Neons And Cardinals

Author Topic: Neons and cardinals  (Read 5762 times) 15 replies

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
Neons and cardinals
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Apologies if this has been asked before! I know neons and cardinals should be kept in groups of no less than 6 but can you make up the numbers with a mix of neons and cardinals? Could you say have a mixture of 5 neons and 5 cardinals or is it best to stick with 6 or more of each?

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Neons and cardinals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
They don't tend to mix 'cos of temperature requirements. Neons do better around the 22ºC mark while Cardinals are better at about 25ºC. There's a difference between 'best' and 'they'll manage'.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:44:55 AM »
Ah well that I did not know! Learn something new every day!

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
Apologies if this has been asked before! I know neons and cardinals should be kept in groups of no less than 6 but can you make up the numbers with a mix of neons and cardinals? Could you say have a mixture of 5 neons and 5 cardinals or is it best to stick with 6 or more of each?
Well... No, they are different species. When it says "in a group", it doesn't just mean 5 or 6 arbitrary fish. It means 'of the same species'.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
Was worth asking the question because I've seen so much conflicting info on the net!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
Neons and cardinals probably would shoal together but only out of desperation if there wasn't enough of either of them. They do much better in groups of at least six of the same species. It's the same with cories, a lot of people have just one of several species thinking that a cory is just a cory. But they also need to be in groups of the same species.
One thing that does annoy me is shops that have a tank of 'mixed tetras' and there are never enough of any one species to make a shoal  >:(

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
Also worth pointing out that a minimum recommended shoal size is exactly that - the least you should have - so if you can get more then it's likely to be beneficial to your fish to do so. For example, a shoal of 12 of one type (Neon or Cardinal) would be preferable to 6 of each in my view. :)

Just being nosey now, but why would you want to combine Neon's and Cardinal's as they are obviously very similar? Not having a dig by the way, just interested!

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
Purchased some additional neons today :) we had 6 originally and lost one, bought 6 more so now the group is bigger hopefully they'll be happier!

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »
It was more about the fact that I didnt want too many neons but now we've got more they look really good all together!

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:31:37 PM »
Purchased some additional neons today :) we had 6 originally and lost one, bought 6 more so now the group is bigger hopefully they'll be happier!
It was more about the fact that I didnt want too many neons but now we've got more they look really good all together!

Definitely agree  :cheers:  - a good sized shoal of Neon's or Cardinal's is an impressive sight, whatever your fishy preference. I have 12 Cardinal's and I keep toying with adding more, although my stocking levels are getting pretty high now and I'd still like to add some Peacock Gobies.

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »
I fear my stocking levels getting high! Not sure what I'll do when I can't add any more! Definitely no more space for larger or additional tanks!  :(

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »
I fear my stocking levels getting high! Not sure what I'll do when I can't add any more! Definitely no more space for larger or additional tanks!  :(

Dig up the garden and put in a pond! :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »

[/quote]

Dig up the garden and put in a pond! :))
[/quote]

Haha! Communal garden... don't reckon the residents would be too chuffed with that! 

Might stop them letting their dogs poo everwhere though!  :raspberries

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 03:18:02 AM »
Perhaps you could get Chris to come round in the night and do it. He could take away all the soil you no longer require. :))

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 07:41:13 AM »
Seems i have got a reputation as the soil theif     :rotfl:

Offline louking13

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 09:38:47 AM »
If I see that half the garden has been dug up I'll know who to blame! :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Neons and cardinals"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 07:27:35 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 12:38:25 PM
by barneyadi
15 Replies
Last post March 09, 2019, 07:21:34 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2023, 05:38:12 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: