Author Topic: Fish suggestions for nano tank  (Read 4129 times) 7 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Fish suggestions for nano tank
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
I've had a pretty eventful weekend. My sickly platy has finally passed away and whilst this was a relief on one level, it ended up posing another dilemma. I had four platies in my tank, with the larger tuxedo platy constantly bullying two of the smaller platy, one being the now deceased platy. He seemed to get on with the other, no idea why! However, once the sickly platy passed away, the dominant tuxedo took to relentlessly pursuing the other platy. So much so that I ended up calling my LFS to see if they would take the aggressor back. They agreed and I dropped him off earlier this evening. Whilst I would not normally resort to giving away any pet, I was concerned that once he had most likely bullied that platy to death he would turn on his 'pal'. Anyway, I digress!

My question is, my 55l now only has 2 platies (I'm pretty sure they're variatus as they are considerably smaller than the bully I just got shot of) and 4 x-ray tetra. I would really like a honey gourami, and given my oversized mature filter this would put my stocking level at 42%.

I would also really like a shoal of small fish like CPDs, Emerald Dwarf Rasbora or another shoaling fish that can handle my alkaline water. The CC states I could get a dozen of these without getting close to overstocking. I also really like Pseudomugil species too, but given their larger size I would have to have a smaller shoal. Would these fish work with my current inhabitants or are there any other species that I've overlooked that would work well?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish suggestions for nano tank
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 06:52:21 AM »
As your X Ray tetras handle your water OK, then most of the other common tetras should do so as well. The profiles here suggest that many can tolerate pH 8. I have pretty hard water, though pH only 7.4, but have had no problems with any of the tetras I have.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
Thanks Richard. I've read that Xray Tetras' natural environment swings from soft alkaline water to hard alkaline water during the rainy reason, so they are very adaptable. That was one of the main reasons for me picking them as one of my first fish. I worry that the 40cm cube is a little small for most tetra, as I've read most like longer tanks (60cm+). Ember tetras would be fine, but I'm thinking Rummynoses would be out of the question for example.

My pH has levelled out at 7.6, which I believe is due to the bogwood and liquid carbon I add to the tank. However, having read many posts from you I am now considering ditching the liquid carbon. Do you have any pics of your tanks? I'd really like to see how they're getting along after reading so much about them.

Have you kept any Pseudomugil species?

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:23:20 AM »
Also T. espei? Anyone kept these beauties? They look like a decent choice for a nano...

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
So I went for a stroll at my local MA this morning and lo and behold I didn't come back empty handed. I was casually checking out the CPDs and Threadfin Rainbowfish when a shop assistant asked if I was looking for anything in particular. I asked if they had any Pseudomugil species in store and by chance they had 4 Pseudomugil Iriani (aka red neon rainbow fish) left in a tank full of Barbs and Redtail Black Sharks. They were marked at £3.50 each but the chap said I could have them for a tenner. As I've seen these marked at £5 each in another MA I went for it. He then spotted another in the next tank and threw that in too.

I have to say that these are some of the most beautiful and interesting fish I've ever seen. They have beautiful blue eyes (like Norman's Lampeyes) but a much more colourful body, with an iridescent blue shimmer along the top. Their behaviour is quite remarkable, with the males fanning their fins in a courtship display for the females.

I need to track down a few more to get a decent shoal together, doubt I'll be able to get them for £2 each though! I am absolutely blown away by the beauty of these fish.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
Just looked on Seriously Fish, and they look gorgeous. I've never seen them at my MA, but they would go in my water according to SF. I'll have to keep my eyes out for them.

SF has them under Pseudomugil sp. red neon with P. iriani as one of its alternative names.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »
Great - sound lovely.  My local MA has had some lovely miniature fish in the last few times I've been in, ones which I've never heard of and which aren't on their website - so it's always worth calling in to see what they have.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »
Good spot Sue. Seems like there's been a lot confusion over their name.

The pictures on SF do them absolutely no justice. They've only been in the tank a few hours and the males are now quite spectacular, bright blue eyes, a lovely red hue to their body, yellow tipped fins and gorgeous blue lateral line along their bodies. I definitely need to track down some more though, the males are constantly sparring or harassing the ladies, I'm hoping a larger shoal will calm them down a bit!

On a sadder note, I thought I had two males and three males, but on closer inspection it appears one of the 'females' is actually a male that has been quite severely fin-nipped. He must have been the one in the next tank. Hopefully he'll heal without too much problem.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish suggestions for nano tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 04:16:25 PM
by dbaggie
8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 04:58:20 PM
by WinterDusk
9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post April 28, 2015, 10:04:32 PM
by Cod_only_knows
8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2016, 10:35:58 AM
by fcmf
36 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 05:23:02 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2019, 10:20:31 AM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: