Author Topic: New shrimp tank & baby cory tank  (Read 3270 times) 6 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
New shrimp tank & baby cory tank
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I got my shrimp tank running now with new gravel & robbed some plants from the main tank along with a few floating plants recommended by sue as ammonia sinks. I am little concerned as i want to add my baby cory i found in the main tank a few weeks ago to the new smaller tank. I have been told by sue to transfer some of my media from my established tank to help the cycle process which is now what i have found out it is actually cloning.

Here is my problem tho i have 2 different tanks so the media wont fit unless i destroy part of the sponge. but i do have spare filter sponge for the smaller tank that i can put in the main tank to harbour the bacteria for the new smaller tank.

I have read on the net in various places you can take it out after a week and put it in the new tank and be ready to go providing your nitrite ammonia and nitrate are all ok. The last thing i want to do is move the baby cory over and kill it after i have worked hard to keep him alive.

I would really like to know if this is ok to do in such a short amount of time.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New shrimp tank & baby cory tank
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Any new media in a filter takes at least a month to grow bacteria, probably longer. The bacteria are quite happy where they are. They have no incentive to move into the new media straight away, they migrate by multiplying and moving slowly out from their original home.
Saying it only takes a week is common because people don't really understand the way bacteria behave.

What I would do - though other people may not be so willing - is to cut a piece off a sponge in the main tank exactly the same size as the spare media for the small tank. Then just put the piece cut off the large sponge into the small tank and fill the hole with the media meant for the small tank's filter. In 2 or 3 months time, you can put them back in the right filters.

As soon as the baby cory is big enough so it won't get eaten, put it back with the other cories. It won't be happy on its own for long.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
Thanks sue i thought a week did not sound right. I think i will cycle it the correct way over time now i dont' need to worry about the catfish.

Do you think he is big enough to release now' He is just under an inch in size so i don't think he could be eaten but my worry would be he would get bullied or out competed for food.

here is a photo of him i have just taken. 

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
Remind me, what other fish are in the tank - besides cories obviously  :)

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
Honey Gouramis
Cherry Barbs
Neon Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Lampeye's
Guppys
Corys

Tangerine tiger Shrimp
Amano Shrimp

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
The only fish I'd worry about are the gouramis (females constantly pick at food on the bottom) and cherry barbs. You can see the fish - wait until the fry looks a bit too big to fit in an adult fish mouth. But they are all smallish fish so the fry won't need to get very large.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
Thank you Sue I think I will wait another week before letting him into the main tank. I have feeling he will be around a month old next Sunday. He has been in hatchery net 2 weeks tomorrow and we had eggs a week or so before that.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New shrimp tank & baby cory tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
33 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 08:25:53 PM
by AdyDnt
0 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 03:58:55 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 10:51:42 AM
by Skittler
3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 10:29:01 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 07:41:33 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 11:35:38 AM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post November 20, 2017, 06:48:01 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: