Moving House

Author Topic: Moving house  (Read 5639 times) 16 replies

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Moving house
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey everyone, I haven't been on the forum for a while I've been busy planning my wedding an miving house, the house move has come round quicker than planned and we are moving this weekend, we are only moving 30 minutes away but I'm not sure how to go about safety moving my fish & tank?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Moving house
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
Good luck with everything! This http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/moving-your-fishtank-and-tropical-fish might be a helpful "starter for ten".

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
Agreed, in summary...

I would drain the tank (moving a tank with too much water in can crack it and or damage the seals). Keep as much of the water as possible as you want to slowly acclimate the fish to the water at your new house. Set up the tank in the new house with old water add any new and bring to temperature.

Keep filter media moist in old tank water.

Bag up the fish like they would be coming from the store and float/acclimate them as you would normally.  Keep the fish in darkness whilst transporting and keep lights off in New location, Keep fish and tank away from other moving activity to minimise stress.

If you can't do the above within a few hours, you could put the fish in a bucket with air stone, heater and some filter media. Make sure to add a lid to prevent loss via jumping (stressed fish jump).

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 06:51:30 AM »

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »
Forgot to say that if you need a lid for a bucket there are a few things that you may find around the house that can be used. Cling film or foil & tape works, but it may be worth punching a few tiny air holes with a small knife in the cling film. If you have a pair of tights handy you can stretch a leg over the bucket (depending on the tights this may take a bit of effort. You can also use paper & tape. There are lots of other things you can use, it doesn't need to be waterproof, just fish proof.  ;)

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »
Thank you everyone, I hate the thought of stressing all my fish out, I will let you all know how we go!  :fishy1: x

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
Morning everyone  :wave:
My move all went really well at the weekend been there 6 day and all the fish survived and are all back to normal I was really stressed on the journey with a car full of tank water, my actual tank and my son holding the bagged fish for dear life bless him!! So they are all set up and happy in our new home  :fishy1:
But this morning I found a shrimp on my living room floor! I feel awful because I think he must of been on my hand when I put my hand in the tank last night to move something, then jumped off and died  :( I normally feel them and see them! Poor little guy.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
Shrimp are escape artists and will climb out of the tank on heater wires etc.  I have found three to date on the floor (normally somewhat dried up!!).  Unless you seal the aquarium very well and therefore inhibit gaseous exchange this is not uncommon and will possibly happen again.  What type of shrimp were they?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
When my nerites went through a phase of climbing out of the kitchen tank I loosely stuffed filter wool into the holes so that gasses could get in and out.

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
Amano shrimp I hope he got out by himself then and it wasn't my fault!! Little buggers be ok if it climbed back in!!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:08:27 PM »
Apparently Amano shrimp can walk quite a distance once out of the tank. I've only lost cherry shrimp in this way before and they don't get far.  Not too sure why they do it, presumably to get to another source of water?

I like the filter wool suggestion Sue... will give that a go next time I get my hands on some.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Congratulations on your successful house move.  :cheers:
Glad to hear that the gang survived.  :)
Sorry to hear about the shrimp. I've not had a problem with anything climbing out of the tank (even the mudskippers), but I do try to block most exits, in a similar way to the one that Sue has described, and so far it seems to have worked well.

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
I got two new shrimp last weekend and they are all still there!
Matt that might explain how it was in the middle of the room!

I had a really bad day today I picked up my wedding dress from the seamstress and it's still too big for me at the top and she says she can't do anything more and it stinks of cigarette smoke from being at her house,
So I came home and decided to leave it and think about it tomorrow
Ordered a pizza and sat next to my fish to watch tv and relax then to top my day off noticed a tetra had got himself stuck behind the filter and died  :(
Loosing fish never gets easier

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 07:04:53 AM »
So sorry to hear about your day @fish-friends
The accumulation of issues has given you a day that quite frankly sucks.
It seems quite unprofessional for a seamstress to smoke in an area where she has clients work, especially a wedding dress. When is your wedding? Will you be able to find another seamstress to alter the dress? As for the smell, a few days hanging up near an open window/breeze should resolve the worst of the problem.
Ordering pizza is usually my response to a problem.  :)
As for your tetra, you are correct, fish losses don't get any easier. Perhaps a small amount of filter sponge stuck behind the filter may avoid this happening again. Nobody can foresee all incidents like this, as sometimes fish can get into gaps that you don't even know could be a problem. Although I understand that is little consolation considering the day that you have had.
Wishing you a much better day today.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
There are a few filters that are notorious for small fish getting stuck (the worst being the stingray filter). And it does happen to all of us. Only a few months ago I squashed a fish that had gone into the filter bracket when I was cleaning the filter and I didn't see it when I put the filter back  :sick:

Something similar happened with my daughter-in-law's wedding dress. Luckily the mother of one of her bridesmaids managed to alter it, though one shoulder was still wider than the other. A large silk flower solved that problem. Seven years later the dress is still in our spare room wardrobe as she can't bear to look at it as it brings back memories of all the pre-wedding stress she went through.
But she looked great on the day  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
There is so much pressure pre wedding, especially on the woman (this is coming from a man btw!!). I'm glad to say we had a very small low-key day which we enjoyed all the more for it.

Now to address the balance and make a true man comment... could you not just eat more so the dress isn't too small!?!?  :rotfl:

Whether you are having a big bash or a cosy affair I think its important to remember its your day and no one else's... go in your pyjamas if that's what makes you most comfortable... get the guests to join you too if you like!!  ;D

Agree with others about finding a new seamstress, I can't imagine how it would be impossible to achieve what you are after.

Good luck  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »
What a day you've had. May tomorrow be easier; best of luck.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moving house "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
moving home

Started by ann bates New Fishkeepers

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 02:20:44 PM
by ann bates
51 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
by DutchyHolland
3 Replies
Last post December 16, 2013, 10:59:51 PM
by New fish
7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
by Paddyc
40 Replies
Last post January 25, 2018, 09:46:46 PM
by Littlefish
39 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 11:49:36 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 04:17:51 PM
by SusieQ

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: