New 180ltr 100cm Tank, Stocking Ideas

Author Topic: New 180ltr 100cm Tank, Stocking Ideas  (Read 8666 times) 12 replies

TigzFish

New 180ltr 100cm Tank, Stocking Ideas
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

As you will know I'm in the process of building up a planted Roma 200 (180ltr 100cm) (see my "Preparations for a Planted Tank" thread), and am now getting to the point of starting to cycle it.  Once that is done, my existing stock is to be moved from my old 64ltr tank.

Obviously there is a great deal more room in the new tank, so I can at last get more friends for the community. Having had a great amount of help using the ThinkFish Community Creator last year, I have used it again to see what additional fish I can put in.

Looking for opinions on my chosen fish and if there is likely to be any obvious issues.

First, here is my existing stock:-

QtyNameProfile
9Amano (Japonica) Shrimplink
5White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Vietnamese)link
5Glowlight Tetralink
5Glowlight Daniolink

The Community Creator recommends 6 Glowlight Danio's, so I intend to grab another one.  Instead of simply growing the existing shoals I thought it would be nice to keep the shoals small, but to add different types. As I already had to buy smaller fish for the original 60cm tank, I'm keeping the fish size small to avoud further complications. So here are my planned additions.

QtyNameProfile
1Glowlight Daniolink
5Black Neon Tetralink
5Marbeled Hatchetfishlink
6Cherry Barblink
5Blue Tetralink
4Golden Pencilfishlink
4Penguin Tetralink
4Bleeding Heart Tetralink
6Panda Corylink

Community Creator parameters:-
Length: 100cm
Volume: 180ltr
Filter Type: External

Max Stocking level: 288cm
0-1 months 20%: 57cm
1-3 months 40%: 115cm
3-6 months 60%: 172cm

Current stock level: 199cm
Stock percentage: 69%

Current water is 24o, pH 7.5, 5odKH

*edits*
Increased Cherry Barbs from 3 to 6, dropped Checkered Barbs to compensate.
Added Marbeled Hatchetfish, dropped Red Phantom Tetra to compensate.
Added Panda Cory, dropped Rosy Tetra to compensate.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New 180ltr 100cm Tank, Stocking Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
Hi Dave,

I've got Cherry Barbs and you'll get a much better 'display' with 6 (or more), 3m:3f. The males get a bit terratorial so they'll flare their fins at each other and go deep red, while the barbie girls will hang around together, then get displayed at by the boys. You might well miss out on this behaviour if you only have 3.

Your temperatures only overlap at 24oC, but that seems to be what you keep the tank at and it's big enough to be stable.

My only concern would be that they're all trying to shoal at roughly the same levels, so perhaps swap some of them out for corys to be at the bottom and (say) hatchet-fish for the top.

Just a thought. I look forward to the piccies.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
Thanks Colin,

Yeah I kinda got stuck with a 24o temperature as I'd got the Minnows without paying special attention to their preferred lower temperature.

Thanks for the tip on the Cherry Barbs, I'll increase to 6 and drop the Checkered Barbs from the list.

I located a video on YouTube for Marbled Hatchetfish, and I love 'em.  Very unusual, so I'm going to try and get some of those for sure.  So, off comes Red Phantom Tetra from my list.

I'll update post #1 when I'm done here.

I'm a bit reluctant on the catfish, given that my very nice pair of Oto's expired very quickly.  Panda Cory's do look pretty good though, and I do still have catfish pellets in my drawer that I bought for the Oto's (that they never ate).  Cory's are said to be a bit more on the delicate side, so I don't know yet. Cute though.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
I'm a bit reluctant on the catfish, given that my very nice pair of Oto's expired very quickly.  Panda Cory's do look pretty good though, and I do still have catfish pellets in my drawer that I bought for the Oto's (that they never ate).  Cory's are said to be a bit more on the delicate side, so I don't know yet. Cute though.

Oto's really struggle in transport to your LFS and then to you. If you wait for them to be in the shop for at least two weeks then (hopefully) Darwin will have sorted out the weakest. Then choose the fat, active ones to take home. If you can keep them for a month, then they should survive and prosper.

Cory's don't like nitrates over 20ppm and don't like sudden pH changes. If your LFS keeps them at a more than a few tenths different to yours then you might have trouble introducing them. However, you will have a spare tank that you could use as a quarentine tank and match it to the LFS water and slowly change it to yours while keeping an eye on them.

Just some thoughts.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »
Cory's don't like nitrates over 20ppm and don't like sudden pH changes. If your LFS keeps them at a more than a few tenths different to yours then you might have trouble introducing them. However, you will have a spare tank that you could use as a quarentine tank and match it to the LFS water and slowly change it to yours while keeping an eye on them.

Mmm... sounds doable indeed.  Having a bit of a read on the Panda's and they sound far more resilient that the poor Oto's, and are not reclusive either.

Ok, I've added 6 to the bottom of my list, dropping the Rosy Tetra to compensate.

I think that's looking a lot better now.  8)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »
Going off-topic for a moment - Tigz, how do you use the word link rather than the entire page address? It makes the post look so much neater rather than that long string I end up using. I can see the long string in the box I've quoted while I'm typing this but when it's posted there's just 'link'.

As you can tell, I'm only an entry level computer user  ;D

QtyNameProfile
9Amano (Japonica) Shrimplink
5White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Vietnamese)link
5Glowlight Tetralink
5Glowlight Daniolink

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
Move the ] to the end of the address string and add an = so you get [url=....address.string.........]link[/url] and you can write anything in the gap between ] and [ like link, click here, etc.

TigzFish

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:41:45 AM »
^^ Yep, what Colin said.  :)

If you use the 'preview' button on a new post you will be able to test it out.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
Done it!

link

Now all I have to is remember what I did  ;D

Thank you both  :D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
 8)

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
If you wish to know how someone has achieved something in a post, click on the "quote" link for that post and the quoted text should tell you what was done.  So if I want to know how Tigz lined up all his columns, clicking on the quote button tells me used a table.   8)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
I'd noticed Tigz had used a table. I couldn't work out how to do that when I first noticed the table icon so I'll look at his table if I want to work out how to use them. I must bookmark this thread so I can find the table again  :-\

TigzFish

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
There's a whole bunch of info on the forum software makers website, here's the page about the "bbCode" [clicky]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New 180ltr 100cm Tank, Stocking Ideas"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 06:50:52 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
63 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 03:53:38 PM
by Barney626
16 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 08:00:42 AM
by ColinB
98 Replies
Last post February 13, 2020, 09:16:38 PM
by barneyadi
9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:19:37 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: