Hydras Discovered In Tank Cycling For Shrimp. What To Do? SOLVED

Author Topic: Hydras discovered in tank cycling for shrimp. What To do? SOLVED  (Read 5029 times) 12 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just checked the tank I'm cycling for the shrimp and spotted hydras growing on the glass plus some tiny worm like things. Obviously the hydra pose a threat to the shrimplets.

Is there any way I can get rid of them without resorting to chemicals?

Offline Richard W

Re: Hydras discovered in tank cycling for shrimp. What do do?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:05:40 PM »
I can't think of any chemical free method. Salt at 0.5% might be the best option, rather than using more toxic chemicals, it's an old established control method.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
All the methods I know are chemicals, which would take a while to clear from the tank before you could risk shrimps. But if salt would do the trick, that would be quite easy to remove by water changes.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:06:30 PM »
I used a wormer, and although it killed the hydra in my cycling shrimpery, I am still waiting to try and re-introduce nerites (for the fourth time). Have you any idea where you got them from. Mine came from water/plants/bogwood that I transferred from my 125L - I didn't know that they were there at the time. They seem to have since disappeared from the 125L.

If your tank has no livestock in it, would they disappear naturally without food? I had small white worms too (detritus worms, I think). Could the hydra eat those? If not, perhaps they will starve.

Skittler

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hydra will eat anything that moves and comes into the range of their tentacles. I do wonder where they come from. I recently took some thread algae out of a tank and put it under the microscope just out of interest. I was surprised to find large numbers of tiny vegetarian water mites, quite harmless to the fish but would make plenty of food for hydra. There are probably more things hiding away in our tanks than we think Realistically, I think they must all originate with plants. Many water invertebrates have resistant stages as their habitat is always likely to dry up and they need to survive for when the next flood arrives.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
There is a method of removing Hydra and planaria that involves connecting copper wires to a 9V battery and dipping the wires into the tank for a few hours.

Thing is though, it'll add copper oxide to the tank so probably not what you're after.  :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »
Thanks folks.

There's currently only plants in there and the shrimp cant go back in until the filter has cycled.

So it raises the questions which would be most toxic to the plants and easier to remove after ?Salt or copper?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Hydras discovered in tank cycling for shrimp. What To do?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
Will salt kill the Hydra?

I'm pretty sure Hydra can infect saltwater aquariums too. I suppose that would be a different species though.  :-\

Does Copper kill shrimp?
Copper is definitely plant-safe as it's used in aquatic plant farms to kill off snails.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »
Salt is recommended by quite a few sources. One I use is the "Fishlopedia". Although it's quite an old book (1999) I find its info very useful, frankly better than most internet sources. This may be because the main author is Dr Peter Burgess who is actually a fish health scientist and should know what he is talking about. This book is one of those that recommends 0.5% salt.
True there are many hydra relatives in the sea, in fact the vast majority of coelenterates are marine. But freshwater hydra would not survive in the sea any more than freshwater fish would. Salt works by osmotic action, essentially dehydrating the organism which is how it has been used to treat parasites for many years.
Copper will kill most aquatic invertebrates but is notoriously difficult to remove completely and so if possible I'd avoid it in a  tank intended for shrimps. In a fish tank, unless breeding was planned, I wouldn't worry about hydra.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Salt would be the way forward then I guess. Now for the stupid questions.

How do I turn 50l of tank water into a 0.5% salt solution? (I do have some aquarium salt somewhere).

How long do I need to leave it in the tank?

How do I get it all out once it's in the tank?

How do I check it's all gone? (please dont ask me to taste it  :o)

Will it affect the cycle I'm currently running?

Will it poison the plants?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »
50 litres of water weigh 50kg. 0.5% of 50kg = 0.25kg, ie 250g

Dissolve 250g salt in a bit of tank water removed from the tank, then pour it back into the tank.

Leave it in till all the hydra is dead then a couple of days longer unless Richard's book says different.

You get it out of the tank by water changes. A 50% change will get rid of half of the salt. Another 50% change will get rid of half of what's left ie a quarter of what you added, so you'll have removed 75%. A third 50% change will get rid of half the remaining quarter ie an eighth of the original so you'll now have removed 7/8, and so on.
Bigger water changes will get rid of the salt faster.

You can't test to see if it's all gone, you have to go by the number of water changes.

You don't have to use aquarium salts, ordinary table/cooking salt will be fine.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 06:19:31 PM »
It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to work (if it's going to). I don't know about the plants, some are more resistant to salt than others. After a few water changes the salt will be very dilute and not harm anything, copper would be more dangerous as it can be toxic in even tiny concentrations.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »
I did scrape the hydras off the viewing pane and cant see any atm. I'm going to visit my sister for a few days tomorrow and don't fancy relying on the son to keep an eye on things until I get back, so I'll have to do it when I get back.

Thanks all for the advice I  will update you asap.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hydras discovered in tank cycling for shrimp. What To do? SOLVED"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
by Jwc
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
13 Replies
Last post February 14, 2016, 07:55:06 PM
by Extreme_One
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 11:01:24 AM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 12:58:13 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: