Author Topic: Nitrite at 0.05  (Read 5860 times) 14 replies

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Nitrite at 0.05
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:28:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello. 

Was just looking for some advice please.  I've just upgraded to a 250 litre tank from a 125 litres.  I used every bit of media from my filter well it was the same filter as it supports my new tank.  I used all the same wood etc just used new sand as lfs said too.  I used all of old water and added new water and prime. I did think I'll prob loose bit of bacteria with 50% extra water and loosing  old sand.

MY ammonia is 0.05 but my nitrite is showing 0.05.  So do I just let if ride itself through or should I do anything to bring it down.  I have got purigen in and polyfilter. Ive read tonic salts is good for lowering nitrites but confusses me to hell on how much to put in when looking it up on the Internet.  My pot just says teaspoons per litre.  Also have read extra purigen can help with lowering nitrites to. 

The fish do seem OK and non gasping etc but you do worry what it's doing to them.  I was worried about doing a water change as it's just had 50% of fresh water added on weds when set it up.  Also wanting to give filter a clean as its been 2 weeks but worried as don't want to loose more bacteria

What do people think I should do please.  Thank you

Maria 

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Nitrite at 0.05
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The nitrite reading is relatively low but as we know it's not desirable for the fishies... I would do at least 25% water changes daily and the fact you are using Seachem prime will detoxify the nitrite. Keep a close eye on the fish and your ammonia and nitrite levels, you don't want them creeping up....

Keep us posted, pics of the new tank would be good by the way  8)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:52:56 PM »
As @Paddyc says, water changes are very important, and increasing their frequency and size should help get and maintain ammonia and nitrite at 0, the level required for them to be non-toxic. The water itself harbours next-to-none of the beneficial bacteria, so that's not important to have when transferring fish to a new tank. The best course of action to do now is daily water changes, with the Seachem Prime added each time and which will detoxify the ammonia and nitrite for the next 24 hours (and therefore until the next water change).

I would avoid the tonic salts - while salt can be helpful for some species of fish when ill (eg goldfish), many fish do not tolerate salt at all, so best avoided. What species of fish do you have? I also don't think it's necessary to use the Purigen.

I would definitely avoid changing the filter media - it should only need to be changed when it's falling apart (not what the packaging says), and, even then, should be done in small increments at a time (no more 1/3 in any one month) to avoid subjecting the fish to a partial/full fish-in cycle. A gentle squeeze in removed tank water is all that is required when it's saturated with debris.

Hope that helps. 

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
Hello thank you both for your responses I appreciate it.  Yes it is low but just worried about if it's harming the fish. Ammonia and Nitrates are fine. The external filter needs a clean and was worried about doing it whilst nitrites was up a bit. I'll always wash it in old tank water.  I'll never replace it.  I just had to add some new filter media as the new filter I hit was bigger.  I kept every bit of media.  It all just needs a wash in old tank  water.  So do u think I should do that tom or should u wait?.  I'll do a small water change,  should I do a little top gravel filtering as can see poo on top? 

I love my fish.  My fav is my t bar chiclid.  Got a orange chromide,  rainbows,  rainbow tetras,  sword tail,  apistagramma and a golden nugget plec. 

Thanks Maria

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 11:52:37 PM »
Hope u can see the attached photo. My fishes look lost in there lol... 😂

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
The photo looks good.  :)  Is that one of the Boyu tanks with the filter built in to the hood?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
Awesome wood/plant arrangement.  :)

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
Thank you.  I love the wood arrangement and the free swimming space the other end.  I got the idea off Google.

Yes it's a boyu 250 litre.  I've read that the hood filters for it arnt very good but I've got it running along side of my external filter now.  I like extra filtration for bacteria.  That photo wasnt when the boyu filter was set up and was just running my external.  I've managed to set the hood one up now and lower my external filter pipes so there lower in the water and not causing so much current. 
 I've attached photos

Maria

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:49 PM »
Really liking your setup, great pics!

I'd leave all your filter media alone for now til everything balances out. Arguably you probably wouldn't disturb the bacteria colonies provided you were very gentle with the swishing out of the sponges etc but unless the water starts to look murky there really is no need to clean your mechanical filtration.

Once the ammonia AND nitrite are at zero and remain there for at least a month to six weeks, then I'd be doing a filter swish. I've had my tank established for ten months and have done this 3 times...

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »
Thank you.  Yes I agree I'm defo going to leave it.  It did desperately need cleaning it was very dirty.  Like muddy.  I swished it carefully.  I left every bit if media in my existing external filter  I don't like changing it for fresh media.  I have had to add fresh new media to filter hood as it came with the tank and think it's good to build up more bacteria, Then when it's established I'll clean them alternately. Thanks for all your advice everyone.  Usually I'm fine it just through me a bit cause I upgraded to bigger tank and had to add half fresh water again and didn't want to disturb the old bacteria to much from the old tank. 

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »
The only additional thing I can recommend is to replace your filter intakes with a pre-filter sponge such as the Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge.  This way the larger mechanical filtration happens within the aquarium and it adds even more filter material for bacteria.  Give them a soft squeeze at each water change.  This stops your filters getting clogged up with larger bits so the filter remains efficient and extends the time needed between filter cleaning.

After you've had the aquarium for a few months I wouldn't mind seeing you doing a review on it.

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
Hello. 

Wow I've never seen those before,  I've just looked them up..  So do i just pop one inside the intake strainer bit?  I've attached a photo. 

Thanks
Maria

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
I've just read that it should slot over the strainer.  Thank you for your advice.  I've just ordered some. 

Maria

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
I simply replace the strainer with the filter.  It's much easier than trying to stretch it over the intake.

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »
Brill thank you
Maria

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Nitrite at 0.05"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
by fishcake76
18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
by Annie
11 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 11:24:48 AM
by jesnon
18 Replies
Last post March 16, 2016, 10:17:54 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2018, 07:24:47 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 10:52:52 AM
by Fishbeard
4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2022, 02:46:15 PM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: