Moving... A Long Way!?

Author Topic: Moving... a long way!?  (Read 136446 times) 51 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Moving... a long way!?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
If this were possible do you think the bucket would be OK with a heater stuck to the side?

If you could arrange the heater so the end with the element doesn't come into contact with the plastic, that would be fine. The hot end might damage the plastic if it touched. You can use plastic storage boxes as emergency tanks (eg when the proper tank leaks) as they are cheap enough to rush out and buy just to have somewhere to put the fish, so keeping them in a plastic bin for a couple of days should present no problem. Just make sure the bin is thoroughly rinsed before use.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
I think that would be possible. Had a bit of a change of plan now and think we will be moving the tank with the first batch of stuff on Friday - so I guess we'll move it straight onto the floor in the new flat first and move it on top of the stand the next day. However if we could just add the heater and filter in the bucket and add the fish in before moving them into the tank the next day that would be a lot easier!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
Was also thinking of the possibility of changing my gravel to sand whilst this is all going on.... not sure if this is a terrible idea though!?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
Good luck Jesnon - Im sure it will all be fine, just try to stay calm  ;)

With the plants, I just uprooted them the day before and left them floating in the tank. I didn't acutally take anything out until I was ready to strip the tank down next day (Sorry, I don't think I was clear in what I meant when I said about it to you). Though of course, its entirely up to you how you do it - Im sure you've got your plan well rehearsed in your mind.

With regards to your gravel, Im sure Sue will give you sound advice, as always! Im actually quite interested to hear what she says on that one. Im 50/50. Yes it sounds logical to change over to sand whilst you've got a great opportunity to do it, but on the other hand, I would think that's the last thing you want to do (losing all that biofilm on the gravel) during a move. Oh, by the way, I found that it was an ideal time to give all my gravel a good clean - I put the gravel in a bucket of dechlorinated water brought up to temp (as though for a water change) in order to save as many microthingamies as possible and gave it a good swirl-round. Wow, the amount of gunk that came out was amazing!

Hope you like your new home and settle quickly  :)

EDIT:   afterthought as usual - I used a small dustpan & SOFT brush (Tesco £1, bought specifically for the job - not one I brush the path with!) to get the gravel out. I'm not sure how big your tank is, so it may or may not be a worthy/practical tip.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
Ahh that makes perfect sense with the plants! I only have one planted plant anyway so that should be easy enough!

That's what I was wondering about the gravel - I didn't want to be killing off any more bacteria. It probably is better to keep it anyway, I've just regretted my gravel choice since I got it! Looking at my tank atm though it's not so bad, so if it is unwise I'll keep it! So did you move your gravel in water? I guess it would kill the bacteria if not but I hadn't thought that part through yet. I know what you mean about the gravrl clean, even during a normal water change I'm horrified by the muck!

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
If you just had the endlers, I'd say take the risk of changing the gravel when you move. But you also have shrimps, so I'm going to say wait to change the gravel as a mini cycle could harm the shrimps.

If you are going to move the tank first this is the way I'd do it.
Bag the fish, shrimps, plants and filter/filter media as late as you can leave it. Put some water into another bag and leave it open for now. Put as much remaining tank water in the bin as you can without sucking up any muck from the gravel. Follow Chucklett's idea for washing the gravel, then put it into the last bag and tie it. Throw away the mucky water left in the tank and in the water change bucket. Move. When you get to the other end, put the gravel, fish, shrimps, plants and filter into the bin together with the heater. (If the water has cooled too much during the journey put the heater in first and wait till it's warmer before moving the fish). If you think it is possible, I think I would roll down the bag with the gravel so you expose as much as possible without it all spilling out and leave it like that in the bin as it'll make it much easier getting it out of the bin before the fish. Or even put the gravel in a plastic tub in the bottom of the bin. You need to allow the bacteria on the gravel assess to oxygen and ammonia/nitrite so you can't leave the gravel in a tied up bag for a couple of days. Once you've got the furniture sorted, put the tank where it's going, then put the gravel in the bottom. Part fill the tank from the water in the bin, move the fish, shrimps and plants into the tank, empty the bin and top up with new water. And the filter and heater.
Don't forget to unplug the heater half an hour before taking it out of the water.

You will lose some bacteria. The inside of the tank itself will have some, and if that dries, they will die. Similarly the filter casing if the whole thing won't fit in a bag and you have to take the media out. The tank has been cycled quite a few months now, so the biofilm, with the bacteria in it, should be well embedded into the filter media so they should come though with little damage.
Feed the fish very lightly for a few days after the move and keep an eye on your water.
I would also be inclined to do several very small frequent water changes (even if you don't need to because of a mini cycle) just to get your fish acclimated to Southampton water.

Once you know the bacteria have settled down completely and the fish are back up their normal feed, that's when I'd change the gravel. It is going to mean more messing about with the tank, but I'd rather do that than risk the shrimps.

When you do get around to changing to sand, the best advice I can give you is wash the sand very thoroughly. It usually had a huge amount of dust in it. At least with an Edge, you won't have too much to clean  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 01:27:20 PM »
Phew that is amazing advice Sue! Will definitely be doing all of this! I didnt even think about the gravel needing oxygen or anything like that. Fingers crossed my little bacteria survive in the most part!

Offline Resa

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
Good luck with your move, Jesnon....I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »
Thanks Resa! Now it's nearly moving day I'm getting increasingly worried about this!

Offline Resa

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »
Hi Jesnon,

I have been a daft bat, and posted about your moving on the wrong thread....(I'll be back on Steve's list ::) )
Anyway, I've put it over on the 'I'm back' thread. Honestly, if I had a brain I'd be dangerous :D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
Ha you'll definitely be in trouble Resa!

Sue I have a dilemma for you....!!

So I've now established that the filter won't be able to be run in the bucket unfortunately. Instead what we were hoping to do is tomorrow move both the tank and stand in the same van load, and set the tank up again straight the way the other end. However the estate agent has put a bit of a spanner in the works so we need to go and sign our contract and collect keys at 4:30pm tomorrow.

So that would mean us loading up the van etc tomorrow (the fish would have to be done relatively early on as well so we can put the stand in the van before a lot of other stuff as it's quite large). We'd leave around 2ish, then be signing contracts etc which I have no idea how long it takes... then getting to our flat and unloading. Depending on how long everything takes that could be a very long time for my poor fish - maybe even 6 hours?

However, I can't move the tank on Saturday or Sunday because there won't be room in the van for me and I'll be in Southampton unpacking Saturday and Sunday....

My partner was saying we could put the fish in the big tub we have with all the water etc, and that way I can open up the tub to let more air in, but I'm not sure if that is feasible? I think the tub will fit in the polysterine box we got given as it's quite huge for my few fish etc, so that may help keep the water warmer. And I can keep them on my lap / in the front to try and stop them sloshing around too much in the process. I'm sure there's probably a reason this isn't recommended though!

The other option would be for me to empty most of the tank and then move it onto the floor in my current flat so that we can take the stand etc. Then I would have to make a day to come back and move the fish but this could mean leaving them alone for a little while since I'll be living in Southampton and them in Bristol...

I just don't know what to do now... I think my brain has started to shut down due to the stress of the move and I just can't work out a straight forward / sensible solution! Sorry to pile the pressure on you Sue for an answer!! You've essentially become my move planner - so grateful for this!!

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
Hi Jesnon.     This may, or may not, be of any use to you, but I am sort of mid way between you and Southampton.   Do you come anywhere near Shrewton on your way, as I will be home on Friday and Sunday if you wanted to drop the fish off here, to save them doing a long journey in one go.   Perhaps you could send me a pm if you think it would help and we can arrange something.  Cinders.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »
Hi Cinders - what a lovely and generous offer! I'll see if Sue comes back with any nuggets of wisdom and get back to you ASAP about that!

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »
You can move the tank and stand both tomorrow?

It shouldn't take long to sign the contrats. My younger son has done that recently - and the letting agent will want to go home on Friday evening.

You could bag the fish/shrimps tomorrow, put the media in a bag of water and the cleaned gravel in another bag of water. And put as much of the rest of the water as you can get out clean into the brew bin (do that before tackling the gravel.) All bags one third water and two thirds air. If your dechlorinator dectoxifies ammonia, add some of that to the fish and shrimp bags as well. Fish and shrimps both travel overnight in the post so as long as you can set the tank back up sometime tomorrow evenng, they should be OK. The bacteria on the media and gravel should be OK as well - remember it is now know that they can go a lot longer without food than we used to thnk. And they'll have oxygen from the air in the bag.

It is going to be extra hard work for you tomorrow evening as you must get the tank set back up on its stand before you go to bed.

The other option would be to take up Cinders' offer. Bag up the fish, shrimps, media etc, then set it back up at her house. Then go and collect it at a time to suit you both.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
I think I was panicking unnecessarily then by what you're saying Sue! So as long as I try and get the tank set back up again ASAP tomorrow it should all be fine? That would make life a lot easier!!

I think I'm just going to go for it tomorrow then so it's all sorted out in one day - but thanks so much for the offer Cinders! :-) I think I'm calm again now :-)

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
I would probably panic in your situation. I haven't moved with a tank (yet). But I have moved my 125 litre from one side of the lounge to the other and the process is the same, just quicker. I used a 60 litre dustbin and put all my fish and decor-with-plants into that. Luckily for me, my filter fit in and could be run in the bin so I could take my time getting the stand perfectly level.

Something I have forgotten to mention - don't clean the filter media. Just bag it, goo and all. At the other end, you'll probably find the bottom of the bag full of muck. Lift the media out of the bag, put it back in the filter and then pour the water, muck and all, into the filter. Once it's attached to the tank of course. That muck probably contains bits of detatched biofilm complete with bacteria and you want to save as much as you can.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »
OK Jesnon,  if you change your mind its ok.   I shall be here anyway,  but not Saturday until evening.   Good Luck, hope all goes well.   

Cinders.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
Thanks Sue! And again Cinders for your offer! I'm not onroute to Southampton but during the moving chaos (long story) the stand is still back in Bristol. so unfortunately it's going to be a case of setting it up in southampton on the floor before moving it again tomorrow to put on the stand. Ugh!

Emptying the tank, moving the fish etc.... Traumatised! My poor fish and shrimp. Also I forgot how damn quick they are! It took me so long just to catch and bag them all!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
So I think things went better than I thought! Tank and inhabitants are temporarily on my kitchen counter and all seem happy, they were begging for food pretty much straight after going in the tank! Shrimps don't even seem too bothered, they were happily re-exploring and scuttering around. Fingers crossed! I'm probably going to wait until I've decided on definite places for all the furniture before moving the tank onto it's stand.

Thanks for all your help and good luck wishes everyone! Now after no sleep it's back to lugging furniture!

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
It may be 22 years since we last moved, but in the first 15 years after we married, we moved 5 times. Most of the moves were job related and my husband's employer paid for a removal company but even then it was stressful. On 2 occassions I spent the first night in the new home sleeping on the sofa bed after huge rows with my husband just from sheer exhaustion.
I do feel for you. You will get sorted in the end.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moving... a long way!?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
moving home

Started by ann bates New Fishkeepers

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 02:20:44 PM
by ann bates
7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
by Paddyc
20 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 07:10:08 AM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 11:13:19 PM
by Evolution Stu
16 Replies
Last post September 01, 2017, 10:24:13 PM
by fcmf
39 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 11:49:36 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: