HELP Goldfish In A Tropical Tank?

Author Topic: HELP Goldfish in a tropical tank?  (Read 3552 times) 7 replies

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
HELP Goldfish in a tropical tank?
« on: May 02, 2015, 06:29:23 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am collecting my new 4 foot tank today which i am going to clean and set-up as a reef tank. It is currently being used as a tropical tank by someone I know who doesn't really know what she's doing. I have set up a temporary smaller tank to put the tropicals in until the tank my marine fish are in becomes free.  She said she currently has '17 big fish and some littluns' I just looked at a photo,she posted on Facebook and can see an angel fish and at least 2 what look like goldfish. She won't know what they are - they are just 'fish' to her. If they are goldfish surely they shouldn't be in there should they? And what on earth do I do with them? Can i just put them in a small tank of cold water like we used to when i was a kid when we won one at a fair?

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: HELP Goldfish in a tropical tank?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
I am collecting my new 4 foot tank today which i am going to clean and set-up as a reef tank. It is currently being used as a tropical tank by someone I know who doesn't really know what she's doing. I have set up a temporary smaller tank to put the tropicals in until the tank my marine fish are in becomes free.  She said she currently has '17 big fish and some littluns' I just looked at a photo,she posted on Facebook and can see an angel fish and at least 2 what look like goldfish. She won't know what they are - they are just 'fish' to her. If they are goldfish surely they shouldn't be in there should they? And what on earth do I do with them? Can i just put them in a small tank of cold water like we used to when i was a kid when we won one at a fair?

Hello Lellynelly.
I am a complete amateur at this fishkeeping lark but one thing I have picked up is that goldfish need a huge tank

I can't remember the exact sizing but it's something extreme like 140 litres for the FIRST fish and another 40 litres for each subsequent goldfish.
I expect those sizes are not accurate since they are from memory but I know the sizes required are HUGE and goldfish don't go with tropical fish.

Maybe you could rehome the goldfish. Either advertise on freecycle (ask if somebody has a pond perhaps because these fish will grow very large) or in your local free ads.

Do you know the ages of the fish. They can get very old.  If they are attractive fish perhaps your local fish shop could rehome them for you

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:00:06 AM »
Hello,

I wonder if the goldfish in the photo might be Red Parrot Cichlids? The first time that I saw them in an LFS, I was convinced that they were goldfish!

Skittler

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:59:27 AM »
Sanjo's memory is spot-on correct re the current thinking around goldfish tank requirements in litres - a 4-ft tank might give that, though. However, goldfish are best kept only with goldfish.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »
If they are goldfish, the best answer is to find someone with a suitable garden pond. Goldfish are much better suited to a pond than an aquarium. Do not, however, be tempted to release them into "the wild", it is illegal and can cause havoc to natural water ecosystems.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
However, there are goldfish and goldfish. Common goldfish (the fairground type), shubunkins and comets can go in a pond but the fancy varieties need warmer than an outdoor pond in a British winter. The way to tell the difference is by the tail. The ones that are OK in a pond have a typical fish tail; fancies have a double tail - these need an indoor, unheated tank.

Back in the mid 1990s my sons turned up from the fair with goldfish. 9 months later when they had outgrown the 60 litre tank I had bought, I put an ad in the local supermarket (no internet back then) as suitable for a pond. Someone contacted me very quickly and took them - one common and two comets.

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »
I took them to the LFS.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »
Glad they took them for you. One worry less anyway.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "HELP Goldfish in a tropical tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
by Etienne
4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 07:42:16 PM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post July 10, 2015, 03:33:58 PM
by Richard W
13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 12:18:41 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:10:14 AM
by Andy The Minion
3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 09:48:59 PM
by Andy The Minion
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 01:08:04 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: