Fish Fighting / Suggested Decor Alterations

Author Topic: Fish fighting / suggested decor alterations  (Read 3336 times) 6 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Fish fighting / suggested decor alterations
« on: September 21, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
After hoping that the tank might be problem-free for the foreseeable future as it was well balanced with fish of similar size and temperament and behaviour, a fight broke out this morning.  There are occasional daily squabbles but this episode started suddenly, became quite violent and was prolonged - I was working from home and could see them beyond the laptop.  Two tetras were swimming in conjoined fashion, covering the entire length and depth of the tank at some speed, then a third joined in.  There were “spats” among the silk plants, behind the rock and out in the open.  The remaining fish then got involved in their own similar mini battles/chases – the remaining 3 tetras with one another, the harlequins in twos, and anyone (tetra or harlequin) who had the misfortune to end up near the original 3 tetras got driven as far away as possible.  At some stage during this episode, one fish incurred an injured caudal peduncle with a protruding fleck very similar to the recurring one that one of the cories had.

I ‘m assuming that this is all about who is claiming the newly available territory previously occupied by the cories and/or re-establishment of the pecking order as it’s very similar to the behaviour when I first got the tetras and the harlequins.  Water readings are all good, and fish's colours are all very vivid as usual.  I don’t suppose that there is much that I can do about preventing future fights like this although I wondered what thoughts were on the following:
•   Indian almond leaves, said to have mildly sedative/calming properties
•   Replacing the potentially injury-inducing rock cave with a glass jar cave, an idea I got from an aquatic shop – as fish don’t see the glass of their tank, might this cause potential collisions, especially as decor gets inevitably slightly misplaced during/after weekly tank cleaning?

Offline Sue

Re: Fish fighting / suggested decor alterations
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
It does sound as though something is going on. What species of tetra are they, one known for a peaceful nature or one known to be a bit aggressive?
It could be they've finally matured and you have males sorting out a pecking order.

Ial are supposed to have a calming effect, it wouldn't hurt to try, though they will make the water go slightly brown.
I'm not sure on the glass jar idea, for the reasons you suggest. But you could cover the jar in silicone then roll it in sand. Not only would that be less damaging, the fish would be able to see it and you'd have something a bit more natural looking in the tank.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
That's very helpful, thanks, and a good suggestion re how to adapt the glass jar idea.

They're x-ray tetras which I've now had for 11 months. The two largest ones (the greediest two and possibly the two females on account of their shape) have always had quite strong personalities, hating the tanklights being on and cowering (to the extent that I stopped using it as they wouldn't adapt to it but they do have a table sidelight on for some of the day when I'm at home) and hating water changes (although they're much better now since the harlequins joined them 4 months ago as they move around en masse during water changes rather than spending up to an hour cowering and hiding afterwards), and swimming up quite menacingly immediately behind the cories when they foraged in order to get any titbits of food that they might unearth. This morning's fight started off with one large one and one of the smaller/thinner ones, then another smaller/thinner one joined in - so perhaps it is possible that they were pairing off and another male decided to compete for the female. I'll keep my usual close eye on the situation, though - but at least I know the "fleck" was caused by an injury rather than anything else.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »
I don't really have any advice – Sue's the expert – but hope you get this sorted out and back to a nice peaceful tank. :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
Thanks, Diz1.  The injured fish now has a raw-looking wound in place of the "fleck", visible from both sides (perhaps because of the x-ray body), but otherwise is behaving normally and with vivid colours; will just have to keep a close eye on him and the tank situation, though!  Thankfully, it doesn't look as though any other fish have been injured today while I've been away.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
Would it be possible to create a partition with some more plants in a descending manor? (Back to front) Break the line of sight and offer a few more hiding places.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
Thanks, Alex. I've got driftwood in the middle and plants dotted around for that purpose, and each fish seems to have created its own territory between these, although I've noticed one of the large/female tetras taking ownership of one half of the tank, sending everyone else into the other half, particular at/after feeding times. I might experiment with your suggestion (or some sort of variation of it) during tomorrow's water change.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish fighting / suggested decor alterations"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:37:30 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2014, 06:49:28 PM
by Fiona
0 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 12:33:49 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2015, 03:37:48 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 09:06:16 AM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post July 08, 2016, 08:53:39 AM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 11:07:02 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: