Moving... A Long Way!?

Author Topic: Moving... a long way!?  (Read 136434 times) 51 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Moving... a long way!?
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Definitely know where you're coming from! I hate moving! Hopefully with the week off i have between work and now everything will be unpacled and sorted and ill at least have some idea where I am! I'm really hoping the next time we move will be into a house we've bought meaning we won't have to do it again for a long time! I think.I'm being very optimistic though ha. Stress levels have definitely been high!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »
Well done, Jesnon! ;D You've made it! I hope you and yours will be very happy in your new home :D :D :D

Moving is SO stressful, isn't it? I'm just glad I didn't have my tank when we moved to France! It was bad enough doing it with dog, cats and canary....plus all the contents of our house.....don't want to be repeating that ???

Have a lovely weekend...and don't forget to relax a bit ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:35 AM »
I can only imagine how stressful moving to a different country would be!

Fish and shrimps are all doing great, they seem to have decided they really like one end of the tank in its temporary place and are constantly swarming there begging for food. it's peas for them tonight!

I'm currently surrounded by boxes and have no idea where to start. To make matters worse there's an issue with the electrics in the kitchen and every time I try to boil a kettle or cook food the fuse flips. Not good at all as it means the tank.turns off every time. Luckily it's always been easy to notice and I switch the fuse back and give up using electricity... Just worrying for my fishies and soul destroying for lack of tea!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »
As the flat is rented, I would be on to the letting agent asap just in case. My son rented a house off a friend and a previous tennant (when it had been a council house) had done some rather illegal rewiring. There were sockets connected to the light ring and all sorts. He had to turn the whole fuse box off to do anything, even something as simple as removing the ugly light fitting, as he had no idea what was wired into where. If you using something in the kitchen trips the fuse, maybe someone has done a bit of diy electrical work and not done it properly.

Offline Resa

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
Hi Jesnon,

What??? No TEA!! You can't have that...it's a basic human right ;D

I agree with Sue that it is something you should report to the letting agent, it's what they get paid for.

Have you checked it's not your kettle though? Have you tried plugging it in, in another room, that is on a different circuit? If it still blows...it's probably the kettle. Or it could be the problem we had, which was that everything was on the one circuit, so whenever we put the kettle on and something else came on like the microwave, the circuit would blow. Everything was all on one circuit instead of being spread around.
If you are unsure what circuit feeds what, you can remove the circuit breakers or fuses one by one, and see what stops working and what supplies what sockets etc.

None of that probably made any sense :-\ I know what I mean and I don't understand what I've written :-\ :-\
Well, good luck, Jesnon, have a lovely 1st Monday :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
Thanks guys - first thing this morning I got onto the letting agent but from our dealings with them so far unfortunately they seem quite useless. when i reported it the only response I got waa 'ok. Is that it?'. And that someone from maintenance would call today. They didnt seem at all apologetic or bothered!

It's odd since it's a brand new building I thought something like this wouldnt be an issue at all. Originally we thought it was the kettle but it works fine plugged into the lounge! It's just everything in the kitchen - my tank (three plugs) runs ok and the fridge from what I can tell but as soon as I try to use anything else including the electric oven fitted in the kitchen the whole thing trips :/ it sounds like the situation you had Resa. Hopefully my letting agent are better than they seem and actually do something about it! I'll keep hassling until i hear an actual response e.g so and so is coming at this time though!

It's so hot in the bedroom - apparently 27 degrees it's too much to unpack a lot at a time especially after the weekend we had. Hoping after my cup of tea made in the lounge that I can power on!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »
Anyway back to fishy related things!

So in the next couple of days I'll have sorted all the furniture to where I want it and need to move the tank. A few questions:

On the moving article it suggests removing most if the water and carefully moving the tank with fish still in for small tanks. Is that.actually ok to do or should I do what I did before but in smaller form?

I have several options for fish tank placement which all have downsides...

One putting the tank in front of our large windows to the balcony, which would mean a lot of sunshine and thus algae

Another is putting the tank in front of a radiator, unfortunately I can't turn that radiator individually off and so would either have to not heat the lounge or risk the fish getting too hot :/

The third option is probably the most sensible but the most disappointing visually - having the stand to the side of the radiator and the tank the furthest from it. This may still lead to heat problems but less so. Unfortunately the only downside to this is that my dining table would be on front of the stand so I wouldn't be able to fully see the tank :/ silly flat, it obviously wasn't designed with fish in mind!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
Since your tank is very small, you should be able to get away with leaving a tiny amount of water in the tank (just enough to keep the fish covered) bu be very careful carrying it. Do you have a board of some sort that you could put the tank onto, and handle the board rather than the glass itself? The danger comes with the water sloshing around inside the tank. Tanks are designed to cope with the pressure of the water on the glass and seams when stationary; it's when the tank twists or the water sloshes and puts pressure on the glass and seams in a way is not designed to cope with that does the damage. The safest way would be to empty it completely.

In front of the windows would also heat the tank up during weather like we've had this year, and in front of a radiator is not the best position either.The fish tank in our lounge (first the 60 litre, then the 125 litre) has been in 4 different places since I got fish, and none of the positions has been perfect including where it is now. You can only see it when sitting in my mother's recliner chair! Which is why I'm often found sitting on the floor in front of the tank.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 08:52:22 AM »
Hmm I might just empty the whole thing then if that's the safest approach - catching the fish will be a nightmare again!

It's hard work finding the perfect spot! Actually I was eyeing up the coffee table which is now in the corner as a perfect fishy spot, I don't think my partner would be too impressed though since we bought the stand especially for the tank! Still... The stand would look nice with some plants on :P

Unfortunately my partner thinks the last more sensible option isn't practical so I guess the tank will have to be next to the radiator unless I can come up with some creative furniture placements :/

Sitting on the floor in front of my tank was my place of choice too. now I just stand next to the tank in the kitchen :-)

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
Mine was originally in front of the window in my study Jesnon but got waaay too hot - up to 29 degrees some afternoons (don't worry, that was pre-fish).  I've now moved it to in front of the fireplace which is blocked off with hardboard as it's never used.

I hope you get sorted OK.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline jesnon

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
Ouch! Yes I hadn't even thought about the window heat issue, but I was sat in the lounge area yesterday baking in the midday sun and thought how silly I'd been not to! I'm toying with the possibility of swapping the tv stand for the tank stand which might work well. It's so hard to tell without moving everything around - I already rearranged my bedroom this morning and our spare room still has everything plonked in the middle at the minute!

The fish are happy enough in the kitchen for now so there's no big rush to move them, it's not like we can even use the kitchen and they're in the way either as the electric issue still hasn't been sorted!  ::)

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »
If it's any consolation, my daughter and her boyfriend moved from a 2 bed house to a 2 bed flat nearly 2 months ago and still have loads of boxes unpacked.  So you are not alone Jesnon. ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moving... a long way!?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
moving home

Started by ann bates New Fishkeepers

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 02:20:44 PM
by ann bates
7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
by Paddyc
20 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 07:10:08 AM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 11:13:19 PM
by Evolution Stu
16 Replies
Last post September 01, 2017, 10:24:13 PM
by fcmf
39 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 11:49:36 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: