Author Topic: Planning for a 125L tank  (Read 7510 times) 33 replies

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
Re: Planning for a 125L tank
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 08:29:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
No sand mountains here, thankfully, but as the tank's up against the wall, I had intended to put the taller items at the back and around the corners, whilst spreading the shorter items around the front of the tank to create depth. Instead, I've effectively lined the edges and created a clearing in the middle, so I'll have to put that right!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 06:55:40 AM »
Sorry for not replying sooner regarding the lighting - I’ve not got the same version with you - my older version doesn’t come with the app etc so it’s on a simple ramp timer I have a half hour ramp up then a 8 hour lighting period and a half hour ramp down.  For now given you may have algae issues as the tank settles in - I would leave the day length if you are comfortable with it, but it can definitely be extended in future. I would also delete night completely - I assume this is some blue light setting of some kind - this encourages algae. These settings give a low light amount in a restricted part of the spectrum. The algae can take advantage of this more easily than plants as it is a less complex organism and so you are basically giving the algae it’s own lighting period!!

Happy to help with your aquascaping should you wish...

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 09:19:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply Matt. The night mode is just blue light, so I'll knock that on the head.

I've got got an hour-long sunrise/sunset either side of a 5 hour block with red/blue/green LEDs at 70 and white at 55. It provides light bright enough to see what's going on, without stressing the fish like higher brightness does. Will the plants do best with equal levels of R/B/G?

So I know this tank's only been running for days, but I've been checking amonnia/nitrite/nitrate and my readings haven't changed from what they were previously (0/0/40 - the tap water reads 40 for nitrate too). At what point will I see a change (if at all) and when does it become safe to start adding more fish?

I want to add the following:
3 panda corys
2 female cockatoo apistos
1 clown plec
10-12 small schooling fish

Can I add the corys, apistos and plec together, or is that too much additional bioload for the tank? If I have to do it in stages, how long do I need to leave between each stage? Should I hold off on adding the plec until the tank's more mature, or will it be fine if I toss in a bit of courgette or an algae wafer? I've got plenty of bits of wood in the tank already.

And does anyone have any particular favourites when it comes to schooling fish? I'd like to keep some fish that actually move around the tank together, rather than just scattering across the tank which is what happened with my first tank when I inherited a mix of neon and black tetras. Any ideas?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 09:32:59 PM »
To take the last point first, the usual definitions are:
shoaling - a species that lives in hundreds or even thousands in the wild, and must be kept in a group in an aquarium or they get stressed.
schooling - a shoaling species which swims in a co-ordinated manner.

Few freshwater shoaling fish are schooling fish. It is usually only seen when the fish are afraid. They move as one in an attempt to avoid being picked off by that predator as a single fish would. Once the fish settle in are are 'happy', they cease schooling as you have found.
The fish usually quoted as being the most likely to school is rummy nose tetras, but even they don't do it all the time.

Adding new fish - as a general rule of thumb, it is safe to add one third of the biomass of the fish already in the tank without overloading the bacteria. By biomass, I mean the volume of the fish. For example, one female apisto probably has the same biomass as 2 large or 3 small neon tetras.
As for how often they can be added, be guided by your readings. If ammonia & nitrite stay at zero you can add the next fish after a week. But if either show up, wait till they've both been zero for a week.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 09:54:32 PM »
Well the green leds are pretty pointless in many ways they plants will reflect green light but they will absorb the blue and red and they will enhance the colours of your fish too...  turning the green leds off will likely make little visual difference anyway

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2020, 11:52:07 PM »
Matt - When I was first playing around, I found that the coloured LEDs didn't really have any visible effect unless I turned the white LEDs all the way down. If green doesn't do much then I'll turn it off and save some energy, I guess? Thanks!

Sue - My current stock of 7 panda corys and 1 apisto is 27cm according to the community creator here. That means I can add 9cm for now - 3 panda cories. That'd be 36cm, and a third again is 12cm - 2 apistogrammas. Then the plec, which puts me up to 46cm and as much biomass as possible before adding in the shoal.

I certainly don't want the fish living in fear, but it's a shame that there aren't any that are guaranteed to school together. I'm sure it'd make for quite a sight of they did! Going by the above, I've got three lots of fish to introduce ahead of the shoal, so I'll keep checking what the LFS has and making notes.

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 09:44:37 AM »
Over the years I've had many different species of shoaling fish. I've not kept rummy noses, but I currently have espe's rasboras (in the fish profiles on here as slender harlequin) and these sort of school. It's the nearest I've ever had to schooling. Sometimes they swim as a group, at other times they split into smaller groups which swim together. I have 10 and it's common to see half a dozen or 3 or 4 of them swimming together. There are 3 closely related species - my espe's (Trigonostigma espei), hengel's rasboras (T. hengeli) and the slightly larger harlequins (T. heteromorpha). They should all behave similarly.
(espe's and hengel's have several common names usually something rabora eg lambchop rasbora, copper rasbora)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 01:29:49 PM »
I certainly don't want the fish living in fear, but it's a shame that there aren't any that are guaranteed to school together. I'm sure it'd make for quite a sight of they did! Going by the above, I've got three lots of fish to introduce ahead of the shoal, so I'll keep checking what the LFS has and making notes.
I completely agree with Sue's comments about shoaling fish. Littlefish has/had rummynoses, so she may be able to tell you more about her experiences. I bought harlequin rasboras 5.5 years ago, as I was very impressed with their shoaling behaviour each time I went to visit the LFS - however, that shoaling behaviour didn't last once they were settled in the tank, although there were only 6 of them. Matt has had embers recently, so he may be able to tell you if / how much they shoal(ed) and how many he had.

A word of advice - when I bought some espeis recently, my local PAH had espeis/hengelis/harlequins all in the one tank under the name of 'harlequin rasboras'; there were approx 80% harlequins and the remainder were espeis and hengelis. I had to explain / point out which were which so that the staff member could catch the ones I was looking for. It's worth familiarising yourself with the differences so that you can be on the lookout for this, if you were planning to get some.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »
I have both rummynoses and embers - ember will group - but rummy’s swim as a group int he same direction - it is very different and a stronger behavioural trait than harlequins etc.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »
So, update time. I've added the rummynose tetras to the tank. I'd been running it for a while, all the readings were good and after growing frustrated with the apistogrammas (more on that later), I took the plunge with a dozen tetras. One of them died a few days in, but the rest have been in the tank for just over a fortnight and seem very happy in the tank. They are schooling, and are very active, which does make headcount something of a nightmare.

The Amazon Frogbit I had died. Despite being in a new tank with new lights, it went the same way as the Frogbit I had tried to keep in my old tank before. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with it, but the other plants are doing happily and growing towards the light, which I figure must be a good sign. The alternanthera especially, I swear it's almost doubled in height since I brought it home.

Now, the problem I have is with the apsitogrammas. I have a male apistogramma cacatuoides and have been waiting for the LFS to get in some more females, so that I can add two to the tank. I have two LFS (and a P@H, but we don't mention them) in reasonable distance, but only one stocks the cacatuoides. They've had two shipments since I made contact, both of which have been all male, so no luck there. Both shops carry other types of apistogramma, could I add females of another variety to the tank, or do they need to be cacatuoides to avoid fighting?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2020, 04:55:38 AM »
Whilst you can add a female of another species and it shouldn’t cause fighting it probably won’t interact with the male as you might be hoping... it’s also possible that if you add a female of the same species that they will not get on and end up fighting tho... what are your goals?

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »
Well, I had a M/F pair before, but the female passed away, so I'm left with a male. Sue suggested adding two females when I upgraded to the larger tank, to keep him happy. I'm not trying to breed them.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2020, 05:44:00 AM »
Sounds sensible to me - you would want the same species as your male I believe...

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2020, 09:50:49 AM »
I would definitely get the same species. There are named colour variations of cacatuoides and any would be good, it doesn't have to be the same colour variant, just the same species.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Planning for a 125L tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 08:02:21 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 10:37:34 PM
by Diz1
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle
9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2018, 08:44:04 PM
by Bazza2000
13 Replies
Last post September 02, 2019, 04:00:15 PM
by dwindstr

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: