Author Topic: Plant help  (Read 5907 times) 21 replies

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Plant help
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, hope your well

So i got my new tank and posted pics but then decided to get real plants.   
I opted for easy to keep and got the twisted vallis and dwarf ambulia oh and the red coloured plant that was in with some water whisteria that i bought (sry about the spelling lol)
The vallis has gone an orange/yellow and doesn't look too good but the ambulia is growing like mad
Pics attached
I only have small gravel in there
Any advice would be welcome

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
White Cloud Mountain Minnow (21) - Honey Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Plant help
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
Other side of tank

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
Hi,

Matt will probably reply but, in the meantime, a few questions:

1 What lighting do the plants have?
2 Are the plants' roots only in gravel?
3 Are you using any liquid fertilizers?
4 Are there any fish in the tank?

This will do for the moment.

JPC

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
Hi it's a aquanano tank with led bar over the top
Plants are just in gravel
I'm not using any ferts or anything cs I just wanted low maintenance
There are 3 very old neons in the tank

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »
I'd suggest some root tabs for fertiliser, they can just be poked into the gravel.
Matt will be able to help with this as he is quite the plant expert.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
There seems to be a poll on this thread, aquarium plants .v. time to settle in - does anyone know what it's referring to or who has posted it so that we can get further info on what they're looking for? Is someone asking whether it would be better to have aquarium plants during a fish-less cycle or in the early stages or fishkeeping versus waiting until some time has passed before introducing aquarium plants?

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »
Hi littlefish thanks for the suggestion will order some straight away  :)

Fcmf hi sorry I wasn't aware I'd done it as a poll I'm new to the forum  :)
What i ment was........ do they sort of wilt a bit till they get re-established in my tank  or should i be doing something to help them grow
Reading back i realise i wasn't very clear
Thank you all

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »
Hi,

In order to flourish, plants need some basic nutrients. First up is carbon. I use carbon dioxide (CO2) but that is not the route to follow if you're new to aquatic plants. There are several products known as liquid carbon. I believe that Matt uses these. Next up would be an all-round liquid fertilizer. There are loads to choose from. Three neon tetras are not going to provide the necessary nutrients. I realize that you want a low maintenance solution but, without the basics, the plants will struggle to survive.

Must dash now!

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 08:35:39 PM »
My priority is always the fish, rather than the plants, and I've not used CO2 because I was concerned about the impact on the fish. I've used liquid carbon in the past (TNC liquid carbon, in conjunction with TNC Complete/TNC Lite for liquid ferts), though the tanks that Matt has designed for me over the past 6 months are all low tech and run without it. With "easy" plants, such as vallis and water wisteria, I've found that they are ok with root tabs and liquid ferts. In fact, if you have a look at Matt's site http://scapeeasy.co.uk/ there is lots of information regarding low tech planting.
I'd hope that the root tabs would be a good start in nursing the vallis back to health, though they do seem to do better in hard water. If you decide to go down the route of liquid ferts as well, I've always been told that daily dosing works better than weekly dosing. Your red plant in particular will require more nutrients than your 3 neons can produce.
Live plants can be a bit tricky, getting the balance of ferts, light, etc correct without encouraging algae, but I'm a big fan of low tech set ups. You'd be amazed at the amount of plants that are suitable.  :)

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
Hi littlefish, I have noticed one of the vallis has shot out a side root with a new growth coming up :)
I know I need more fish in but unfortunately i couldn't source the fish i wanted so have had to wait  :)
Do you use root tabs and if so what make are they i know eBay sells them branded and unbranded so am unsure which to go for thanks for your help :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 09:32:48 PM »
Hi,

Have you considered the Anubias varieties? Anubias nana is one to consider. It's a good choice for a beginner. It doesn't even need to be planted in the substrate/gravel. Nor should it be. Being what's known as a rhizome, it is normally attached to an ornament or piece of driftwood. They are very undemanding plants. I have A. nana in my German Ram juvenile tank. The only source of nutrients is a dozen 7 month old fish.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
Well, it can't be all bad if you are seeing side shoots & new growth.  ;D

The root tabs I use are https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-fertilizer-freshwater-aquariums-ProFlora/dp/B000H6SPY0
There are plenty of other brands, perhaps go to your LFS and see what they have. I only use that brand because I always have (no logic, just one of those things).

I wouldn't worry too much about the number of fish you have in relation to your plants. Personally (and I'm no expert by a long way) I would go with root tabs and waiting for the right fish. The root tabs will provide the correct nutrients without considering the numbers of fish.  :)

I am also a big fan of anubias, as mentioned by @jaypeecee
I have various ones in my axolotl tank, tied onto various bits of decor. 👍

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:17 PM »
Hi jpc
you must be psychic lol :o I  have ordered the anubias nana this morning to attach to my bogwood also narrow leaf java fern to attach to an ornament  :D

I use to have real plants year's ago but for reasons i can't even remember i reverted to plastic or silk

I'm really getting back into real plants the natural colours and movement are so much better not to mention the benefit to the fish and tanks
Your advice and suggestions are very much appreciated thank you
Kim  :)

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
Hi littlefish

I've ordered the root balls  :)

I prefer to but something that others have used and recommend especially if it's something I've never used before.
I would never have picked these out i was looking at a capsule type thing until one of the reviews said all her fish had died the next day  :o
Thanks again

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
It can be challenging getting plants established in a new, clean, low stocked tank. Even if you intend to eventually have a low tech tank, you will need to supplement with fertilisers until you have enough fish stock to provide the macro nutrients for the plants.

It can also help initially to not vaccuum quite as much as you might otherwise, to allow the gravel to natually collect nutrients from the fish waste. Though with only 3 neons, you're not going to get much.

Also be sure to remove brown dead leaves (not the whole plant, just the sad leaves). As they rot, they will increase the ammonia levels and upset the balance of nutrients that you're trying to achieve.

If you have a look at my tank in the gallery, you can see how many plants you can have in a low tech tank if you get the balance right. But it has taken me years and several learning iterations to get to this point.  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
sorry I wasn't aware I'd done it as a poll I'm new to the forum  :)

I've removed the poll from the thread  :)

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 11:38:35 AM »
Hi thanks Helen
The tank is new but I'm using media from another tank and the gravel is half old half new if that makes sense the bogwood is old but hasn't been in a tank for a while
I will take a look at your tank

Also thanks sue :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
As far as the plants go, the maturity of the filter media doesn't make a huge difference.

Successful plant keeping can sometimes feel counter intuitive to the usual rules for fish keeping. It is possible for the tank to be too clean for the plants to thrive. As the tank matures, the waste from the fish settles in between the gravel and become plant food. This is why it can be more difficult to keep plants when only sand is used as a substrate, because the sand doesn't have sufficient space to accumulate nutrients for the plant roots.

Also what hardness and nitrate levels do you have in your tap water? I have really low nitrates in my tap water (<5%) so when I was getting my tank established I had to add nitrates at water change. Once my tank was sufficiently stocked, I stopped.

Depending on how big the bog wood is, you might want to consider putting the java fern on it instead of the anubias. In my experience, java fern prefers to be higher in the tank than anubias. I have an anubias rhizome just laying on the substrate. I had to use a ornament to stop the rhizome floating away, but it rooted into the substrate really quickly. It was a bit of a pain when I wanted to move it as the roots became huge, though.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
Sorry Im just catching up with all this!!!

Root tabs were a good decision. Testing nitrates is also a valid point, though if you really do want low maintenance I would not necessarily add nitrates as these will always be present even if in low quantities (or in higher quantities once you get your new fish!). If however you start seeing holes or discolouring in leaves this might indicate a lack of Micro fertilisers. These can be dosed weekly and do not include nitrates or potassium. Please make sure to get one with phosphates (these do not cause algae!) As else this macro nutrient will be missing from your system. The other macro I've not covered here is phosphorus, but this is added through feeding the fish as it is present in fish food. Hope that makes sense... let me know if not!

This strategy will also mean you do not need carbon dosing as growth will be slow. Liquid carbon should be avoided with vallis. I killed a whole tank of vallis using liquid carbon. The reason I used it was as an algecide. It can be very useful for this (be careful it is quite hazardous... don't breath it in!!). This fish also add co2 to the system :)

Java fern needs a decent amount of light so placing that higher up attached to decor is a good idea. You can also do anubias as Helen suggests provided the rhizomes is not burried, the rooty bits can be.

Do continue to vacuum your substrate to maintain the health of your tank... just avoid the areas where the plant roots are :) and push the root tabs down far enough so they don't release those nutrients into the water column (I can only imagine this is why the reviewer had problems with their fish).

I have grown vallis in sand with no fertilisation. It's tough as old boots :) your stem plant will feed from the water column, so root tabs not effective here, this is where you need liquid ferts as I described.

Your red plant.... to set expectations this may not make it... at the lest it is unlikely to stay red in your low tech setup. Great if you get better success with it than this, but don't have your heart set on this one :)

You have a nice selection of plants with different textures there - let me know if you want a hand laying out the tank ;

You plants looks to be doing just fine, you have new growth and that is the key, if some of it dies off don't panic, remove it, and wait for new growth. This is the plant adapting to your water.

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 04:44:35 PM »
Hi Matt

The root tabs have been ordered just waiting for them to arrive, I'm thinking to just try these first as I've already ordered them and if i see holes at I will try the liquid ferts  :)
Java fern and anubias are also on order waiting for delivery love them both and always did very well with them  :)
I was horrified when i read the review about the fish dying hence asking littlefish which root tabs she used, they will be pushed well in.
The vallis i have never had before hence my concern and questions.
Ah the red plant name unknown to me lol  :D was just there in my delivery,  no roots looking quiet sorry for itself is now standing proud with roots now attached (I know because i moved it lol) so I was feeling quiet pleased with myself.... But Matt you have now destroyed that hope (only joking with ya lol) I didn't hold much hope for it tbh the state it was in.
The new growth was a nice surprise...if I'd seen that before i probably wouldn't have posted taking it as a good sign.
Thank you for the offer of help in design i have read with interest your help to littlefish and how the tanks have come along....allll the posts right back to when the site restarted(I'm a bit of a bookworm lol) and they look lovely ad do your own tanks really stunning.
Anyhoo enuff with the novel lol ;D many many thanks to you all.
I will keep you updated
KIm :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plant help"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 05:57:34 PM
by Helen
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 12:01:42 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 02:11:39 PM
by James99
11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2019, 08:29:52 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2019, 10:26:37 PM
by Cod_only_knows
10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2023, 11:56:40 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: