How To Keep Fishtanks Cool In A Heatwave

Author Topic: How to keep fishtanks cool in a heatwave  (Read 927 times) 6 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
How to keep fishtanks cool in a heatwave
« on: July 16, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

Offline Sue

Re: How to keep fishtanks cool in a heatwave
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 07:28:12 AM »
Has everyone - and their tanks - been OK over the last few days?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 08:56:43 AM »
Temperature here hasn't been that much different from "a good summer's day", and, with precautions taken (ie blinds down in the fishtank room), tank temperature hasn't actually increased. 

I had a missing fish yesterday evening, who had mysteriously worked her way behind the filter despite all the filter wool and sponge blocking off any access points - but I think that's more due to being chased by an exceptionally persistent juvenile male espei relentlessly pursuing all the females in recent months than anything to do with the heat.  Fish has lost the bottom half of her caudal fin, likely in an effort to release herself from behind the filter, and is still too traumatised this morning to eat breakfast. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 11:13:55 AM »
We were in the amber zone. We kept all curtains and windows closed during the day then opened them all at the sun began to set. Yesterday afternoon I took a thermometer out of the kitchen drawer and it read 27.5 degrees. Outside in the shade it was 38 degrees.
My main tank is set to 23 degrees and it stayed at that temperature even yesterday.

I don't know how people - and fish tanks - coped in the red zone  :(

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 08:45:26 AM »
Changing the topic very slightly here but it’s been nice not to see the smart meter reporting what I know full well is lots of fish tank heaters power up simultaneously. I’ve actually just taken a (marine) fish tank down - one of the reasons being the cost of power nowadays. Three tanks and a pond just seemed excessive. I still find myself thinking about moving to cold water/more temperate species too but I can’t escape the lure of tropical fish just yet…

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 01:37:41 PM »
Sorry to read about the marine tank.  Hoping we get an update on your current tanks in another thread (when you get the chance)/ @Matt .
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 02:40:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
This is a very late response, but having lived in the desert southwest of the USA where it can easily top 38c for days on end, I've some experience with keeping an aquarium cool. As others have done, keeping the blinds closed is a good start. If you have the option, and if it's getting particularly warm in the room, if you can just barely open a window on the side of the house that is in the shade, (or two windows if you can - just an inch or two) you can get at least a little ventilation. A fan blowing across a pan of cool water can lower the "feels like" temp, if you have low humidity, too.

If you are in a humid climate it is harder to keep the temp down, but in a low humidity area changing the top of the aquarium to something like window screening fabric (if a top must be put on it) allows evaporation, which produces some cooling.  The last place I lived in the USA was without air conditioning and we had several weeks of spectacularly hot weather. The tank was small, so what I would do was put one of those blocks that you can put in the freezer repeatedly and then use to keep things cool in a picnic hamper (not sure what they are called) on top of the mesh  over the tank, and covered it all with a towel. The cool air coming off the block did help a bit for several hours. (Note that I did not put this directly into the water.)

Hope this helps someone.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How to keep fishtanks cool in a heatwave"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 07:45:32 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2015, 07:11:48 AM
by AndreaC
13 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 10:37:21 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post July 21, 2017, 12:45:51 PM
by kdt1
45 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 09:12:52 PM
by Matt
20 Replies
Last post July 31, 2019, 01:52:01 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 04:45:12 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: