Reading Water

Author Topic: Reading water  (Read 3961 times) 9 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Reading water
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello everyone  :wave:

Unfortunately my poor betta finally died over the weekend. I'm now left with a 23l fluval edge with only one assassin snail in residence!

Just to make matters more complicated I plan on moving to Reading soon. Since I'm not sure what made my fish poorly and I will be moving soon I'm a little stuck as to what to do. I could get another fish and later relocate them.

I may donate my snail to a friend who has a tank and shut down my tank... It seems a little silly to go through all the complications of tank relocation just for my little snail! But then I will need to go through the whole cycling process again!! Ughh!! Though maybe I can use this as a chance to sell my tank and get a slightly bigger one!? Hmm may float this idea with the partner!! Or I might end up having a break from fish though I would prefer not to!

Whatever I decide I need some info about the water in Reading. I used a potential  flat's postcode go bring up this;

The water supplied in the SPENCERS WOOD zone is HARD water.

Calcium carbonate(CaCO3): 265 ppm test

Other hardness measurements
Degrees Clarke:19
Degrees German(DH):15
Degrees French:27

I can't find any mention of pH though unfortunately. What would this mean for my potential fish?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Reading water
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
Sorry to hear about the betta.

With those hardness levels, the chances are the pH is on the high side too. It does mean that endlers would be quite happy if you want those again.

The simplest thing would be to donate the snail and add ammonia to the tank, not much just enough to give 1ppm every 3 or 4 days. Then when you are about to move, empty the tank and put the media in a bag of water. At the other end, set the tank back up and continue with the ammonia until you are ready, then do a fishless cycle but test every day as it will go a lot faster and you need to know what happens every day.
If you want to upgrade, either keep the media in a tub of water or start from scratch with new media. Even a small bit of media kept wet will seed a new filter, though cycling with take a bit longer than using all old media.

If you do get a bigger tank, it opens up your options beyond endlers  ;)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
Would a battery powered pump help with keeping the bacteria alive for longer, especially with a bit of mature sponge media bound to it?

I recently bought another one from Ebay (much to the others half's dismay!!) but we had a power cut last week and although it didn't last long I got out the battery pump and put it in the big tank.
I had to make a decision as to which tank to put the only pump in and on the basis that the fish's needs were greater as there are more of them I chose them.

I felt so guilty though that I ordered another one for the shrimp!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »
Thanks for your replies! I've still not decided quite what to do about my tank yet but I've been looking for properties and came across a place with its own 'bore water supply' - anyway know what that would mean for fishies!?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »
It sounds as though the property gets it's water from an underground source pumped into that property alone, or perhaps that one and a few neighbours. It does mean that there is no water data available on-line on a water supplier's website, you would have to test it yourself for pH, hardness, nitrate etc and get independent tests done for everything else a water company tests for. The current occupants may have test results available.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
A couple of points Sue hasn't covered; In Reading, any ground-water is likely to be hard or very hard. It will not be chlorinated.

There are implications for your health and well-being (Pun alert) too. There are a set of rules and regulations pertaining to well-water that it may helpful for you to familiarise yourself with. The place to look is the website for the Drinking Water Inspectorate. (I think it's www.dwi.gov.uk)

After a quick check, the above url will work, but what you actually want is http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/private-water-supply/index.htm

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
Ah, I wasn't sure where Reading came on the hardness scale. Locally collected water could be different from that collected miles away and piped to an area.

I have come across people with well water that have UV lamps somewhere in the system instead of chlorine. Something else to find out about.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »
Thank you everyone, hmm lots of thinking and research to do then! We find out today whether we got the house or not so I will find out more ASAP. The flat is quite new and 'eco' so I imagine the water is good quality but I have no idea how it all works! We usually use a britta in our fridge for a good supply of cold water so hopefully that's fine with this water, it's more the fish issue I'm worried about!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »
Well it's official that this will be our new home. I'll meet the landlord tomorrow so I can ask about the water etc then. I'm intrigued how it all works and how my fish keeping will go!!

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »
Good luck with the move, I used to live in Newbury, not far from Reading and the water there was hard.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Reading water"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 04:45:00 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2016, 09:40:23 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2019, 05:15:53 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 07:43:30 PM
by LeakysLab
13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2023, 06:56:19 PM
by Nan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: