Author Topic: Platy Advice  (Read 4841 times) 23 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Platy Advice
« on: November 11, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am thinking of buying 2 platy's  and i would like some advice about the best way to do this. I been doing some research and 2 females seem to be best as i don't want loads of fry. I know they may be pregnant already so i was wondering what would the survival rate be if they were pregnant.

1. Would my other fish eat the fry as i do have Gouramis Rasboras Neons Cherry Barbs.
2. Would the female try to mate with the male Gourami or hassle the female Gourami or visa versa
3. Would one platy on it's own be ok ? male/Female or again would the male chase the female gourami

I just cant make my mind up how to go about this so any advice would be greatly recieved thanks.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Platy Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
Before you get any platies, you need to think about your water parameters. Is your water soft, hard or somewhere in between? The fish you already have all like soft water, though some species are OK in hard-ish water as well. But platies are hard water fish which would not be happy in soft water.
So the first thing to do is look at your water company's website and see if you can find out how hard your water is. Some companies make it difficult to find this info, so if you can't find it, post the name of the company and we'll have a look. When you do find it, we need both the number and the units as they could use any one of half a dozen different units.
One type of platy needs a hardness above 10 German degrees, the other above 14.

But to answer your questions about platies -
If females have ever been in a tank with a male for longer than about 10 seconds they will be carrying sperm packets. They can use these to have batches of fry about once a month for 6 months or so. So it's not just the fry they will be carrying when you buy them but 6 months of future fry as well.
All fish will eat fry, including the fish that just gave birth to it. The best thing with livebearers is to let them give birth in the tank rather than a tiny breeder box. Some fry will survive, especially if there are hiding places such as plants (real or fake)
Female livebearers are not like males. Females don't try to mate with other fish, including males of their species. It is only males that do this.
While they are not a shoaling species, I think platies are one of the fish that do need the company of their own kind. But apart from males trying to mate with other species when they have none of their own females, platies are peaceful community fish. I don't think they would bother gouramis.

But you do need to see if your water is hard enough for them first.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
I found this

My ph in the tank is 7.4 

Water supply zone   Cheddar, Wedmore, Brent Knoll and Burnham-On-Sea (420)
Source / supply description   Your water supply comes from surfaces waters (lakes)
Hardness   Your drinking water supply is classed as hard.

Calcium mg/l Ca   55
Magnesium mg/ Mg   5.0
Total Hardness mg/l CaCO3   160
UK Degrees Clark (°C)   11
Degrees French (°f)   16
Degrees German (°dH)   10
Fluoride   Bristol Water does not add - and currently has no plans to add - fluoride to the water it supplies. The water we supply does contain a small amount of fluoride that occurs naturally in the source waters we use.
Fluoride mg/l   0.6

Parameter   Average value   Drinking water quality standards   Units
Alkalinity mg/l CaCO3   149   No legal limit applies   mg/l CaCO3
Alkalinity mg/l HCO3   181   No legal limit applies   mg/l HCO3
Chloride mg/l   16   250   mg/l Cl
Nitrate mg/l NO3   7   50   mg/l NO3
Phosphate mg/l P   1.2   No legal limit applies   mg/l P
Sodium mg/l   7   200   mg/l Na
Sulphate mg/l   14   250   mg/l SO4
Conductivity µS/cm   329   2500   µS/cm @20°C
pH   7.57   6.5 to 9.5   pH value
Comments   
During the report period, all tests carried out on samples collected in this Water Supply Zone met all the legal limits specified in the current Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations.

Download   WSZ_420.pdf
Download   WTW_Cheddar.pdf

Your water quality

The water quality data is for the period 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017
Use our postcode search facility to find out more water quality information
To find out about the drinking water quality standards and what they mean please see our Standards Explained leaflet.

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
There are half a dozen hardness units and in fishkeeping we use just two. These are ppm (which is the same as mg/l CaCO3) and German degrees, often called just degrees or dH in fish profiles.

This is a bit confusing as 160 ppm = 8.9 German degrees, and 10 German degrees = 179 ppm. The two figures they give are not equivalent. Looking at the other two units (French deg and Clark deg) they correspond to 160 ppm rather than the German deg figure so I would take your hardness as being
160 ppm
9 German deg (rather than the 10 they give)

This is a bit on the low side for platies. There are two species of platy, Xiphophorus maculatus and X. variatus, but most of the fish in shops will be hybrids, with a bit of swordtail also in the mix. X. maculatus needs a hardness of over 180 ppm and X. variatus needs over 250 ppm. 160 ppm is a bit too low for platies I'm afraid.

Are there any other fish species that you like?

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:50:05 PM »
Well I wanted something colourful and the plus side platys nibble at hair algae which I have some. But something nice and bright where I don't need schools of them.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »
You have gourami, rasboras, neons and cherry barbs at the moment. So something that will go with them.

There is one option - if you have a Maidenhead Aquatics near you, I know that can get albino cherry barbs if they don't already have some because I got some from there a few years ago. The male is bright orange and the female bright yellow. They also have red eyes. Not the eye ring but the eyeball itself, which apparently puts some people off. Because you already have cherry barbs you wouldn't need a full shoal of the albinos. I'll attach photos of the ones I had.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
I personally dont like the albinos and prefer a more natural look, however its up to you. Another suggestion is rainbow fish-Neon dwarf rainbows are very nice. Golden barbs dont really shoal and look, well, golden. We have one given as a freebie and it shoals with everything or goes alone

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
I am like apache6467 and not to keen on albino's. I love the look of the neon rainbow fish but it looks like it will go after my bloody mary shrimps & tangerine tigers not that they are going to survive as they keep going in the filter at the moment

Gold barbs maybe a bit aggressive according to some research.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 04:59:49 PM »
Rainbowfish have very narrow throats so their food has to be small. I don't think they'd go after shrimps any more than the fish you already have.
They are suitable for your water hardness (needing 5 to 15 dH)
Dwarf/neon rainbowfish

What kind of filter do you have that is causing problems with the shrimps?

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
Thanks Sue

I have juwel built in bio filter and they go in the grill. I have tried a filter sponge but as it gets soaked it drops away from the top grill at the bottom there is a grill but cant get to it to put anything there. already lost 2 bloody mary's as they got down wedged between the sponges but have fished out 5 and saved them. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
I used to have a Juwel Rio 125 so I know it is impossible to shrimp proof the built in filter. With it being siliconed to the tank walls, you can't cover the intake vents like you can with filters that aren't siliconed in. (Those socks made of the same stuff as tights are ideal for this with a suitable filter).

Maybe someone who has this filter has found a way round it?

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
I have tried everything i can think of and my only other option would be to set up a shrimp tank and then transfer to the bigger tank when they get bigger and cant get in the filter. The other thing is i am not sure it's worth it due to the life span of the shrimp.

How long does it take for shrimps to become adult's because if it's 6 months then it would not be worth it as i have read red cherry family live about 12 months. I think the tigers live longer as the armanos.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »
Ive taken a liking to shrimp ever since i got them in my tank today, if you wish to see them more id get a new tank, then you dont have to worry about what eats what and you dont even need a big tank, ive just got a 37L with 8 pygmy corydoras and 4 RCS, hopefully more on the way as ive reserved 10 shrimp when they come in
hope this helps

~~Apache~~

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
With my red cherries, I had a newly hatched shrimp grow enough to breed in two and half months. To be precise, hatched on 27 July, carrying eggs 5 October.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
so @Sue my shrimp should breed soon aswell!!!

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
I think it's worth considering setting up a shrimp tank maybe after xmas . one other thing would Sue would guppy's want the same conditions as platys for water hardness or are they more adaptable as again i have read conflicting reports but i would rather trust the advice from here.

Thank you Sue & Apache for your advice

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I would say that guppys are very adaptable and would be ok, if you dont want fry, get male guppys as i think that the blue snakeskin guppys look stunning!

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »
My go-to site is Seriously Fish. Here is what they say about guppies http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/poecilia-reticulata/
You hardness is just above the bottom of their range so they should be OK. Male guppies can sometimes squabble and their tails can be a bit nipped, but with plenty clean water that should heal. Female guppies aren't as pretty  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 07:14:28 PM »
so @Sue my shrimp should breed soon aswell!!!

Provided you have males and females  ;)

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19:36 PM »
well i have no idea but im sure i have both when i get 10 (hopefully) next week when my LFS has them back in stock

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Platy Advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 10:26:16 AM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 02:30:42 PM
by Greendragon
7 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 12:24:45 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 05:01:51 PM
by graygang
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 09:56:50 PM
by Cinders
6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 07:03:01 PM
by Smurrayuk
4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2015, 07:49:31 PM
by Bubblychaz

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: