Moving Fish Internationally (to USA)

Author Topic: Moving fish internationally (to USA)  (Read 11472 times) 79 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Moving fish internationally (to USA)
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yeah, it's not looking good.  They really discriminate against pet fish. Pet cats, dogs, even bunnies are just peachy. But apparently fish are not....

So. If we fly out of Madrid direct to the USA on Iberian, it ~looks~ like the fish could ride in the passenger compartment. I'd have to figure out how to get the fish to Madrid, though. I ~think~ Vueling will allow fish in the passenger compartment. So we'd have to take the bus to Edinburgh Airport, then hop on the Vueling to Barcelona, the figure out how to get to Madrid, and then get on an Iberian to the USA.

I'm also checking going to another country by ferry or chunnel to see if there's an airline flying out of one of them that'll take BB & the Boys without having to go cargo. (Or that would let me drop them off at the cargo depot, rather than using a pet shipper. On the other end I'd have to get the waybill, go to customs, get cleared, then back to the cargo depot to get them. That could be complicated if the airport is not close to the cargo depot or customs....)

Yeah, it may be that they just need to go to a good home.  We still have a few months, so I'll keep trying, of course, but once we are literally on the move if anything goes wrong along the way - one officious paper-pusher says "I don't care that they were already approved, they're not flying" - and we'd be up a creek without a paddle.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
I really do hope that there's a suitable solution for you. Fingers crossed!

[If not, though, then at least it might be of some small consolation that you've explored every possibility. In the event it comes to considering alternatives, and again I hope it doesn't have to come to this, I wondered if it might be worth getting in touch with https://centralaquaristsociety.co.uk/ - I see there's a mention of someone who has a specific interest in cories and who might have contacts willing to give your gang a good home. Failing that, there is www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk where you can advertise for the area you live in, and www.preloved.co.uk (where there's even a recent advert where someone from your area is looking for any fish that need rehomed and is prepared to travel).]

Keep us posted...

Hi. I have checked preloved and I am not seeing the advert for someone in my area. I do see one for someone down by London, but I'm up in Scotland (Glasgow).... Can you tell me where you saw that, please?

Appreciate it.

EDIT:  Duh! I found it, nevermind!

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »
I'm also checking going to another country by ferry or chunnel to see if there's an airline flying out of one of them that'll take BB & the Boys without having to go cargo.
but once we are literally on the move if anything goes wrong along the way - one officious paper-pusher says "I don't care that they were already approved, they're not flying" - and we'd be up a creek without a paddle.
Amsterdam/KLM may be worth checking.
I agree completely, though, that there are lots of risks such as the one you describe plus standard delays and other unknowns.

The Pre-loved advert sounds like it's a tartan/kilted version of Littlefish with multiple tanks - sounds a promising option.

Keep us posted.
 :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2020, 06:22:43 PM »

The Pre-loved advert sounds like it's a tartan/kilted version of Littlefish with multiple tanks - sounds a promising option.

:rotfl:
In the past I've traveled from Cambridge to Portsmouth (I think, or somewhere south coast) to pick up some pre-loved fish to re-home due to the owner moving. @fcmf  those were the dwarf puffers that I think you may have alerted me to. I took the trip via somewhere near Dartford to drop some stuff to a girl from the axolotl forum, so it was a whole day of aquatic errands.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2020, 07:05:00 PM »
@fcmf  those were the dwarf puffers that I think you may have alerted me to.
Yes - I remember that well; so glad it worked out well for them (the previous owners who were gutted at having to part with them, and for the fish going to your good home) and for you! 
:cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
This evening I admit that I checked out the drive time from Sandhurst to Glasgow, you know, just out of interest.

I have also just sent an email to the guys that relocated my gang from Cambridge. I've given a brief overview of the Scotland to USA relocation issues, to see if they could offer any advice, or if they knew of anyone in the industry that was based in Scotland, or specifically deals with international relocation. I'm not hopeful that there is an easy solution to this problem, but I just though I'd ask. They were awesome with my relocation, and you never know who they might know that may be able to help.  :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »
Thanks so much!

If I can't take them, though, I do want to see that they go to a good home and would give the tank and equipment with them so that they'd be staying in their "home". 

:yikes:  I looked at the adverts for people wanting fish to re-home and have to wonder what Big Bertha, etc., would be fed to!  I get reeeeeally bad vibes off of that advert (the Glasgow one).

It's quite a jog from Sandhurst to Glasgow by car (6 and a half hours??). In a pinch, if you are interested in them and I'm not able to take them home to the USA with us, there's always me on the train with them in breather bags in a beer cooler! ;) 8)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2020, 10:29:22 AM »
I really do hope that there's a suitable solution for you. Fingers crossed!

[If not, though, then at least it might be of some small consolation that you've explored every possibility. In the event it comes to considering alternatives, and again I hope it doesn't have to come to this, I wondered if it might be worth getting in touch with https://centralaquaristsociety.co.uk/ - I see there's a mention of someone who has a specific interest in cories and who might have contacts willing to give your gang a good home. Failing that, there is www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk where you can advertise for the area you live in, and www.preloved.co.uk (where there's even a recent advert where someone from your area is looking for any fish that need rehomed and is prepared to travel).]

Keep us posted...

Hi. So I don't do Facebook and I am not able to find anything on the central aquarists society FB public page about how to contact them. (There's a big banner wanting me to sign up to FB that keeps obscuring most of what I'm trying to read.) Can someone who uses FB kindly check to see if there is any sort of email address on that site for me?  I would very much appreciate your help. 

Thanks.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
Can only be brief (apologies):
* Pre-loved advert's downside is its lack of detail - maybe worth contacting?
* for non-FB users, just need to click on "not now" and can see the full website - but don't see e-mail address;
* quick google for CAS and found this with contact details of CAS's treasurer http://www.tartanguppy.co.uk/information/contact.html

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »
The owner of the company that relocated my gang has said that he'll make a few phone calls, though feels he may draw a blank. You never know though, fingers crossed.  :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2020, 06:38:46 PM »
Thanks.  :D

It's pretty insane. There are no legal or paperwork requirements in the USA for bringing the guys in, other than declaring at customs that they are worth about $1 each, which is well below the amount at which any sort of duty would kick in. There are no vet certs required either to leave the UK or enter the USA. The fish are not prohibited. That one company charging £1,300 for basically a shoebox with some fish in it.... that's robbery!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2020, 08:19:37 PM »
Wow.  :o

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »
Yeah.

Just heard from Finnair. No luck - have to use a freight forwarder. So its:

American ... I'm STILL waiting to hear from their Glasgow office. But I'd have to be sure it wasn't codeshare with BA. My expectation is no.

Air France - dogs and cats only.

Aer Lingus - no go. Except as cargo. And I'd have to take the train to another city where the larger AL planes land, as they can't put the fish in the puddlejumpers as cargo.

Aeroflot - no

AeroMexico - only pets on flights of six hours or less

Agean - fish ok as pets in hold, don't do cargo to the USA.

Air China - cats and dogs only

AIr New Zealand - pet shipper.

Alitalia - dogs and cats only.

ANA - no fish

Brussels Air - cargo. pet shipper

Delta - cargo. Requires a pet shipper.

El Al - checking. They allow birds in the cabin....

Finnair -  They allow rodents in the cabin.... No, have to go cargo and require a shipper.

Iceland Air - no

Japan Airlines - pet shipper

KLM  -  only cats and dogs

Korean air - no

LOT - need to contact, website unclear

Lufthansa - pet shipper

Norwegian Air - no pets.

Quantas - pet shipper

Swiss AIr - pet shipper

Transat - dogs and cats only

TUI - dogs and cats only.

SAS - no

Singapore Airline (flys out of Manchester or London) - they take fish as "cargo pets" - that translates to "cargo" requiring a pet shipper.

United - cargo. Requires a pet shipper.

West Jet - no

Offline fcmf

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
Some friends moved from Scotland to USA ~16 years ago with a whole menagerie of pets (rabbits, reptiles of numerous sorts, etc). I got in touch with them and their reply was "From what I remember of the process, it was expensive and involved some paperwork. I seem to remember that the plane ticket for the animals cost more than ours! We had to pack them up in a very specific way per the regulations. The animals flew British Airways, I recall. I think it depends on whether the animals are on the CITES list or not as to how they have to be documented." I notice you don't have BA on your list but numerous regulations have probably come in since then, and BA almost always codeshares with other airlines (from what I can gather), so I'm not sure how helpful this is likely to be to you, @Nan, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »
Some friends moved from Scotland to USA ~16 years ago with a whole menagerie of pets (rabbits, reptiles of numerous sorts, etc). I got in touch with them and their reply was "From what I remember of the process, it was expensive and involved some paperwork. I seem to remember that the plane ticket for the animals cost more than ours! We had to pack them up in a very specific way per the regulations. The animals flew British Airways, I recall. I think it depends on whether the animals are on the CITES list or not as to how they have to be documented." I notice you don't have BA on your list but numerous regulations have probably come in since then, and BA almost always codeshares with other airlines (from what I can gather), so I'm not sure how helpful this is likely to be to you, @Nan, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thanks, yeah, I'd checked BA early on. No dice.

The process to bring mammals into the UK is brutal.  :o  You have to bring them in through only Heathrow, I think. (Unless you fly into some other EU country like France and then drive them across through the chunnel to save the money.) There are vet certificates, and all sorts of immunizations and test results that have to happen before they get on the plane. There used to be a 3 month quarantine once they got here - not sure if that's still the case or not - on top of that, and it had to be at an approved facility. (I had looked at moving over here about 20 years ago and had a pet cat at the time.)  And mammals back to the USA... not as bad, as the UK is considered a "rabies free" country. Most airlines require a health-check, but that's about it.

CITES shipments are a whole 'nuther level of complex, yes. (Amazing what I've learned about moving animals around the world while trying to find out how to get our fish home.)  And then there are shipments of animals of all varieties via an EU country. Where EU regs kick in.

The big problem with sending them "cargo" is that while "pet" fish theoretically should just be able to sit in a shoebox under the seat in front of me in the cabin, with no paperwork or intervention required, "Animal Cargo" has all sorts of requirements, including Vet inspections, special paperwork, etc., etc., etc.   It's the pet-shippers/cargo company that jack up the prices, not the airline. The cost to have a pet in the pet baggage hold is a couple of hundred pounds, pretty much, across the board. But once it becomes "cargo".... £1,300.

Now, if I lived near an Air Canada facility I could take the fish directly to the Air Canada freight center and drop them off. And if there was an Air Canada facility in the USA near when we'd be I could go to that place and get their paperwork, take it to the US customs office, get it stamped, and then take it back and pick up the fish.

Unfortunately, there's not an Air Canada freight facility in the UK, apparently. And the closest one on the other end is Toronto. Which I'd be willing to fly into, pick the kiddies up, and hop an Amtrak down to the States and carry on from there.

So, still trying.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »
Iberia Airlines. As long as I'm flying on an Iberia-flagged flight (not a code-share), there can be fish in the cabin!!!!!!

Of course, I find a solution and look what happens to all international travel. ::)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Your timing is impeccable.  ;)

Though probably easier to transport a fish than a human at the moment.  ::)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »
Ain't it, though?  :o

I have to think that this is actually not doable, because I'd have to get to Madrid to catch an Iberia flight. And then get slapped into a two week quarantine when we landed.

We are looking to adopt the fish out. Obviously, we now have much more time in which to do so. My daughter is checking among her circle to see if anyone wants the full tank setup with fish. It's not looking really promising at present. It will be nice to have them for company, at least, if our household has to go into full lockdown next week (I think they are going to tell old people to stay home) or if illness strikes. They are cheerful, happy little fish and give us many hours of joy watching them.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
So, now that all of the corys are in the big tank, with the small tank packed for the move back, they're having a great time. So great that they are breeding en masse every couple of weeks. It's kind of epic when they all start at once.   :o     It looks like the fish that were in the little tank were all females and they are now mature enough to breed. I guess that makes me a fishy great-grandmother now?  Big Bertha and the Boys are still doing well.

We are still stuck in Glasgow. And it looks like we will be for some time, since the USA is actually behind the curve we have here. So things will get better here before they get better there. How I'm ever going to find movers... but that's all to deal with later!

I have been able to find a bottled water that has a pretty decent mineral content (Highland Spring Water) and so I add a couple of litres of that to the tank after I've had to vacuum out the eggs, to kind of supplement what is not really in much of a supply here in our drinking water.  The fish are thriving.  :D The one that lived out the first month or two of it's life in the filter is still with us.

Hope you folks are all well and staying safe.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2020, 09:01:36 PM »
A bit of an update on this topic.
The fish have relocated from Glasgow today and are currently exploring a quarantine tank in the Littlefish household.

I had a lovely trip to Edinburgh, where I met @fcmf for a chat, before I headed out along the waterfront for dinner. Friday required a trip to the Edinburgh Royal Botanic Gardens, before I drove on to Glasgow.

This morning I collected the fish from @Nan and we started our long journey south. They were transported in a stack box inside a large polybox, with a battery operated air pump & some filter media from their tank. We got home early evening and they were acclimatised to their temporary tank.

Sorry the pics are a bit rubbish, but I didn't want to put the tank lights on during their first evening, so I've just used the room lights.

The quarantine tank is a bit smaller than this gang are used to, though the ultimate goal is to move them into a larger 200L tank with Bertie the BN, the gold stripe corys, lemon tetra, glass bloodfins & various shrimp & snails.

Fingers crossed that this adorable gang settle in their new home.  :)

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: