Spray Bar, Long Or Short

Author Topic: Spray bar, long or short  (Read 5415 times) 7 replies

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Spray bar, long or short
« on: April 30, 2016, 01:02:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I've just fitted a spray bar to my tank and I fitted it along the back but wondered if that's ok. Should it be fitted on the long axis or the short.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Black Widow Tetra (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Diamond Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Spray bar, long or short
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »
I've got 2 tanks with spray bars, one is parallel with the back of the tank and the other sits parallel with the side but I've had it sitting diagonally too. I think it's up to you  :)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
My spray bar is on the back wall, horizontally mounted about 6 inches under the surface of the water. It's angled slightly upwards towards the surface so that it agitates the surface to aid with transfer of gases when the bubbles are off overnight.

Just telling you what I do, hope it's of some help  :cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »
It's angled slightly upwards towards the surface

Oooo I never thought of that option! Underwater facing upwards would solve the problem of the spray bar forcing plants  down! Ta  Paddy. :cheers:

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
It's angled slightly upwards towards the surface

Oooo I never thought of that option! Underwater facing upwards would solve the problem of the spray bar forcing plants  down! Ta  Paddy. :cheers:

Did you adjust your spray bar, Fiona? I'm curious to hear if it's made a good difference to your plants  :)

Manjr, are you happy with the replies so far?

One of the big advantages of a spray bar is it moves a wide column of water at once, as opposed to one fat torrent from one corner of the tank. The more surface area of water it moves, the better.

With my own spray bar set as I mentioned, the water is pushed upwards from the back wall up to the front half of the surface, then it flows down the front panel and down to the substrate. The collecter of the filter inlet is a caged downpipe in the bottom back left hand corner of the tank. I'm satisfied that it circulates the water fairly evenly and there is no stagnation.

I used to have a concern right at the start that the filter flow was too strong and my wee fishes might struggle to find resting spots but I needn't have worried. They can always find calm spots in the water to chill out in.

Let us know how you get on and if you can, get some pics up??  :cheers:

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
Yes I'm happy with the replies to my queries, I must be learning something on here because quite often the replies are what I'm hoping for. I mean that without this forum I would probably have done the same thing anyway. :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Black Widow Tetra (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Diamond Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 01:54:37 PM »
Sometimes it's just nice to get some reinforcement for your plans. And just every now and again you will inevitably pick up something you didn't know. A good reason why we are keen to see new members registering and getting them involved once they have done so!

8)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »

Did you adjust your spray bar, Fiona? I'm curious to hear if it's made a good difference to your plants  :)

Yes I did and yes it does :)  I adjusted the spray bar in my son's tank and all the plants can now hold their heads high.

You do love your pics Paddy. Unfortunately I can't download photos from my phone so every now and then I borrow my son's, so me posting piccies isn't always easy. :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Spray bar, long or short"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 05:20:12 AM
by Mervyn
51 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
by DutchyHolland
19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 04:21:48 PM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 06:05:16 PM
by Tommo
9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 08:24:40 PM
by Robert
9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2020, 03:36:36 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2022, 06:15:58 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: