Ideas For 'specimen' Fish

Author Topic: Ideas for 'specimen' fish  (Read 29367 times) 17 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Ideas for 'specimen' fish
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My fish stock has evolved quite a bit since my original idea of an asian biotope, that I set my tank up with over 18 months ago. In my 240l planted tank, I now have 21 cardinal tetras, 7 bronze corys, 5 kuhli loaches, 3 harlequin rasboras, a female cherry barb and a glowlight tetra.

I am thinking about getting a few more kuhli loaches, increasing the number of harlies, and depending on stocking levels, might further increase the number of cardinal tetras.

But I am looking for a slightly bigger fish, that I can have perhaps a pair of. I have thought about discus, but think they may be a bit too difficult to look after. I've also thought about angelfish, but have concerns about them eating my tetras, generally being aggressive (after reading about Don's angels) and whether my tank is big / deep enough.

I am looking forward to the community creator coming back, and are not in a rush to choose my fish. So I wondered if anyone has any ideas and / or advice on particular fish species.

Thank you.  :)

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
Re: Ideas for 'specimen' fish
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
Hi helen

what is the height of your tank? Idealy it needs to be 2foot deep for angels and discus, my adult angels are currently around 15cm from top to bottom and are about a year old. They should be fine with cardinals as they generaly get to big for angels to eat, not sure about the harlies. The discus seem to be a lot less aggresive to other tank mates than the angels and im keeping mine with little licorice gouramis.

however if you get juvenile angels and add them last then they can be okay as they grow up with the smaller fish but its not 100% guarenteed. Also if you want a pair of angels then its best to get a group of 6 and let them pair, angels in numbers smaller than this as they grow will pic at each other and in a group of six there is enough to even out the aggresion. Also if you do this be prepared to quickly remove the rest when you get a pair, as the pair will attack the others. This applies to the discus too but im not sure how they will be if a pair forms havnt got that far yet. Im not finding it to difficult with he discus but they dont seem to like nitrates above 20 and so water changes are a must although i havehad to increse from the 20% to 40% a week on there tank. This is more to do with the sheer amount they eat and how messy they are i still havnt seen the need to go to the extremes a lot of keeper do.

Also a breeding pair of angels will be aggresive when spawning but its not to bad cause they only tend to defend there spawning site, no worse than any other breeding pair.

Have you looked at apistogrammas there are some very nice species and some of the males can get to a nice size. I have apistogramma noberti breeding at the moment and i no sue has some nice species too. You can buy them in pairs or trios and there not massivly aggresive when spawning. Set them up with a cave at one end of your tank and they should be fine. There good to watch.

Another possibilty could be a male and two female pearl gouramis. Until the comunity creater is back up you could try aqadviser its a similar calculator.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »
My apistos are cacatuoides (cockatoo). You could have 1m 3f in a tank that size  :) They'd just need 4 caves (one per female and one extra) spread out so that each female could have her own territory. Some apistos species work better as pairs so if you did get some, google them before buying to see if the species you want is a pair or a harem breeder (cockatoos are harem)
Bolivian rams - they are a lot prettier once they are settled in than they are in the shop tank. I would avoid rams, the non-bolivian ones, as they need a temp too high for the majority of your fish (only the cardinals would be happy). Don't discus need higher temps too?
There are a few dwarf cichlids in the fish profiles here, most of them are types of apisto, but besides bolivian rams, there are Laetacaras (there are a few species including the flag cichlid), checkerboard cichlids and of course kribs - though if you had a pair they would breed prolifically and get nasty in defence of their eggs/fry.

In addition to Don's pearl gouramis, there are also thick lipped gouramis, they had gold ones in my local Maidenhead Aq a couple of weeks ago, in the tank with honey gouramis. The difference was obvious, I made sure he caught me three honeys  ;D

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:45:46 AM »
Yep sorry discus need a temp 28 or above but it also means blue rams could do well if the water is soft enough. Discus dont neccesarily need soft water it depends on what water the breeder keeps them in.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »
Thank you for those suggestions, Sue and Don.

So, I have about 38cm water depth in my tank at the moment. I have quite a lot of substrate so have been thinking about reducing it, but don't think I'd get to much more than 40cm water depth. Which is quite a bit short of the 2ft that Don said the angels and discus would need.  I also currently have a small - medium rounded gravel, which doesn't sound like it would be so suitable for some of the aspistos or rams. But again, if I reduce the level of the substrate, replacing the top layer with something finer grained, is something I've considered.

My water temp is a pretty steady 25-26 degrees. I actually have a bit of a problem with really low nitrates. My tap water reads <5ppm and I have rarely had a reading above 5ppm, since cycling my tank. Though since reading Sue's post on the reliability of some of the tests, I have wondered. However, I add calcium nitrate when doing my water changes, and things have only got better in the tank since starting that.

Will read a bit more around the suggestions. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
Having gravel would be something to think about for apistos and rams. I had small smooth gravel in my tank when I first got a pair of bolivian rams, and the female got a piece stuck in her throat, something I'd not even thought about until it happened. Though I'd not had the problem with apistos. After the incident with the female ram, I changed to sand which I now have in all my tanks. The rams (until they died) and the apistos take mouthfuls of that and sift it for food, with the sand coming out of their gills. Since seeing that, I assume it's a natural instinct of these fish, and the female ram tried it unsuccessfully with gravel.

I'm not sure putting a finer substrate over the gravel would work - I think it would sink to the bottom - someone correct me if I have it the wrong way round  ??? But if your gravel is too big to fit in a fish's mouth it wouldn't be a problem. To give you an idea, look at the pic (click on it to make it bigger). The gravel on the left is what I had when I first got fish, the smaller gravel on the right is what the rams got stuck. If your gravel is bigger than that you should be OK.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
Hi Helen  :)

if I reduce the level of the substrate, replacing the top layer with something finer grained, is something I've considered.

The finer grain would work its way down through the bigger stuff and eventually all end up underneath. Sorry  :-\

EDIT: Sorry Sue, we posted at the same time! Yes you are the right way round  ;)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
Sue, I remembered something about one of your fish getting gravel stuck in her mouth, but not what fish it was. 

And I thought about whether sand or small gravel would sink to the bottom. I already have different sizes of gravel in my tank, Eco-complete substrate on the bottom at the edges with a medium sized pea gravel over the top and a small pea gravel in the centre front of the tank. This is quite "ish" as it all got mixed up a bit when I had to change the tank.

I was discussing the various changes that each of the different fish would require with my OH. He's suggested that with all the plants in my tank, changing the substrate, even just reducing the level would be quite challenging and require almost starting from scratch as it would disturb the plants so much. (I think he's also keen on angels). I was wondering how often people with planted tanks replace their substrate, and whether this is the mammoth task it seems to be. I found an article on James' planted tank on a substrate change he did. Sounded very organised, but a big task.

I got some more harlies yesterday and was discussing angels with the lad in the shop. He suggested that they don't need a particularly deep tank, as long as they have space to swim around, and my 240l tank should provide that. Any thoughts?

He also suggested an alternative to Don's suggestion of getting half a dozen juveniles, letting a pair form and selling on the rest. Which is to get and keep 3 fish. How much of a good idea would this be?

I have to admit to some concern about Don's suggestion. As I am currently 6 months pregnant, I don't want to have worry about having to quickly re-home 'teenage' angel fish when I also have a baby to look after! And I don't think it is realistic to be looking at additional tanks at the moment! I've already been told off by my Mum once for buying more fish instead of baby things! (I've not told her about the new harlies!) :-[

One of the comments the lad in the fish shop made when I asked about discus, apart from them needing warmer water to thrive, was that they go well with cardinals. Which got me to wondering about the top of the temperature ranges for my existing fish. Another topic for research!  :) Sue briefly mentioned this below.

Oh, and the harlies are slightly bigger than the cardinal tetras when fully grown, so if the latter are safe from being eaten by angels then the harlies should be too.

So much research to do and I've still not looked at the alternative gourami suggestions yet.  :)

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
As I am currently 6 months pregnant

Woo Hoo!!!! Many congratulations  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

I've already been told off by my Mum once for buying more fish instead of baby things! (I've not told her about the new harlies!) :-[

Hahahahahahahaha  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »
Do you mean three angelfish? That's not usually recommended. Angelfish are incredibly hard to sex unless they are in the middle of spawning, and if you ended up with a 2:1 mix and two paired up, the third would be badly bullied so you'd have to rehome it quickly. That's the theory behing getting a mated pair or a minimum of six.
Not only are harlies a bit bigger, they are deeper bodied than cardinals, therefore harder to eat. It's pencil shaped fish like neons that fit in angels' mouths best. Those tetras etc that are tall and flat (ie sort of angel shaped) are usually fine with angels

If you didn't mind rehoming some of your fish, including the new harlies, there are a few fish that can be kept with discus. Cardinals can cope with the higher temps, as can rams, the non-bolivian ones (blue, gold, german blue, balloon etc), sterbai cories (only sterbais, the others all need lower temps). You'd need to research carefully for fish that are happy at 28 to 30 deg C.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
Sue has pretty much said it all. angels fish can only be sexed when getting ready to breed by there breeding tubes. I have had 3 angels it didnt end well for the third  :( when the pair formed (i was at work) so if you get three you have to be watching and ready to rehome 1 or even 2. If a pair forms the third would need to be taken out, if you have 3 of the same sex then 2 will need to go because the dominant will harase the others, if you just take one out then the one left will be tormented.

I have also tried 4 but this also dosnt work 6 is a good number becasue aggresion is spread out across all. and they should be fine, however if a pair form they will try and rid the tank of the others 4. the tank needs to be big a enough space for them to defend a teritory and the rest to get away, i would say a at least 4 feet long and well planted.
Any thing with a deep body should be fine, a long time ago i was advised 4 angels would be okay and was  also advised by the store later after the angels had grown that adding rummy noses would be fine so i bought 8 it took my 4 angels 20 minutes to kill the lot. the same shop also got all 4 back after it turned into a angel fish dominance free for all.  :-\

sorry helen not trying to put you off just giving you the experiences i have had

With regards to the tank being tall enough if the angels can swim around, my male is a year old and is 15-17cm from top to bottom with full fin extensions and i got an idea hes gona get a bit bigger in the body yet he may even reach 20cm. You might be all right with 40cm but some of the red cap angels i have seen and the one my sister bought when i was 14 and put in my tank got massive. the lad might be right but how would he like living in a house with all the ceilings 6 inches above his head. my personal preference is for an angel tank where they can happily trancend the levels of the tank, because they like to swim everywhere without looking cramed in.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
Thank  you again.

Don't worry about putting me off, finding out about other people's experiences with certain species of fish is all part of my research. Although I like angels to look at, I also like the composition of my tank and don't want to put the wrong fish in it and destroy everything.

I was a bit suspicious of the '3 angelfish' theory, which is why I asked the question. Nice to know that I am learning something, and my suspicions weren't mis-placed.  :)

I don't fancy re-homing the majority of my fish, so I think discus are definitely out for this tank. Perhaps in the future when I get my second tank...  ;)

My tank is a 4ft and pretty well planted. I keep meaning to take a picture to upload.

That was another question that I meant to ask, about the size. I've read lots that angel fish typically grow to 15cm. What is this a measurement of? I think it is body length, but does it include the tail or the caudal pedunkle (I love that word, so just had to find a way to use it!)  ;D

Btw, I had a look at the aqadvisor site. When I put my current fish stock in, it said I was 81% stocked, but that I was 85% filtration and that I needed to add more filtration. Does anyone understand this filtration figure?

Thanks Chucklett.  :D Fish keeping and morning sickness combined with not being able to lift heavy things are not terribly compatible. Hence why my tank is currently be re-stocked after a few months of neglect.  :) All seems well now, as my husband and I have got into a collaborative water change routine - assisted by the turn based computer game he can stop playing at any point! :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
Just to warn you that aqadvisor is not very well thought of. Another forum I'm a member of has banned mention of its name. It comes up as **!!??*//** whenever anyone tries to say it - it must be in their swear filter  :) . But until the CC on here is up and running, it's all there is.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
Thanks sue didnt realise this. I was using it until the cc was back. Apparently it takes the output lph of your filter and calculates 60% of it as they are always over estimated and calculates filter % based on fish you have added and tank size.

I always asumed it was a measurment from the mouth to the caudaul penduncle. Because i have seen and owned some very tall angels. with a body of about 15cm m to cp.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »
I have to admit that I didn't find aqadvisor particularly easy to use. It made me miss the community creator! But at least it is something. It also reminded me that the single glowlight tetra I adopted would probably be angel food.  :-\

I have posted a photo of my tank in the gallery forum. I'd be interested whether it is what Don calls well planted.  ;D

How long do angels live and take to grow? If I did decide I could fit jeuveniles in, how long would I have to get a second, deeper tank? ;)

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »
That a lovely looking tank helen. id call that heavily planted :D

the density of the plants looks to give lots of hiding places i think a group of six angels would look lovely in there. The hight may be fine i think with that tank id take a chance and see how it progresses.

Angel fish can live for 10-15 years, they gain sexual maturity at about 6 months. They are very fast growing to start with and will go from small 2-5cm in the body to 8-10cm in the first 6 months. they then slow down and get gradually bigger up to 15cm in the body. so plenty of time to decide if you needed a second deeper tank  :D

Have put a couple more pics of my male in the gallery

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
You are cruel Don.  :o On the one hand I'm reading all about the trouble you're having with your male angel and on the other you're posting these fantastic photos of them. I am utterley torn.

At least I don't have to make a decision yet, as my tank is still settling after its latest additions.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Im sorry  ::). I have a love hate relationship with them. There stunning fish and have great personality, but they are typical cichlids. I still stand by there definetly not a comunity fish as they are often advertised. If you except what they are and what they need they they are very rewarding. there just a pain in the bum. ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ideas for 'specimen' fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
by biffster
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
32 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 10:30:14 PM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 09:18:02 AM
by Bubblychaz
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf
98 Replies
Last post February 13, 2020, 09:16:38 PM
by barneyadi
11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2020, 09:33:47 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: