Male Dominance Or Flirting?

Author Topic: Male Dominance or Flirting?  (Read 14069 times) 15 replies

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
Male Dominance or Flirting?
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:10:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have 2 mollies, I was told in the shop that they are both males, one is bigger than the other and chases the little one around although it isnt all the time, am I right in thinking if it was a female he would be on her 24/7? Also he raises his dorsal (?back) fin when hes doing it. Have I got a male and female? or 2 boys that are either playing or bullying?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Male Dominance or Flirting?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
The way to tell males from females is by their anal fins. Those are the single fins underneath the body just in front of the tail. A female's anal fin is the normal fan shape. A male's has changed into a gonopodium. This is rod shaped and he uses it to impregnate females.
Have a look at the platies in the photo here
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/platy.html
The red fish with black fins at the bottom right and the yellow fish at bottom left are females. You can see their anal fins are fan shaped.
The fish in the middle and the red and black fish at top left are males. You can see their rod shaped anal fins held against their bodies.

Mollies look the same. There are some shop workers that can't tell the difference  :o

Once you have decided if you do have 2 males, then yes, the one could be displaying to the other. Livebearer males have one track minds and if there are no females, they try to mate with each other, and any other fish in the tank. I have several male endlers in my community tank and they are always chasing other and displaying to each other. I've even caught them dislaying to my green neon tetras.

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
Thanks Sue. We just checked and they are both boys. Can this behavior cause any harm to the little one? I will be putting more fish in at a later date possibly a betta? i thought about a red shark (pet shop said this is fine) but i think the tank is too small (60x30x30cm, 60l). Any other suggestions? (not snails, they creep me out!)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
It is possible the big one could decide to pick on the small one, you'll need to keep an eye on them for a while, hopefully the little one will grow and catch up with the big one.

I agree, the tank is too small for a red tail shark. It is too small for anything with the word shark in its name.

In your other thread, you said you've just got the API test kit. Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite yet?
I've not quite worked out if this is a brand new tank and you've just added your mollies as the first fish? If this is the case, you can't get any more fish until both ammonia and nitrite stay at zero. Until then you'll need to be doing large water changes every time you see a reading above zero for these two. They must not be allowed to get above 0.25 or the mollies will get poisoned. They may not die straight away, but they will be more likely to get sick and die young.
Once you've had zero ammonia and nitrite for a week without needing to do any water changes it will be safe to get more fish; very slowly. You'll only have grown enough bacteria in the filter to get rid of the ammonia made by the two mollies. If you get a lot more fish at once, the bacteria won't be able to cope until they've multiplied to make more.

Of course you might have done a fishless cycle using ammonia, in whcih case ignore that  :)

The two mollies take up quite a bit of the the stocking allowance for your tank. Even the smaller black mollies take up a fifth while the bigger sailfin mollies take up a third, and are probably too big for the tank.
I wouldn't put a betta in a tank with mollies. They can be quite agressive and a betta with his long fins could get picked on.

As for what fish to get, you are a bit limited in choice. You need small fish to fit in your tank, but fish big enough to avoid being eaten by the mollies.
Do you know if your water is soft or hard? Does your shower or kettle get furred up - that's hard water. Your water company's website should also tell you somewhere on it. It is easier to choose fish if you know the hardness.

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I have tested the water: PH 7.6, Ammonia 1.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm (slightly drker than colour on chart but not dark enough for 0.25ppm) Nitrate 0ppm (again slightly darker than colour on chart but not dark enough for 5.0 ppm)

As for water hardness we wouldn't say we had hard water (no kettle or shower fuzz) but water co. website says our area is moderatly hard.

This is a new tank set it up on new years eve, left it running then put the 2 mollies in 3rd Jan (shop said this would be ok) only been feeding small amounts. water temp is set at 25°c, both fish are active and eating well.

Bit gutted about the betta (again shop said this would be suitable future tank mate  >:( )

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
Jokerfish, you are doing what is known as fish in cycling. You urgently need to do a big water change to get the ammonia level down. And read Sue's post on fish in cycling under the filtration and cycling pages.

At 1ppm, the ammonia is burning the gills of your mollies. It is a bit like us swimming in sewage. It might not slow you down, or drown you, but the long term affects aren't going to be very good for your health.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »
With an ammonia of 1.0, you need to do a big water change asap. Drain the tank so the mollies just have enough water for them to be able to stay upright (maybe an inch left in the bottom above the gravel) then refil it with water at about the same temp and has had dechlorinator added. If you feel the temp of the old water with your hand, then warm the new water till it feels the same, that's close enough. To warm it - if you have a combi boiler (ie hot water made instantly, no hot water tank) you can use water from the hot tap. If you have a hot water tank, boil a kettle. This is because hot water tanks are fed from a cold tank in the attic, and these tanks are open topped so all sorts of nasty things can get in them.

Unfrotunately, you are yet another victim of shop advice. They very rarely tell you what to do to set up a tank properly. You are now doing what is called a fish-in cycle. Until enough bacteria grow in the filter, you have to do the filter's job by doing water changes to remove the ammonia made by the fish, then the nitrite that the newly grown ammonia eating bacteria will make. Here is a 'how to' guide:
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html
The important thing is to keep the two poisons, ammonia and nitrite, as low as possible by doing water change until the bacteria have grown in the filter. The highest reasonably safe level is 0.25. It'll take a month or two for the bacteria to grow.

One piece of advice I give to every newcomer - don't believe the shop. A lot of them will say anything to get a sale. Others don't have a clue. Think of them as used car salesmen, you wouldn't believe everything they say  :)
Use the internet. Not just here (I have been known to be wrong  :o ) but anywhere. Research every fish before you buy it.

Mollies like hard water. They can suffer in soft water, though we do have a member here (Chucklett) who successfully keeps mollies in soft water. Because yours will be on the edge of their comfort zone, it is even more important that you do the water changes to get rid of the ammonia and nitrite as even low levels could push the fish over the edge.

Don't worry about deciding on more fish for now. Concentrate on getting your mollies through the cycle. Hopefully Chucklett will see this thread and have ideas on what you can get once the cycle is finished  :)

Edited for terrible spelling  :-[

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
I have changed the water as you said, I read the fish in cycling article you wrote, I think I may have been overfeeding I was feeding them 3x per day each time a pinch of flakes, too much? I've only fed once today (before water change), I thought about feeding every 2 days.

I will test again tomorrow, do I need to do all 4 tests again or just ammonia and nitrite?

Sorry for all the questions, I will get this!  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »
At the moment, just test for ammonia and nitrite. If you have to do frequent water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels as close to zero as possible, all the nitrate test will show is the amount in your tapwater. And all the water changes will kep the pH stable as well. Nitrate will be useful later on - once the filter is cycled and the tank is fully stocked, nitrate can be used as an indicator of your maintenance regime. I'll explain it later  :)

On the subject of pH, can I suggest you run a glass of tapwater, test a bit straight away, then leave the rest of it to sit for 24 hours and test it again. You'll probably find the pH is different. One commonly asked questions is why is my tank pH diffferent from my tap pH. The answer is often simply due to the pH changing on standing. Mine goes up by 0.2.

Fish can go a week without food with no harm. Feeding once every two days while cycling will stop the ammonia reading going up as fast.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:34:47 PM »
Mollies like hard water. They can suffer in soft water, though we do have a member here (Chucklett) who successfully keeps mollies in soft water

I think this is because of my very strict tank maintenance. I once read an article that stressed "clean water" is the key for mollies....... "Clean, clean, CLEAN water. Oh, and did I mention the water must be clean?" (thats what the article said LOL!)
I used to do 35% water change (cleaning the gravel) every week without fail and the filter cleaned monthly.
But because I now have an ongoing tapwater problem, Im down to 25% weekly with a 50% change every so often to make up for the smaller weekly change. And when I say "weekly", that means I do it every 6 or 7 days, strictly not beyond day 7.
I may change this to 25% twice-a-week rather than have the large change thrown in every so often.

Hopefully Chucklett will see this thread and have ideas on what you can get once the cycle is finished
Thats throwing me in the deep end Sue! I have no idea on compatability between species. The only fish I have with my mollies are SAEs (which are far too big for Jokers tank), Otocinclus and Amano shrimps. I dont really know anything about fish I dont have.

I have a list of fish that I would not get again if thats any help? (none of these have been kept in my molly tank)
Microrasboras - Seem to be a very weak fish. Of the 12 I bought, I have 3 left
Threadfin Rainbowfish - Seem to be quite weak. Of the 12 I bought, I have 7 left
Forktail Rainbowfish - Classed as peaceful but the odd male can be quite vicious. I actually took one male back after he killed three females. I now have another male that likes the tank to know he's boss.....
This is just my personal opinion. All these fish are very beautiful... maybe I have just been unfortunate with them?

Sorry I cant really help  :-\

Edit (after thought):

Sue - My mollies are very chilled out. They rarely even bother the fry once they're a few days old. I think this is because the tank is large and only half-stocked. With Jokers tank being smaller and home to two males (with no females), would it be a good idea for him/her to wait and see what the mollies temperament is like before deciding on the next fish? The behaviour of two males in a smaller tank may not allow for more inhabitants?

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »
I tested the water again; ammonia 0.50, nitrite 0, so 25% water change?
Also doing the ph test on tap water at the moment ran a glass of water last night, I tested with both the ph and high ph test in the kit, ph result was 7.6 high ph result was 7.4 water co. website says its 7.66, I will test gain later when it has stood for 24 hrs.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
A 25 % change will only get the ammonia down to .375, still too high. A 50% change will get it to .25which is still too high because it will go over that by the time you test again. I'd do a 75+% water change. That'll get the ammonia below 0.25 and it will take longer to cross that threshold.

Your freshly drawn pH is in that grey area that appears on both tests. With your results, I'd opt for 7.5 as being the pH of your freshly drawn water. It'll be interesting to see what the pH will be after 24 hours. If the pH is lower than 7.4, it still show as 7.4 on the high range test as that's the lowest it can go. With the mid range, 7.6 is the highest it can go, so anything above 7.6 shows as 7.6.

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
Water changed  :) will keep going with feeding every 2 days and testing/water changing  will post an update on how this is goung in a few days (or panic 'cos its all gone wrong and post sooner!  :D) tested the ph on the standing water after 24hrs and the results were exactly same as 24hrs previously.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
It doesn't always change, but you need to know it doesn't so that if you find your tank pH is different, you can rule out the fact that it changes on standing and look for other causes.

Patience is the word with fish  :)

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
Hi I keep testing and changing water, so far the nitrite test has remained at 0 each time still getting readings for ammonia. when should I expect a change in nitrite?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
The nitrite is made from the ammonia, by the bacteria. So you will see nitrite when your ammonia starts to fall.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Male Dominance or Flirting?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 10:21:59 AM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post February 02, 2014, 06:41:44 PM
by Naomi12345
25 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 07:31:43 PM
by Cod_only_knows
1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 09:32:39 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 06:46:02 PM
by Lynne W
9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2018, 06:33:48 PM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 11:03:30 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: