Author Topic: Nitrite Issue  (Read 956 times) 4 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Nitrite Issue
« on: June 07, 2022, 10:33:43 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi it’s been a while I know but I’ve had health problem which I won’t go into now. I need some advice on my to be shrimp tank.

I was in mid cycle when I decided to add some plants from my bigger tank. I then had a big shock and happen to see a baby Cory flitting around in the substrate, The problem is tho my Nitrite level is between 0.25ppm and 0.50 ppm but the ammonia is 0.0ppm. I can’t move him or her it may not survive and I have nowhere to move it too. It’s lively still and must be eating.

I wondered if I can keep detoxing with prime and hope the tank cycles soon.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Nitrite Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 12:40:01 PM »
Prime should only be used to treat new water rather than as a 'medication'.

A few questions just to get things clear in my mind -
Were you doing a fishless cycling, or intending to use the plants to do a plant cycle?
If it was a fishless cycle, how far had you got?
How many plants did you move, and what type of plants - slow growers like java fern or anubias, or fast growers like stem plants and floaters?

Plants use ammonia as fertiliser, and they don't turn it into nitrite or nitrate. They can use nitrate and nitrite in the water but they prefer ammonia as they have to convert nitrite & nitrate back into ammonia to use it and that takes energy. What I would do is a big water change to get rid of the nitrite, or several small ones if you don't want to upset the fry, and use Prime to dechlorinate the new water. Then treat it like a fish-in cycle and test every day, doing a water change if ammonia or nitrite rise above zero. With one baby fish, there should be very little ammonia being produced and the plants should be more than capable of removing it.

Shrimps do not create much ammonia either. I have a shrimp tank, a 23 litre cube. I have a piece of wood with anubias bonsai, another piece of wood with java fern and some Schismatoglottis preitoi (looks a bit like anubias which can be planted) These are all slow growing plants. But I also have red root floater on the surface and floating plants are particularly good at taking up ammonia.
About a month ago I changed the filter. Literally just took the old one out and put a new one in. I did not use any mature media from the old filter. The shrimps did not seem to notice, and they would have done if there had been a trace of ammonia or nitrite. The testers didn't register any either. I know there are bacteria in the substrate as there are in any mature tank, but the plants, especially the floating ones, would have removed a lot of ammonia, if not all of it.

I would treat your tank as now doing a plant cycle. Water change(s) to remove the nitrite in there now, and plants to do the rest. If you haven't already got some, I do recommend floating plants for shrimps and they are very good at ammonia removal.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 01:17:19 PM »
It was fishless to start with until some plants came away it my big tank so I planted them in the smaller one which must have had a Cory egg attached. I have replanted stem plants so they are fast growing. The fishless cycle I added pure ammonia which has now gone but left Nitrite. I’ve been doing water changes daily. I read somewhere about a certain bacteria needs to catch up with the ammonia eating bacteria. I think I’m towards the end of the cycle but not 100% sure. I would not be worried if it was not for the fry.

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 02:06:57 PM »
With a fishless cycle, it does take longer to grow nitrite eaters than ammonia eaters. The nitrite eaters can't even start to grow until the ammonia eaters have started making nitrite so they are always one step behind. And nitrite eaters multiply slower than ammonia eaters which means it takes longer to grow enough.

Since plants remove ammonia and don't make nitrite, you can cycle a tank using plants rather than bacteria. With just 1 fry, there will be so little ammonia made than the plants will take up all of it before the ammonia eaters you've grown have chance to grab it. And there'll be no extra nitrite made, just what's left from the fishless cycle. That's why I've suggested doing as many water changes as necessary to remove all that nitrite then leave the plants to do the job rather than trying to grow more bacteria.
And then the plants will establish themselves and start to grow so they'll be able to take up even more ammonia, so once there's lots of new growth you'll be able to get the shrimps.

A couple of years or so ago I saw some fish I'd been wanting so I came home and set up my quarantine tank. I took some media from my main tank and added ammonia to test that there was enough mature media. It turned out there were so few bacteria in the mature media that I ended up doing a full 6 week fishless cycle - by which time all the fish had been sold. So next time, I didn't use any mature media. I put a filter in the tank, filled with brand new filter wool, just to move the water round and catch any bits. When I bought the fish I also bought 2 bunches of elodea and left the stems floating. I also took some floating plants from the main tank. There were 12 kuhli loaches in that 25 litre tank and I never saw a trace of ammonia or nitrite.
One cory fry is a lot less bioload than 12 kuhli loaches.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 02:46:15 PM »
Thank you Sue I will just carry on with the water changes then.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Nitrite Issue"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 12:46:38 PM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 03:12:34 PM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2015, 03:06:55 PM
by sunshine
2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 09:17:46 AM
by Alex_N
4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM
by Extreme_One
9 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 04:11:20 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2016, 01:15:11 PM
by Gabriel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: