How To Set Up A Small Shrimpery

Author Topic: How to set up a small shrimpery  (Read 3172 times) 9 replies

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
How to set up a small shrimpery
« on: October 03, 2016, 04:03:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've been thinking about getting a shrimpery for Christmas. I would like the opinion of all you shrimp keepers/herders @Sue  @Fiona to advise me. Pygmy cories and shrimp. What tank size for a small group.

I hate phone auto correct
 :o
Thanks

Apache6467

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: How to set up a small shrimpery
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
If you want to keep pygmy cories with the shrimps, you'll need a tank with a footprint a minimum of 45 x 30 cm. Footprint is more important than volume for fish that live on the bottom of the tank, though pygmy cories are a cory that do like to swim mid water as well. So we're talking about 40 litres minimum.

The easiest shrimps are cherry shrimps. Although there are other colours besides red, they are even more inbred than the red ones and therefore a bit more delicate. Stick to the red ones for your first shrimps.

Cories like sand, and shrimps are fine on sand as well.
The filter should be one that isn't so strong it'll suck up baby shrimps. A sponge filter driven by an air pump is good for shrimps, or an internal that has just sponge inside. If you worry about baby shrimps getting sucked up you could try what I did - ask your mother if she has any spare knee high socks (the ones that look like the bottom cut off a pair of tights) and slide that over the intake slits of the filter.
Plants. Shrimps like plants, preferably real ones. Before I had to shut the tank down, mine liked the tangle of hornwort in the shrimp tank. But any plant will do the job.

Shrimps MUST have a cycled tank. They are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish.
Besides cycling the tank, I would also buy some plants and decor before the tank is ready and put them in your other tank to grow biofilm before transferring them to the shrimp tank.

Shrimps are very sensitive to chemicals. Most medications will harm shrimps. And be careful with plants - avoid any that could have been treated with something to kill snails as they'll also kill shrimps. It costs more but I've always bought plants from shrimp sellers on Ebay as they are shrimp safe. If I ever buy plants that are not guaranteed shrimp safe I put them in my quarantine tank with a filter full of carbon for a week to remove any possibility of contamination.
The hornwort that is on its way is shrimp safe - it came from my shrimp tank. Provided you don't put it in a tank then add medication to that tank, it will be OK for a future shrimpery.

And if the tank is good for shrimps, it'll also be good for pygmy cories.

You can buy special shrimp food (eg Hikari Shrimp Cuisine) but be careful - a lot of food labelled shrimp food is actually fish food made from shrimps. Cories need small sinking pellets with a high meat content (not algae pellets) and shrimps will eat that too. You can use algae wafers for shrimps as well, though the cories will probably eat them too.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Great post, Sue.... and I love the idea of being a 'shrimp herder'. ;D

Reminds me of this....

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the great advice Sue and I will be sure to print it off for further reference.
 :cheers:

Colin, you always make me laugh :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 08:47:09 PM »
@apache6467 your timing is impeccable. I was only thinking last night that I might consider upgrading my betta/panda cory tank to a 50L, and using the current tank for shrimp. I'm fond of my amano shrimp, love the look of the more colourful ones, and would quite like to do a well planted tank.
I will ponder on Sue's advice, and wait until I've moved my other tanks around before making a final decision on a shrimp tank, although I feel it's only a matter if time.  ;)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »
Great post, Sue.... and I love the idea of being a 'shrimp herder'.
Reminds me of this....

@ColinB
I'm off topic here, but when we lived in the Netherlands the traveling circus had a performing cat act - we just fell about when it was announced .... but there they were 10 cats jumping through hoops the whole deal.
Just like lions and tigers but nobody lost an arm.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
To add to my previous post there is a variety of things you can buy for shrimp tanks - the sites that sell shrimps sell these things too.
Bacter AE - a biofilm builder
Beta glucans - an immunity booster
and many more.

This is a good article about cherry shrimp and the site has a lot of informative articles on shrimps in general. It is a good place to start shrimp research  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the information @Sue
I found that website when the LFS had a blue crayfish and I was looking for information on it. I was amazed by the shrimp list, some lovely looking specimens. It was after looking at the list that I got some amano for my temperate tanks.  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
Would a 12.5 litre cylinder (fat not tall) be big enough for an unheated shrimp tank??

I'm thinking I might give this a go,  heavily planted with no filter and just a few shrimp, I'd then add any breeding successes to my main tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
If it was heavily planted you should get away with it, but make sure the water temp doesn't fall below the range for the shrimp species you choose. In heavily planted tanks the pants do the job of a filter and shrimps have a light bio-load. Make sure the plants are growing well before adding any shrimps, and afterwards monitor for ammonia until you are sure the plants are removing it all.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How to set up a small shrimpery"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 07:14:36 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 11:59:11 AM
by Skittler
18 Replies
Last post March 16, 2016, 10:17:54 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2016, 10:22:44 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 08:48:15 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2019, 09:00:00 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: