Internal Filter Too Strong

Author Topic: Internal filter too strong  (Read 8391 times) 9 replies

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Internal filter too strong
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all :) Yesterday I decided to upgrade my filter for my bigger tank so I bought an internal filter which attaches to the glass on the inside of the tank. It said on the box that it's designed to be used in tanks which are up to 150L in volume and my tank is 140L. I've placed it on the other side of the tank to the one I have at the moment, which is designed for tanks up to 60L, with the aim to run them both for a couple of weeks until this new one establishes it's own colony of bacteria. When I turned it on however, it almost pushed my poor fish into the glass on the other side of the tank because it was so powerful. I turned it off for the night but turned it on again this morning and left it running for a few hours (turning my other filter off) to see if my fish would adjust. My cories absolutely love it and are still playing in the current but all my other fish are hiding at the bottom of the tank, obviously uncomfortable. Is there a way I can reduce the flow? Or will my fish get used to it if I give them time?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Internal filter too strong
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
What make of filter is it?

Some filters (eg Fluval) do have different output options and the nozzle's direction can be adjusted but I'm sure you'll have done that if it was an option.  I moved the filter's location recently to try to maximise the output and it did result in a change in the fish's behaviour for a few days (spending more time at the bottom) before they found and opted to swim in other parts of the tank with less buffeting than in the direct line of the water output.  If altering the output option and nozzle direction is not an option, then it might be that you can locate it in a section of the tank where it's not directly in the middle, therefore having a section of the tank with less buffeting for the fish, at least until they get used to it.

Hope this helps at least a little, and that someone with more experience of your particular brand/model of filter might be able to offer suggestions on how to 'tone it down' a bit.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:29:14 PM »
It's a tankmaid filter. I've never used the brand before and I thing they only sell it in New Zealand and Australia. I've got it attached to the side wall in the cprner, facing along the tank. Would I be better to move it maybe so it faces forward? I positioned it like I did because I was trying to get circulation through the whole tank.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
Is it possible to get a spray bar for this filter? If so, that reduces the current in the tank considerably as the output doesn't all come through a single hole.

I was recommended to tie a small  piece of sponge over the outlet, and that does work.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:46 AM »
Ooh both such good ideas! I might actually give the sponge a go because it'll look a bit better. Thank you; you're very smart

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »
Actually, not my idea, others here suggested it when I had the same problem so I can't take the credit  :)

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:50:38 AM »
Lol i just got a spray bar and it's working so well :) still on the strong side but the fish are a lot happier

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »
with spray bars if there still to strong you always have the option to drill the holes a little bigger - bigger holes allow the water to release under less pressure there for slowing the current down , i have done this on both my ehiem spray bars, start with opening one hole up very slightly about half a mm a repeat across the holes till you get the flow you want or even do every other hole to start with .just remember you can always take more off but cant add back on so this is deafantly a patience thing

Offline Antstorm

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
I have a tank maid pro 1500 , you can't buy a spray bar for it the outlet is in the middle of the unit and this internal needs to be fully submersed and the ones ive wasted money on from Ebay don't fit
but i have found a solution , get the filter and activated carbon replacement kit , they cost about 6 dollars AU
the top canister ( there are three compartments) is empty , use one filter in that empty top bit add a second black sponge filter to the middle and to the bottom add the filter media bag , its slows the current down enough that your poor fishes no longer feel that they are in a whirlpool.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »
That's a good idea..... and welcome to the forum.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Internal filter too strong"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 09:38:47 PM
by Mark64
3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 02:29:44 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 07:20:02 PM
by Wild Rover
0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 08:02:10 PM
by Extreme_One
10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 09:17:22 AM
by Littlefish
41 Replies
Last post December 21, 2019, 09:15:21 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: