Large Pregnant Female Guppy

Author Topic: Large pregnant female guppy  (Read 5152 times) 4 replies

Offline paul6566

• Fishy Contributor
Large pregnant female guppy
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a female guppy which is very large and heavily pregnant - Im currently breeding guppys and Ive studied them a while now. I have a 60 litre set up with 5 female guppys in, the other fish have given birth to a very heathly brood but this 1 particular female is reluctant to drop - Ive done a 10 % water change and turned the heater up very slowly as to increase the water temp as I believe this can spur them on> is there anything else I can do ? I keep my eye on her daily to see if she has dropped in the night but she still remains very fat !!!!! any help or advice very welcome thanks - paul

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Large pregnant female guppy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »
The first thing to check, just in case (I always like to cover all possibilities no matter how remote) - does this female's scales stick out when viewed from above? It's only a vague possibility but you need to rule out dropsy rather than hanging onto fry as a cause of her size.
Is she almost square viewed from the side? Most livebearer females 'square off' a couple of days before dropping, I presume the others did?

I have 3 adult female endler-guppy hybrids, and to be honest I've never noticed any particular thing that triggers them to drop fry. I know other members have platies and mollies, perhaps they can suggest what works for them.

Offline paul6566

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
Hi Sue - thankyou for your prompt reply to my post  :) I can gladly say her scales arent sticking out as Ive looked at her from all angles - she is very healthy looking and eating well. Still very large and hasnt dropped yet - I did a 20% water change on Saturday  - and past water changes the other females dropped fry during this time as I believe water temperatures spur this on. Im very particular with my water changes and I always have the water ready to go back into the tank at the same temperature and I use airline to slowly add the water so as not to stress tank mates out. I may try and take a picture of her tommorow and post it  :) any other advise you have for me sue would be very kindly recieved - thanks - paul

Offline paul6566

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
Hi Sue - just an update on my recent post, all well and I think she is dropping fry quite slowly looks like a few a day as she is reducing in size although still quite big for a female guppy. Ive probably got now around 30 or 40 fry all feeding well on microworm and crushed flake. I need to start thinking now about separating the males from the females as I know they are sexually active after 6 weeks ??? not quite sure. I have 2 set ups 1 of which is for males and the other one for females,both with the same water quality.  I have 7 females in total all quite big... the fry at the moment are around 3 weeks old and already I can see colouration starting to develope everyday. I just need to highlight the males and females at this stage - how do I recongnise them lol   paul

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
The length of time for males to become active varies. The thing to look for is the development of the gonopodium. I have endlers and they are quite similar. All fry look female when they are born. The anal fin is female-shaped. When the male fry start to mature, the first ray of the anal elongates then the fin starts to look pointer rather than fan shaped. If you can spot them at this stage so much the better. Leaving them till they show colour might be too late if the gonopodium is fully developed before the colour shows.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Large pregnant female guppy"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 05:02:49 PM
by DutchyHolland
11 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 08:39:20 AM
by susie58
5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 11:04:41 AM
by Loubaa
0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 04:26:18 PM
by Fiona
10 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 07:37:07 AM
by Mascol
6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2020, 05:03:44 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: