Possible Changes To The Tank - Thoughts Welcome

Author Topic: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome  (Read 24152 times) 128 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
More fish shop trips are clearly required fcmf  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2016, 10:33:26 PM »
Agreed  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
More fish shop trips are clearly required fcmf  :cheers:
Any excuse... tee-hee. :)

Notes to self re:
* otos: "There have been reports of otos feeding off the sides of certain other fish" [Seriously Fish], so perhaps not the best choice of fish for me.
* sparkling gourami: "I had sparkling gourami quite a few years ago and the sound was a bit like a short burst from a football rattle" [Sue], so perhaps wouldn't go down too well with Mr FCMF. 

Offline fcmf

« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
Observations on the plant situation:

The more recently purchased Eleocharis acicularis, Clinopodium brownei and Echinodorus rubin bought a few weeks ago seem to be faring well, and the Anubias and nano moss balls continue to do so. It’s possible that this is because I’ve reduced the time the light is on to no more than 10 hours per day or it’s possible that those bought in the LFS (from a different supplier than the online purchases) are of better quality – I plan to buy plants there from now on if possible.

Java moss (one lot partially hidden by overhanging silk plants; the other out in the open) and thin-stemmed vallis (nano) didn’t fare well at all and gradually died altogether. The water sprite also didn’t fare at all well – but it was bent double in the way it was packaged and the lights were off for most of its first week, so that most likely accounts for its sudden demise. Red root floater rotted away leaf by leaf. Each of these might fare better if the lights were on for this shorter duration rather than the ~12 hours that they had been on while I had them.

Java fern has been gradually turning rusty-brown coloured but this presumable demise seems to have halted since reducing the length of time the light is on for – and none of the rusty-brown coloured leaves are weak enough to be easily removed so I’ve left them in situ. The demise of the thicker-stemmed vallis (tiger) also seems to have halted since reducing the length of time the light is on for although there are only a few stems of it left.

The Brazilian pennywort and Amazonian frogbit have been gradually dying but at a slower rate since reducing the duration of lighting.

Bought an Alternanthera rosaefolia this morning – fingers crossed for it as it is lovely.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2016, 08:13:42 PM »
Ooh, more plants, very exciting.  ;D

Glad to hear that your plants are generally doing well.  :cheers:
I've also had problems with things like vallis melting over a period of weeks, but the one's I've bought more recently have done well (no idea what is going on really). The brown leaves on your java fern will eventually come off, but will be replaced by new greenery sprouting from the rhizome. Don't do what I did, and think it was dead so threw it away.
As for the alternenthera, the one's I have that are doing well are in what I tend to think of as my messier tanks, i.e. with fish that are messy eaters (dwarf puffers) or don't feed on anything that has fallen to the bottom of the tank (hatchets & tetra), so there is probably quite a lot of nutrients for the plants to use inbetween the weekly clean.

Best of luck with your plants, please keep us posted on progress.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
Latest observation: didn't put the aquarium lighting on for a day, with the consequence that the dwarf hair grass went from 95% to 40% green overnight (the remainder having turned yellow). Dwarf hair grass clearly requires good/regular lighting!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2016, 08:22:30 PM »
I also had no success with hairgrass fcmf... :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
I also had no success with hairgrass fcmf... :(
Yes, so I recall. That's partly why I updated the thread, to add to the knowledge base and my own memory/record of what the requirements might be for that particular plant - it seemed to be fine until the day I didn't put the lights on but went into a swift demise the following day.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2016, 08:48:24 PM »
I also came to the conclusion that it wasn't a low light plant as some advertise following my experiences with it.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
FCMF - I've recently started experimenting more with plants. It's still early days, but I having great success with Rotala rotundifolia. It's a stunning stem plant that is very easy to grow and turns a beautiful pink as it gets closer to the light.

Two weeks ago I bought Ludwigia palustris. After initially losing a lot of leaves, it seems to be growing well and is also turning redder as it grows. The Tropica website shows it turns to a very dark red as it matures and I hope this is the case in my tank.

I'm experimenting with carpeting plants of Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and C. Parva. Neither have done much since planting a month ago, but still appear healthy. They're supposed to be better suited to low light than E. acicularis, but require a fertile substrate. I'll keep you posted!

I also replanted C. balansae, C. willissii and C. wendtii from my previous setup. Neither were doing particularly well in the old gravel substrate, but early signs are that the Colombo Florabase is much more to their liking.

I've also had mixed results with Java ferns and moss. I honestly feel that the less I do for these plants, the better they do. They looked at their best so far after I had been away for almost three weeks!

Will be doing a water change and general tidy up in the next couple of days and will hopefully get some pics up then.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2016, 10:20:18 PM »
Very interesting, Cod - I'll investigate those tomorrow, and keep an eye out for how you get on. Thanks.

I also came to the conclusion that it wasn't a low light plant as some advertise following my experiences with it.
Yes, seems like another one to cross off the list. Between us, we'll hopefully be able to work out what does fare better in soft water.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
I honestly feel that the less I do for these plants, the better they do. They looked at their best so far after I had been away for almost three weeks!

That's my conclusion, too... including house plants and garden plants. I think a lot of plants are 'killed by kindness'.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2016, 06:01:34 PM »
Latest observation: the broader and thicker the plant leaf (or stem, if no leaf), the better its survival rate in my tank.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Interesting... I don't seem to be having the same results here.

I have crypts (when I don't plant them too deep), pennywort (when not being eaten) and now the hygrophila that Paddy sent me which seem to be doing really well ( ill update my thread this weekend)...   would you see these as being thin?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2016, 01:03:42 PM »
Further observations on the plant situation, as an update from post 103 in the thread:

The Eleocharis acicularis (dwarf hairgrass) didn't survive, possibly accounted for by the day spent with no lighting on.

However, the Clinopodium brownei, Echinodorus rubin and Alternanthera rosaefolia have been surviving :) while the Anubias nana and moss balls continue to thrive - in fact, the roots of the Anubias have been growing longer and longer and it's produced what looks like a little curtain and which the fish seem to like. Java fern is about 30% rusty-brown coloured but the leaves are staying intact.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
I've not had much luck with dwarf hairgrass whenever I've used it.
Great to hear that your other plants are doing well.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
A couple of pics from the tank, now with fewer silk plants and more real plants. It seemed as though the plants were dominating last week, and the fish struggling to find space to swim, but I feel as though the removal of two large silk plants yesterday has struck the balance right this time. :)

I've got the lighting on for 7-8 hours these days - this seems to be about right for keeping the plants alive, and some are even thriving and growing fast now, but without the same amount of algae as I had been getting.

Toying with the idea of putting a layer of dark sand over the current sand - I know some of it will fall through but I think a darker shade might be preferable to the fish. I'm also thinking of getting some plants to sit on the base of the tank and wind round the wood - perhaps hornwort.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Offline Sue

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2016, 09:43:59 AM »
Speaking as someone who has hornwort I can recommend this plants. The stems just grow and grow so you can let them grow long enough so the free ends float on the surface providing some shade for the fish. If you don't like that effect, they can be cut to keep them shorter. The only downside I've found to hornwort is that the older stems drop leaves like an old Christmas tree.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »
The tank looks great and it's good to hear that there is a balance between plants and fish.  :)
Perhaps some darker sand might be nice, it doesn't have to be all over, or in a consistant layer. Sometimes some variation across the substrate can look good.
I quite like hornwort, I think it's a nice soft plant that fish seem to enjoy swimming through.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2016, 05:07:15 PM »
Where are you thinking of sourcing your darker sand from?? I can never seem to find cheap sand that isn't really light in colour and it just looks so fake to me. I have also considered mixing them to reduce brightness...

Tags: tank management 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Possible changes to the tank - thoughts welcome"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 12:45:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
13 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 12:30:56 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: