Missing Fish

Author Topic: Missing Fish  (Read 4894 times) 7 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Missing Fish
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:09:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Saturday I added 6 forktailed rainbowfish to my tank and 3 have vanished without trace, I'm gutted not only because they are beautiful fish but because they were damned expensive and I don't want to add any more until I know what's happened to them! Ditto a Purple Harlequin Rasbora and 7 Celestial Danios. Water tests on the tank come back as normal, if they'd died and rotted you'd expect raised ammonia levels and mine are 0.

1 danio was found floating on the surface of the first tank the next morning and I got a refund for that one as I took it back to my MA (I had to give them a water sample to test and the results were perfect) but there is no sign of the others not even at feeding time.

I feel so helpless as I don't even have a corpse to explain other deaths. Anyone know what could have happened?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Missing Fish
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
Hi,

To ensure that we've got all the info we need, just to check (i) you added the new fish to Tank 3 in your 'footnote' ie so the only occupants were the existing snails, plus your new purchases of 6 forktailed rainbowfish, a purple harlequin rasbora and 7 celestial pearl danios, and (ii) 3 forktailed rainbow fish have vanished and 1 celestial pearl danio has died?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »
Profile updated, that's what I'm left with in the tank now.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
Flippin heck!! I got home about 20 mins ago and another purple harlequin has just vanished. I'm testing the water again now. Could the largest of my glassfish be responsible do you think?

edited to add: the ammonia and nitrites come back 0 If there were dead fish in there you'd expect it to be raised wouldn't you?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 01:27:44 PM »
Unless there's some way the fish could have jumped out, or been sucked into the filter, I should think it most likely that they have died and been eaten afterwards. If the glassfish was eating them before they die, you should see some signs of it/them chasing the smaller fish. If they are ignoring the smaller fish, then it would ,seem unlikely they are killing them.

Finding the reason for fish deaths/disappearances seems to be most tricky. The fact that you have recently introduced new fish is probably not a coincidence though.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
2 female threadfins are missing as well now. I'm going to check the filter but I have to say I have noticed the larger of the glassfish 'charging' at smaller fish.

Offline dino

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
Hi Fiona, did you get to the bottom of the missing fish puzzle? ive been following this thread with interest as ive had 3 glowlight tetras vanish without trace.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »
Hi dino, I think I did.

I rehomed the indian glass fish after I saw one of the larger ones chasing a small endler across the tank and suddenly my losses stopped.

A weird coincidence maybe? I'm not sure but when 60% of new stock vanishes from a tank (all small fishes as I prefer to buy juveniles or the youngest I can sex) it does stop and make you have a think. I've since restocked the missing fish from exactly the same stock and had no bother at all and had zero losses. The fish I bought had all been in my MA for quite some time so they were all fit and healthy when I bought them and I do select individual fish rather than letting the staff just net whatever they catch first (they don't seem to mind thank goodness)

I was quite fond of the glass fish and my son really didn't want to re-home them but I'm afraid losing £100 worth of fish hardens your heart a bit. 3 of my glass fish had been coloured, the other 3 were natural form and they were very well fed on assorted live food and 2 of them were absolutely massive and they were all very healthy. I know they're listed as peaceful community fish but as most of the ones you buy in this country are coloured and because people mistakenly think they're vegetarian I'm wondering if maybe they're rarely seen at their fitest iykwim.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Missing Fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 08:34:07 PM
by Puffin
21 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 03:46:14 PM
by fcmf
11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2017, 06:00:35 PM
by fruitbat
12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2018, 02:18:31 PM
by fish-friends
6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2018, 08:35:45 AM
by Littlefish
47 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: