: