Possible Changes To The Tank - Thoughts Welcome

Author Topic: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome  (Read 24234 times) 128 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2016, 05:48:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Where are you thinking of sourcing your darker sand from?? I can never seem to find cheap sand that isn't really light in colour and it just looks so fake to me. I have also considered mixing them to reduce brightness...
I notice that my LFS has this https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqua-range-aqua-substrate-black-sand-20kg and this https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=5011 in stock. My current sand, bought from this LFS in the past, comes from this range http://www.unipacpet.co.uk/aquatic/aquarium-sand/- you'll see the Limpopo sand is its darkest (while I currently have the Tana sand). I found a thread on alternatives in the past as the original poster had made the same comment as you - will try to dig out the suggestions from there and let you know, @Matt, but my vague recollection was that there was no consensus on which seemed the least fake.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »
I have used the Unipac sands, and even the samoa fine looks ok.
I know that in the past I have bought 3 brands of dark sand, and one of them did feel quite sharp, so I didn't use it.

I just went into the spare bedroom where I found that I had a bag of Unipac Limpopo, so stuck my hand in the bag for a feel and it is not the one that I thought felt too sharp to use. I quite like mixing different sands to get the colours I want.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
I know that in the past I have bought 3 brands of dark sand, and one of them did feel quite sharp, so I didn't use it.
If you/anyone has fish that like to forage in the sand, I would exercise some caution with choice of substrate. In the past, I had problems with 2 of my goldfish (in separate tanks) ingesting gravel stones and choking on them, taking several hours to release them (cough them back up) - this happened one time to many, so I converted to a sand substrate in one of the tanks. The sand substrate ended up being ingested too, leaving a large pouch forming on the side of my fish's abdomen and massively thick sandy poo passing out which looked ever so painful, and ultimately I ended up having to opt for a barebottom tank. Thinking back to all of this, I'm semi-minded now to keep to what's working - my two female tetras have a habit of foraging and grinding on the sand pieces before spitting them out but thankfully this doesn't seem to have caused any problems (yet) but I wouldn't want to find that a change of substrate might bring problems with it.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2016, 06:34:02 PM »
I like the look of the unipac stuff.  I've read quite a bit about the benefits of different grain sizes. Does anyone here have their own experiences with different grain sizes they could share. I'm thinking about plant growth and ability to gravel vac etc.

Offline Sue

« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:08 PM »
I bought some limpopo sand a few years ago and never used it. I tested it with vinegar and it fizzed. It looked just like finely crushed, dyed coral. But I understand from elsewhere that the company has changed it since I got mine and it no longer affects hardness and pH.
When I replaced the sand in my 180 litre tank this summer I looked round for dark sand but failed to find any that I liked. There were black sands but they all felt sharp and granular rather than small and smooth like the sand I had, which I got again.
I would strongly recommend looking at any sand in person before buying, even if you then go on-line to buy it cheaper.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
...and ALL tank plants are, as of today, live. Six months ago, I most certainly never foresaw this being a possibility.

[Updated to add, for my own records, that I have another Alternanthera plant in, am having another go with the Water Sprite / Ceratopteris Thalicroides, and have a Bucephalandra 'wavy green' plant in there too.]

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
Just think, you doubted your ability to grow live plants, and here you are a few months later with a tank full.
Brilliant.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
@fcmf am i right in saying you have low powered light on this tank? 

I have decided to get myself a lighting upgrade for Christmas to see if I can have more success... I have a knock off version of an interpet tank and one of the things that was made cheaper was the lighting - half the number of leds on the original.  Given recent experiences with the plants kindly donated to me by forum members I think this may currently be the growth limiting factor in my tank especially in the lower reaches of the tank where of course most of the plants are...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »
am i right in saying you have low powered light on this tank?
The tank came with a Sun-Glo light but the light I actually have in it is an Aqua-Glo light https://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighting/Fluorescent-Bulbs?brand=glo [NB a light tube, not LED].

[Here's the background to the lighting: http://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/advice-re-change-of-lighting/ Oh my goodness, how different and bare my tank looked two years ago!]

Tags: tank management 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 12:45:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
13 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 12:30:56 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: