Possible Changes To The Tank - Thoughts Welcome

Author Topic: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome  (Read 24182 times) 128 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Update this morning: breakfast was refused which is most unusual; there is some swimming up and down the glass by the harlequins; 4 tetras' tails have coloured up (the males) and these males are chasing one another and having "spats", mainly near the water surface as that seems to be the area where there's room to swim freely.

I'm beginning to think that, in small tanks such as this where space is at a premium, they value a larger proportion of more open space to swim in.

Thoughts from others would be really welcome, though - do I "ride this out" and hope they adjust (with no adverse impact on their health through what seems to be stress) or restore the tank to its original layout (and somehow create the space for a second tank to accommodate the extra furnishings)?

Edited to add: would Vallisneria, which allegedly can grow in low-light conditions albeit does better in hard water, work by being planted in a mini terracotta pot or does it need to be planted in the substrate without its roots being restricted?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
As a further update, I was planning to wait until 24 hours had passed, and, if the situation hadn't improved, remove the extra "furnishings". However, I've just come into the fishes' room (aka the living room) and... drumroll... all 6 tetras' tails are now red in colour after 23 1/4 hours. There's some more natural-looking behaviour taking place, such as the female tetras foraging for and retrieving their breakfast from the substrate. Behaviour is not "normal" or relaxed but they're taking turns in swimming out nervously in groups of 2 before returning to their original position, then the next pairing swims out a bit further and returns, etc - all at a more usual position in the tank rather than up and down the glass or near the water surface.

I think I'll leave all "as is" for now and keep monitoring the situation.

Advice re the Vallisneria, as per previous post, would still be appreciated; thanks.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »
I don't see any reason why the vallis wouldn't grow in a pot, why don't you want it in the substrate out of curiosity?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 01:06:10 PM »
I don't see any reason why the vallis wouldn't grow in a pot, why don't you want it in the substrate out of curiosity?
I just have a sand substrate ie Unipac's Tana sand. I'm assuming I'd need to change the substrate if I were to plant the vallis in it, and I think it's abundantly clear from the fish that they just don't like upheaval/changes of any sort!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
I have more than one pot of vallis in the dwarf puffer tank.
The dwarf puffer tank still has mainly silk plants, but I've been purchasing live plants for when I get the new tank to upgrade them. I had a plant tank where I kept all purchased plants, still in containers, but needed to use that tank when I collected the extra pair of dwarf puffers. In desperation to empty that thank, I just started plonking potted plants into tanks in the hope that everything would be ok. It seems to be ok (still keeping fingers crossed) and one of the vallis has even grown another plant from a side runner, which is just floating in the water and trailing roots, but still attached to the main plant.
Hope that helps.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
@Littlefish - very helpful indeed; many thanks, LF!

[Update: progress in the tank - more courage, activity and normal behaviour including swimming through the java fern or hiding on the other side of the java fern and keeping a watchful eye on me through it, as though a threatening glare not to lift the lid of the tank and do anything else for a while yet...]

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
Vallis would grow ok in sand if you want to consider that option.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »
Over the course of yesterday afternoon, the situation improved considerably to the extent of near-normality resumed - and, major newsflash - we actually have light which is being tolerated, something I thought I'd never, ever witness! I put the light on to take a photo, conscious that I was subjecting the poor souls to even more trauma than they'd already been through but intending it to last only a minute or two, when I discovered that they were actually unperturbed by it, instead of the usual, terrified reaction. Maybe, after 23.25 hours of stress, they've worn themselves out and are prepared to tolerate anything..?!

Hidden in the background include a piece of bamboo embossed in java moss (leaning against the original piece of redmoor wood, a moss ball sitting on top of 2 terracotta pots, and, on the right hand side, the additional piece of redmoor wood with an extremely amateur attempt of java fern (left), java moss (middle) and anubias (right) wrapped around it. Silk plants have been pushed towards the back. I'm under no illusion that the plants will survive, given my reputation with household plants. However, time will tell... Going to get some vallis next; thanks for that tip about it being ok in sand, @Fiona.

Photo taken deliberately close to spare Sue (and anyone else) from the 'trauma' of seeing the low water line ;) while I'm still using the original filter. I'm aware folk probably think the tank is still too sparse but I can experiment a bit during the weekly water change with positioning of silk/live plants, etc.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 12:51:56 PM »
Personally, and I know everyone has different taste, I'd get rid of all of those gaudy coloured "plants" and replace them with more realistic green, I'm sure your fish would be more comfortable then.

You need to give them time with the light on, they will get used to it eventually, a bit of "tough love" is required, they'll be better off in the long run.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
Thanks, @Richard W - I'll monitor the situation over the next while and, provided that the fish continue to tolerate the light*, and, depending on whether or not I manage to keep the live plants alive, I'll think about replacing them with more realistic silk or live green alternatives. With no tank light on for the past year-and-a-half, the tank looked very dark and so there was a need for some colour in it; however, if the tank light can now remain on, then it opens up opportunities for less garish silk plants and more options for live plants. That purple-coloured one on the left is a big favourite among the harlequins, though - the two little harlequins enjoy nesting in on the leaves, while the others have started using it for mating in.

[* I appreciate what you're saying about "tough love" although it seemed at various points that I was going to drive those fish to a very premature and sudden demise due to the stress of the new addition to the tank. Let's hope they remain unscathed from the experience.]

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of tying plants onto stuff. I think it's great.  ;D
Amazing to see your fish swimming around with the lights on. Congratulations. :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »
Thanks, @Littlefish :cheers:

I did "cheat" slightly - the bamboo embossed in java moss was bought like that :) , purely so that I could have a template to copy, of course. ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »
Of course.  ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »
Imagine how much fun they'd have in a vallis forest, the stuff slowly spreads via runners, I just cut them off and replant them when they're large enough.

and congratulations for persevering with the light  :cheers:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 06:14:21 PM »
*phew* I'm really glad it's all coming together for you. :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
Thanks, all.

Hopefully the vallis will be purchased and in the tank by the end of the week, after which I'll provide a further update.

Floating plants probably wouldn't work due to the (spare) filter in the tank which causes the water surface to move in circular fashion round the tank albeit gently. Are there any floating plants of which the roots could be gently tied/wrapped around the top of some wood ie which would float on the surface but which would have sufficiently long and flexible roots (maybe 10cm +) to keep the plants in place by them being tied to wood?

Offline Sue

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »
Hornwort isn't a floating plant but it can be used in the way you describe. When you buy it the stems will be short but they grow. And grow. I have some stems about 2 feet long in the shrimp tank. I have the kind of wood that is all branches in there and I wind the stems through the branches and allow the tops to float on the surface.
Hornwort does drop its leaves like an old Christmas tree and the older part of the stem gets bald, but I just pinch those bits out and leave it to grow longer. Every so often I take it out and throw away the scrappy bits.

I have also put some more in the betta's tank looped through a holey rock. He has taken to resting in a hammock of twisted hornwort.

Hornwort also grows well with the stems floating horizontally on the surface.

The photo is my 50 litre and the mass of fine leaved plants on the left is hornwort.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
@fcmf do you have a timer for the light? I think they are quite cheap on Ebay

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »
Timers are sold just about everywhere - supermarkets, B & Q etc etc. I prefer the digital type as they keep better time than the mechanical ones I've had.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
The frogbit in some of my tanks circulate with the flow from the spray bar. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. Last week I saw one of the amano shrimp clinging on to the underside of one of the pieces of frogbit , riding around as the plant went with the flow. I don't know if the shrimp thought it was some sort of Alton Towers style ride, or if it was too busy picking at the frogbit to even notice that it was going around.  ;D

Tags: tank management 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 12:45:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
13 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 12:30:56 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: