New Tank Questions

Author Topic: New tank questions  (Read 2885 times) 4 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
New tank questions
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:24:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Sue :wave: and everyone else,
Hope you're well and all your scaly friends too!
I am setting up my new tank and have a couple of questions please.
Firstly, I still have my platys.....quite a few, as you do with platys :rotfl: but I'm thinking of just putting a few males into the new tank and taking the rest to my fish shop....they always take my babies. Do you see a problem with this? I would prefer to keep the males as that way I won't end up adding pregnant females, which, let's face it, would be pretty much guaranteed :-\. How many would be a happy number?
My next question is, I have bought a piece of spider wood, which according to the label is pre-washed and disinfected. I submerged it in boiling water too, and then added it to the tank. Now it has developed a kind of grey/green fuzz/fur.....any ideas? Could it be harmful to my fish when I add them?
That's all for now....though I anticipate more questions to come!
Thanks in advance :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: New tank questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:41:02 AM »
Hello Resa.... hope all's well in your neck of the woods.

How big's the tank? Male platties can get a bit testy with each other if they don't have enough space and/or hiding places.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
Hi Resa, glad to hear from you again  :wave:

I had a white jelly appear on some of my wood pieces; it went away eventually. This wood was soaked in a bucket for about 3 weeks as it wouldn't sink, then the jelly appeared after it went in the tank.
But I understand that the mould that grows on some types of wood can be poisonous to fish, so unless you have some plants attached to the wood, I'd be inclined to scrub it off when it appears. If you are worried about damaging the biofilm which will be growing on the wood by scrubbing it under the tap, use a bucket filled with dechlorinated water and attack just the area with fuzz on it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
Hi Resa,

A similar sort of thread is here http://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/yucky-dark-fluffy-growth-on-wood-in-dwarf-puffer-tank/msg29693/?topicseen#new if that helps at all.

I've never kept hard water fish such as platies, and don't know enough about them to know how many to keep in a single-sex tank, but the Community Creator / Fish Profiles section may be able to help by giving an idea of maximum number under "normal" (mixed sex) circumstances for your tank size.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »
Hi Resa,

I have some variatus platies in my temperate tanks. Only 1 male, and he is in a seperate tank to the females since the babies happened. He seems fine on his own with the white cloud mountain monnows, peppered cories and amano shrimp. The females have all been seperated from the male for quite some time, and share a tank with zebra and leoprad danios, peppered cories and amano shrimp. I was given the advice that male platies didn't get on awfully well together in a single sex tank, so I didn't increase the numbers when I seperated the male. The females are all fine together though.

I am also currently doing battle with fluffy growth on someof the wood in my dwarf puffer tank, so my sympathies are with you there. I've had a similar piece of wood in with my male platy, but that hasn't had any problems, possibly because I also have shrimp in that tank.

Best of luck with your tank and I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress.  :)

Best of luck

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank questions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2013, 03:31:21 PM
by Billy
some questions

Started by george « 1 2 ... 10 11 » New Fishkeepers

211 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 11:40:38 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 09:30:30 PM
by Cazzybaby
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 06:22:33 PM
by Andy1987
0 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 04:43:14 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: