Mating Mayhem From Silver Tipped Tetras. Advice Needed.

Author Topic: Mating mayhem from silver tipped tetras. Advice needed.  (Read 6309 times) 14 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Mating mayhem from silver tipped tetras. Advice needed.
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I was sitting here about an hour ago as the light was going down watching the sun reflect off the bodies of the silver tipped tetras I added to the 200l on Sunday. The photo in the website database doesnt do them justice at all. The males have really coloured up and look gold and amazing when the sun hits them.

However  :( within the last hour they've gone into spawning mode, the males have got territorial and they're chasing anything that goes anywhere near where they're displaying! I've never seen a tank go from peaceful swimming to chaos before.

What happened to peaceful community fish? They're ignoring the cories and the snails but anything else is getting pecked and chased away!

Could the sunset be triggering the spawning? I can't keep them if they behave like this as they're stressing out the rest of the fish.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
Re: Mating mayhem from silver tipped tetras.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »
I've got the same going on in mine with one of the male cherry barbs, Fiona... Frustrating as you say when everyone is nice and peaceful then one of them switches into football hooligan mode and starts bullying everyone else...  :vcross:

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Mating mayhem from silver tipped tetras. Advice needed.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:45 PM »
Two suggestions:

* catappa leaves can have a calming effect - although don't do what I inadvertently did when I added the cooled water that I'd boiled them in into the tank, resulting in an overdose;
* approach the tank as I do, giving a stern look and declaring that there will be no nonsense/bullying in the tank :isay: which at least can serve to distract them unless the behaviour is in full frenzied mode.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
Two suggestions: * catappa leaves can have a calming effect - although don't do what I inadvertently did when I added the cooled water that I'd boiled them in into the tank, resulting in an overdose;

Ahh I hve some, I'll chuck one in

* approach the tank as I do, giving a stern look and declaring that there will be no nonsense/bullying in the tank :isay: which at least can serve to distract them unless the behaviour is in full frenzied mode.

Believe it or not but I actually tried that, unfortunately I doubt they noticed as they whizzed past my finger in a mad blur. My son tried to film them before he went out but was gobsmacked firstly by the colour change and then by the speed. The males look nothing like the golden fish I've got now. They were a washed out yellow in the shop.

The rest of my fish apart from the cories are all kind of gathered in the middle of the tank and the stiphs are all hiding. My 'supposed rainbow' has a couple of shrimp in his pot with him

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:36:38 PM »
There's still a little bit of too-ing and fro-ing but nothing anywhere as near to what was happening earlier. I'm going to try and find out what the spawning time generally is for the silver tips. If its sunset specific that fine and avoidable but I cant have fish behaving like that in an otherwise chilled community tank.

dearie me  ::)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:49:47 PM »
If it's anything like the way the tetras are, I have to move elsewhere to avoid feeling voyeuristic or seasick with that relentless and frenzied pursuit which lasts throughout the duration of the morning on those mornings when it occurs. Like your other fish, the harlequins just gather in the middle, looking perplexed or else go to investigate and "get sent packing".

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:30:03 AM »
relentless and frenzied pursuit which lasts throughout the duration of the morning on those mornings when it occurs. Like your other fish, the harlequins just gather in the middle, looking perplexed or else go to investigate and "get sent packing".

Relentless is the right word for it. I've never witnessed that sort of fishy behaviour before.Its a good job the tank is 3ft long, I'm sure they'd be unable to put the brakes on in a smaller tank! I'll try and get a piccy of a male when I get back from college. They've turned into beautiful looking fish.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:11:29 AM »
I have a tank with CPDs which normally I rarely see. They spend all of their time hiding away in the plants, just nipping out for a second to grab food. However, starting yesterday and continuing this morning, they are racing around the tank like crazy, what looks like mating behaviour. Maybe the change of weather is having some sort of effect, we know that air pressure changes can bring about this behaviour. The Corydoras habrosus in the same tank are showing similar activity. The only other idea I have is that yesterday evening the sunlight was full on the front of the tank for about an hour, this rarely happens as it needs the sun to be shining at the right time of day for a few weeks each year, otherwise sunlight never reaches the tank. Allowing sunlight to fall on an otherwise dark tank is a commonly recommended method of inducing some fish to spawn so perhaps this is what is happening?? It was about this time last year that the CPDs spawned.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
It does seem as if the majority of aquatic house mates are full of the joys of spring for quite a lot of us, which makes sense I guess.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 04:47:05 PM »
The sun was shining on the tank. I must remember to close the sitting room curtains when I leave in the morning, I forgot I did it last summer.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »
My peppered cories have left me some more presents. I was only out of the house for a few hours to do some shopping, came back and thought "those eggs weren't there earlier".  :-\

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
I have never yet seen a fish egg. The harlequins are perhaps still a bit young to be producing any but, in all the "shenanigans" of the tetras, I've never yet seen an egg / eggs produced. Granted, the two tetra females would have them devoured almost immediately but, considering the amount of time I spend with the fishtank in my line of vision, I would have thought I would have seen some. Perhaps the temperature isn't quite right.

What exactly do they look like - clear-coloured or not, size, etc?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:43 PM »
I have attached a picky of one of the clumps of peppered cory eggs on the front glass of one of my temperate tanks. The eggs are small, around 1mm across. They have laid some more since the last time I posted.
It's a little frustrating as I was planning on emptying that tank so I could plant it. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
You are unlikely to see eggs unless they are from cories, cichlids or similar which attach the eggs to a solid surface. Most fish scatter their eggs, which are very small and will be eaten immediately. Egg laying tends not to last long, maybe just a few minutes, often first thing in the morning. Once it's done, it could be weeks before those fish lay again. Harlequins are notorious for needing particular conditions and rarely breed in an aquarium.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 08:21:38 PM »
Thanks, Richard - that's helpful and explains why I haven't seen anything. [Also, thanks for the pic, LF - definitely haven't seen any although an egg in isolation might be easily missed if only 1mm in diameter.]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Mating mayhem from silver tipped tetras. Advice needed."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 06:41:44 PM
by suep
3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 12:02:16 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 04:49:00 PM
by george
1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2014, 02:01:33 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 05:06:23 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 10:23:27 PM
by sunshine
9 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
by Cod_only_knows

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: