Fish Update And What Next

Author Topic: Fish update and what next  (Read 2755 times) 7 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Fish update and what next
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hiya, thought I'd give a bit of an update. You might remember I had a sick cory that recovered and seemed to be getting on well, but unfortunately either he didn't make it or another one gave up the ghost  :( no idea what happened to him, one minute there was 10 now there are only 9, but I've not seen any remains he just vanished! Well you know what I mean!  Kind of hoping it was quick as I didn't notice anything untoward, or at least that what I'm clinging to.

The good news is I finally got round to getting more female pearl gourami. When I just had the three of them the male bullied the smaller of the two girls and eventually the bigger female was bugging the wee one too. Now I've got 5 females to the one male and he doesn't quite know what too do with himself, but at least all the females are out and about now. Two of the females are a bit bigger than the others but doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Tank at 64% in the community creator, and wondering if I should get one more shoal, or something that would help with the Algae although its not really that bad it is starting to build up on the logs. I did think of shrimps but I'm assuming my water would be too soft for them? Then thought of Oto's but think these wee guys might be too small? and my water temp would be right at the top of what they can take so thinking that's not such a good idea either? Any ideas, or should I just go with another shoal, maybe black neon tetras?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish update and what next
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
The risk with shrimps is the gouramis. Pearls are big enough to make a nice expensive dinner of them.
Otos are an option, though they don't eat more than a couple of types of algae. That is actually the problem with algae - no one creature eats all types. With otos, you would need a shoal of 6, and don't buy them when they are newly arrived at the shop. They are often starved when they arrive and once otos get past a certain stage of starvation they can't start eating again. When they've been in the shop a couple of weeks, the ones that are past the point of no return will have died.

Of course, there are always snails to eat algae........

A shoal of fish is definitely OK, though avoid very small fish that could get eaten. Black neons are bigger than neons and should be fine. And otos are bigger than black neons  :)

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 07:54:14 PM »
ah good to know about the shrimps never thought of them getting eaten, that would be so awful! Might leave the Oto's out too and stick to another shoal.

On the snail topic, is there one type you'd recommend? I've got a few pest snails, but they don't seem to last very long so I thought their shells couldn't take the soft water?

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »
I know people keep a nano shrimp with pearl gouramis without issue so that might be a good option as well. Shrimp don't add much if any to the bioload as we calculate it so you could still get a shoal as well.

Remind me what fish you have and I'll see what springs to mind to complement them...

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 07:56:05 PM »
I have nerite snails, they eat algae. I have some several years old and I've never actually fed them. There are several species, some larger than others.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »
Are nano shrimps bigger? or is there still a bit of a risk with them and the gourami, two of the gourami are quite big?  I'll have another look at snails too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:13:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Amano shrimps are quite a bit bigger than shrimps like red cherries. The downside to them is that they can't breed in fresh water. They do produce fertile eggs but the larvae that hatch from them need salt water to develop.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
On the snail topic, is there one type you'd recommend? I've got a few pest snails, but they don't seem to last very long so I thought their shells couldn't take the soft water?
For precautionary purposes, I'm feeding my nerite snails Shrimp King's Snail Stixx, just to ensure that their shells are in optimum condition due to my very soft water.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish update and what next"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 09:43:00 PM
by Rich_D
2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:34:15 AM
by Mad_BMS
1 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post November 09, 2017, 09:17:10 PM
by Littlefish
22 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 09:18:54 AM
by Littlefish
18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: