Author Topic: Peppered cory eggs  (Read 3809 times) 10 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Peppered cory eggs
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just doing the rounds of saying goodnight to the gang, switching off individual tank lights, etc. Stopped in my tracks by some blobs on the front glass of one of the temperate tanks.
Tank contains female v. platies, zebra and leopard danios, and peppered cories.
A quick rummage around the internet leads me to believe that the peppered cories (I know which ones you are, I saw you nuzzling, don't deny it) have been celebrating the season, or as Fiona put it "dancing around the maypole" (still really liking that one), and have left me some presents since their last feed.
Apparently they take 3-4 days to hatch, so I guess Thursday and Friday may contain visits to LFS and MA to pick up any necessary items.
Does anyone have any experience with breeding peppered cories? Any advice will be welcomed.
The way it's going I'm going to have to split them up the way I did with the v. platies.  ::)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
Re: Peppered cory eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:10:18 PM »
Congratulations  :) Sadly the eggs/ fry will probably get eaten. I once found myself a proud owner of an extra cory, the lucky fry must have squirreled itself away somewhere until it was big enough.

If you want to ensure survival there's loads of vids on you-tube

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:42:12 AM »
Thanks Fiona. I checked out the videos. It's likely that there are eggs scattered around the tank and I've only seen the few on the front glass. I don't want to end up with loads of them, but would be interested to have a few little ones.
The small tank I have, which would have been perfect for fry, is now a snail breeding tank.
I might go to LFS and get another little tank and perhaps just transfer the eggs from the font glass.
I'll have a think about it today, while I'm working out how to separate the "active" fish.  :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:38:59 AM »
Congratulations!

I might go to LFS and get another little tank and perhaps just transfer the eggs from the font glass.

I take it you already have a little cycled filter to go into a nursery tank?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »
Yep, I have more than one "spare" filter in my tanks, for emergencies and seeding new filters.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »
Your sooooo organised!  ;D :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 08:15:50 AM »
I'll have a think about it today, while I'm working out how to separate the "active" fish.  :)

Awww don't spoil their fun  ;) I love watching cories dancing it's part of the fun of owning them. Just let nature take it's course as far as the eggs are concerned.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:23:30 AM »
My spare filters tend to be in my tanks which house those who are known to be messy eaters (puffers, axolotls).
Fiona, I will explain to the active cory pair that you have saved them from being separated, but if they could calm things down a bit then that wold be great. I felt quite bad when I separated the v. platies.
The eggs are in the tank with the female v. platies, who will eat anything and everything, so I think I might still get a little tank and rescue the eggs on the front glass and see what happens. Nature can deal with the others around the tank.
Funnily enough I just saw one of the peppered cories in the male platy tank give said male platy a bit of a nuzzle as they were swimming together. Male platy looked unimpressed.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
Peppered cory in other temperate tank has just laid eggs as well. Perhaps I should just let nature take its course in both tanks.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »
Peppered cory in other temperate tank has just laid eggs as well. Perhaps I should just let nature take its course in both tanks.

Just because there's eggs doesn't mean you have to do anything about it. If any do grow into fish that survive then great but if they don't, well thats the circle of life (where's that lion smiley when you need it!). I just enjoy watching the cories displaying their natural behaviour.

Same with my celebes, I accidentally retrieved some of their eggs on some java moss I put in the shrimpery. I was amazed when I spotted the fry swimming about and it was very satisfying to watch them grow but as the celebes pretty much lay eggs every time I do a water change, I'd be up to my armpits with them if I rescued the eggs every time  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »
Fair point well made.  ;D
It would be nice to have just a couple of baby ones, but I wouldn't want my tanks full of them with no room for anything else.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Peppered cory eggs "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:29:33 AM
by fishcake76
4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 01:23:30 PM
by Dominika
5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 12:09:28 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 07:41:33 AM
by ColinB
12 Replies
Last post July 02, 2016, 12:30:44 PM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post November 03, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2023, 06:02:52 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: