Author Topic: New Bolivian Rams  (Read 3479 times) 7 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
New Bolivian Rams
« on: August 21, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Afternoon fish lovers!

Flushed with the success of fitting my first external filter (which was so much easier than I expected), I have just returned from my LFS with my 2 (final) additions for my 180 litre community aquarium – a pair of Bolivian Rams.
I've just released them into the QT, so I'm hoping that everything goes well health-wise before I release them into my main tank in 2 weeks time.
 :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: New Bolivian Rams
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
Nice one!  :cheers:

Which external filter did you go for? I plan to change to an external before the end of the year and also move to an inline (external) heater too.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
Oh Extreme One, it's great!

It's a JBL cristalprofi e701 greenline filter. Really simple (even for me) to fit and easy to maintain. The fittings all go into the pre-cut holes at the back of my juwel rio 180. It's also very quiet, which is good for me because I'm self-employed and the tank is in my office where I work all day.

Looking at the community creator, it also seems to let you have a lot more fish than an internal one (though I'm not adding any more after these 2).

It's actually been sitting on my shelf for months (I was too scared to try fitting it because I thought it would involve a lot of drilling somehow). I got it as a free gift when I subscribed to fishkeeping magazine at the beginning of the year.

My next job is to remove the internal filter casing during a future water change. Again, I'm a bit nervous about this, but I've had a kind offer from a fellow hobbyist who lives a few miles away. He's taken quite a few of these out, and he's happy do mine if necessary. :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »
That's good to know as the JBL CristalProil 701 is one of the filters I have been considering.

Does the flow rate seem strong to you? I want to ensure good flow to circulate nutrients to my plants.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Hi,

The flow rate is actually very good. I don't know what size of tank you have, but the details on the box say that it is sufficient for up to 200 litres. I've actually turned mine down by half, because I though it was a bit too strong for my gouramis when it was on full.
All the plants in my tank are moving slightly, so i think that means there's a good rate of flow round the tank.

It comes with both spray bar and 'duck bill' attachments. I'm using the duck bill, as i thought it would be kinder on the gouramis.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »
Thank you Diz1

My tank is 120L (probably more like 100L with substrate, bogwood and plants considered.)

The fact that you see all your plants moving is the perfect signal.
I had been wondering if I'd should consider JBL 901 but it sounds like the 701 would be fine.

How long is the spraybar? I hope you don't mind being bombarded with questions.  :vcross:

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
Not at all, ask away – though I'm no expert.
If you look on Amazon, some customers thought that a more powerful model would be better for larger aquariums, but I think that mine is perfect for 180 litres. That said, you can turn them down if you want to.
The spray bar (just measured) is 42 cm. :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Thank you Diz1  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Bolivian Rams"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 08:46:21 AM
by Sue
19 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 07:04:11 PM
by Diz1
9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 07:33:46 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2015, 12:12:56 PM
by Stanster
2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2017, 08:39:18 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 06:37:49 AM
by Matt
5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2019, 05:03:41 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: