Fish For High Ph

Author Topic: Fish for high ph  (Read 7423 times) 22 replies

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
Fish for high ph
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So having done a fishless cycle on my 60cm 60 lt tank I checked the ph and even after doing a 50% water change with half tap water at (7.6/7.4 depending on test) and water at a ph of 6 from the fish shop. My ph is back at 8.2. So I can fight this or go with it. 

I was looking a German rams, I wanted more slow moving fish rather than darting about fish but this ph is pretty high so any suggestions. Or would you just treat the water.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish for high ph
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
What is the pH of your tapwater, both freshly drawn and a some that has stood for 24 hours? You may well find they are different.

Next question, how hard is your water? It should be somewhere on your water supplier's website. Does your shower head/kettle get furred up - that indicates hard water.

If you have hard water you are likely to have high carbonate hardness (KH) as well which means it will be tricky for you to alter the pH. Carbonate buffers the water against changes in pH so adding chemicals to lower pH is not an option. The only way would be to mix your tapwater with RO water (reverse osmosis, water that has had all the minerals removed) or to use pure RO with soft water-level minerals added back in. The fish available to us can't survive in pure water so even soft water fish must have a small amount of minerals added back.

The bad news is that german rams prefer soft acid water. If your water turns out to be hard as well as alkaline, they won't do well. But there are fish that like hard alkaline water. The most obvious ones (Rift Lake cichlids) aren't suitable for a tank your size.

Hardness is more important than pH. If you get fish that suit your hardness, even if their preferred pH is slightly out, they'll do better than fish of the 'correct' pH but 'wrong' hardness.

Assuming you do have hard water:
Livebearers prefer hard alkaline water but they tend to be darting about fish. Guppies and endlers are the commonly available species suitable for your tank size, but only males or you'd soon
be over populated.
There are some fish not in the profiles on here, I'll give you the links to Seriously Fish.

Celebes rainbowfish, also here
Possibly threadfin rainbows and here
Fish of the genus Pseudomugil - the ones I've seen in the shops are P. gertrudae and P. furcatus.
Emerald rasboras and various other common names.
Just a few suggestions.

And of course if it turns out you have middling or even soft water, they won't do and we'll have to think of something else.

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
Ok united utilities says mod.hard Level 9.800 Clarke

I don't know what that means.

I will test a sample overnight to see what happens as that is quite interesting.

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
Would any of the dwarf cichlids work, liked the last two on your list as well. :)

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
Aha Sue just found a converter so that comes out as 55.96ppm slightly hard. Do you think I should forget slow moving then?

Thanks for all your  help. I had a plan and it's just gone to pot now lol. Still better to work with the conditions that you have I think than fight against them. :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
That hardness is not terribly hard. It was your pH that has me worried  ;D In some regions of the UK (the south east for example) they have high pH and water that I've seen described as liquid rock it is so hard, and I couldn't be sure yours isn't the same.
In that case, you can look at a wider range of fish. Those on my list still apply, but you can include other species as well such as those that like middling hard water and highish pH. I'm afraid that still rules out most fish that come from south America as the rivers there are very soft with low pH and the fish have evolved for that kind of water.

I have a hardness of 6 and a pH of 7.5. I can keep some soft water fish, those with a water preference that goes a bit higher than just soft. If you want to look at dwarf cichlids, see Apistogramma borellii as the one that can cope with higher pH and hardness. Apistogramma cacatuoides might be OK and are easier to find in shops. Although Bolivian rams and kribensis would be OK in your water, they do need a bigger tank than 60 litres.

And the reason I suggested testing your tap water after 24 hours is to get a base line reading for your tank. The water in there isn't freshly drawn  :D If it is different from your tank water there must be something in your tank altering it. Since you have middling hard water, it is possible that 'stood' tapwater is lower than your tank, and something is pushing it up. But then again, you might have middling hardness and high pH naturally.

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 01:29:45 PM »
Right Sue it must be the sand or river pebbles in my tank as the ph stood overnight was the same as from the tap. Having just spent a lot on this sand and pebbles I am not a happy camper.

My sand is Limpopo sand. Have a goofed badly here?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
Limpopo sand should be neutral and not affect pH. It depends on what pebbles you have, but river pebbles are pretty always neutral as well, any chalk or limestone tends to dissolve in river water and those pebbles rarely exist in rivers. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
I bought some Unipac Limpopo sand a few years ago and never used it because it fizzed when I put vinegar on it. So I tested it - 2 tubs of water, one with a layer of the sand in it. After standing a week, the tub with sand was 0.3 pH higher than the one without and the hardness and carbonate hardness were both 2 deg higher than without. I would be inclined to disagree with Richard and say it is the limpopo sand. Having said that, I understand from my reading that they've changed it more recently so it doesn't have this effect. If you've only bought it recently, you might have got an old bag. To my mind when I washed it, the sand I bought looked for all the world like dyed limestone sand.

Do you have any left over? If you do, try putting some vinegar on it. If not, I'd remove a pinch from the tank, wash it and allow it to dry, then put some vinegar on it. See whether it fizzes (very small bubbles not like opening a bottle of pop!).
Some sand is made from crushed coral or limestone. Both of these are made from calcium carbonate which slowly dissolves in water. The calcium part increases general hardness, the carbonate part increases carbonate hardness, and the pH goes up as well. I didn't use my bag because I didn't want to increase my pH or hardness (though a bit more carbonate hardness wouldn't be a bad thing with my tapwater)

You can do the same to the pebbles as well, but make sure you wash the vinegar off thoroughly before putting them back in the tank.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »
I guess one should never trust the supplier whatever they say  :)

Do they really bring sand all the way from the Limpopo!! Or is it just a name? Maybe there's real neutral Limpopo sand and stuff dyed to look like it.

I know people buy "black" sand as some fish are said to prefer a dark substrate, but I reckon that's less important than a dark background and plenty of plants to make a fish feel secure. I don't believe a dark substrate helps if you have clear glass on all sides of a fairly bare tank.

I'd never buy sand from an aquarium supplier, super cheap lime-free silver sand (which is actually quite dark when wet) from the garden centre has served me very well for all my tanks at very little cost. I get stones and pebbles from my allotment, I have to dig them out anyway, so why not use them. I do have Hydrochloric acid to hand to test them with, but the only ones that have effervesced were those that were obviously chalk or limestone just by looking at them.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »
I think it's just they name they've given it  ;) They do Limpopo, Maui, Fiji, Samoa, Senegal and Congo sands. And Tana sand if that's a place.

I bought the unipac limpopo sand because I'd been told you could clean it like gravel with the grains being that bit bigger and heavier then sand usually is. I have an expensive bag of partly washed sand just sitting in the garage  :(

I'm always worried about getting the wrong kind if it's not from a fish shop! In my two bigger tanks I have cheap sand from a fish shop, not a brand name. It's pale beige with larger black particles. The betta's tank has unipac silica sand which is more orangey and goes nicely with the terracotta cave in there. More expensive but I don't need much for a small tank.

Edit: there's a Tana lake and river in Africa, a river in Cuba, a river in Norway and an island in Oceania  ;D

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
Considering the crappy advice fish shops give out about fish, I'm not convinced their knowledge of sand is likely to be any better.

My interest is always in making things look as natural as possible, hence the dense planting, which lots of people would think looks messy. I find the very neutral silver sand colour fits in with this and I would rather be boiled in oil than have coloured gravel in my tanks. Then again, I also have black painted backs and sides of the tanks and I'd never have an "ornament", so there's nothing much to "match" colourwise, apart from plants and fish. The silver sand is pretty fine, but I never have to vacuum it, I assume that the many small snails, which many people seem to hate, get rid of the mulm and the resulting fertilisers are used up by the plants. Let nature do the work and fiddle about with the tanks as little as possible is my philosophy.

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
Oh   :vcross: It fizzes, I must have an old bag. I had already overspent by getting too much and now that's no good. I take it that I need to drain most of the water and get it out and find some neutral black sand...bah humbug.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
A bag of 'play sand' for kiddies' sand pits is also an option. Quite cheap I believe and bigger grains than silver sand. Pool filter sand is also used by some people.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »
I looked at play sand, but as it didn't say lime-free, I didn't try it.

A problem with sand of mixed grain size is that the finer particles tend to work their way downwards, leaving the coarser ones on top, perhaps not so good  for corydoras.

I really don't like the look of black sand, but no accounting for taste.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
It is fairly easy to remove sand using a siphon tube. Remove the wide rigid part then start the siphon using just the narrow flexible tube. Either use my method - hold the tube under the tap with both ends pointing upward, run water into it till the tube is full, carry it to the tank and with a thumb over each end, lower one into the tank and the other into the bucket. Or use the other method - one end in the tank and suck on the other end till the water starts to flow then put it into the bucket.
Whichever way you start the flow, use the end of the tube as a hoover to suck out all the sand. If you need more than one bucketful, I put both ends of the tube into the bucket, carry it away, lift both ends out and hold them together with the rest of the tube hanging down, empty the bucket then carry it all back to the tank and start again.

I find hoovering it out like this much easier than trying to scrape sand out of an empty tank. And you don't end up scratching the glass. It will be worth emptying all the water out and refilling to get rid of the hardness and high pH.

Don't forget to keep adding the small dose of ammonia to feed the bacteria till all this is sorted.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 08:26:40 AM »
I looked at play sand, but as it didn't say lime-free, I didn't try it.

I'll try and nick some from the nieces's sand pit next time I'm at my sister's house..... unless anyone on here has more immediate access to the theft of a small child's play sand? ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
I got my sand from toys are us at £2.99 a pop for 15kg which was good as I needed 4 bags, that's was lime free and I've not had any issues with it.

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »
I like the contrast between the black sand pale pebbles and it works with the rocky background I have on. I did think that it would be a good backdrop for the colours too.  :)

Offline Cheryl

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
Thanks Sue just seen your post that sounds a good way to do it. I may have to use play sand as the black sand I come across is quite expensive. I have sent a message to the sellers suggesting that they need to put on there ad that this sand raises PH. Hopefully others won't get caught out.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish for high ph"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 11:58:16 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2015, 07:17:37 PM
by tracymeg
68 Replies
Last post April 14, 2016, 11:55:40 AM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 01:35:59 PM
by Fiona
26 Replies
Last post July 12, 2016, 05:21:33 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2018, 07:57:56 AM
by Matt
17 Replies
Last post June 28, 2018, 08:53:30 PM
by Cinders

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: