Fish Feeding Advice Please

Author Topic: Fish feeding advice please  (Read 34183 times) 22 replies

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
Fish feeding advice please
« on: August 16, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi again,

I hope you don't mind if I tap your collective brains and get some advice on how and what best to feed my fish?

I have 5 Neon tetras and 5 Endler Guppies in a 60cm tank and have the following food at hand:
  • Aqua One Colour Enhancing Flakes (red tub, yellow top).
  • TetraMin "Complete food for all tropical fish" (brown top).
  • TetraFreshDelica Bloodworms in sachets.
  • TetraFreshDelica Brine Shrimps in sachets.
I've also got some TetraMin Weekend pellets and TetraMin Holiday (which looks like some sort of pate tub) which I don't intend to ever use now I know better.

I tend to alternate the two different flake foods for variety and occasionally give them half a sachet of brine shrimp (once or twice a week).  They don't seem to like the bloodworm sachets though.

I read that Endlers only eat what they can fit in their mouths so I grind a small amount of flakes into powder in the palm of my hand then sprinkle that on the surface of the water.  Is this correct or should I just roughly crumble a couple of flakes between thumb and finger while adding it?

Next time we have peas for tea I'm going to save one, de-skin it and chop it up to see if they like that.
Do you know if broccoli is OK?  When SWMBO bags up fresh broccoli for the freezer she keeps the debris for me to add into soups and pasta.

Are there any other things I can do to keep my fish happy?

Many thanks,
Ken

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish feeding advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »
I crush the flakes in my hand as well. I reckon that if I'm only feeding a few flakes, the more particles there are the more chance there is for everyone to get some.

It could be that the fish don't like the gel those delica things are in. I've only used them once or twice as I find frozen cubes easier to deal with.
You will have to buy some equipment as I don't think SWIMBO would approve of you hijacking the kitchen things - a tea strainer and a cheap sharp knife. And if you happen to have a spare tile left over from doing the bathroom, that'll come in handy too. Save a small yoghurt pot or some such (I favour those individual cheesecake pots)

Squeeze the delica gel into the tea strainer and wash the gel off, and feed what's left in the strainer. When you've used it all, get some frozen cubes of bloodworm and brine shrimp. Use your new knife and the spare bathroom tile as a chopping board to chop a portion off a cube. With bloodworm, shave layers off as that also chops up the worms.  Deposit the rapidly defrosting bits into the yoghurt pot and add a bit of tank water. The water goes red with bloodworm - unless I've choped the bits up so small they'd go through the strainer, I strain them then feed the bits. I also strain brine shrimp and wash to remove any salt.

If the broccoli debris includes just the tiny flower heads, yes you can try those. Microwave them in some water to blanch them first, then keep an eye on if the fish actually eat them. If they do, good, feed that again. If they don't, siphon it out before it goes off.
With peas, you'll need to mash the insides up quite small for your fish. Turn the filter off just before you drop it in, but don't forget to turn it back on 5 mins later. If you leave the filter running, it'll get sucked up before the fish can get it. Voice of experience  ;D

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
Thanks Sue.  Some great ideas there for me to tackle.   :D

Looks like a trip to the Pound shop is in order to get a tea strainer and a tile then.   As for the knife...  :-X

I'll give the broccoli a try tomorrow and let you know.

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
Hi Ken,
My lot love a bit of courgette...I originally put some in for my otos before I had a good crop of algae for them...but all the fish went crazy for it. Same goes...get thickish slice, say about 1/4 inch, (sorry, I do old money ;) ) put a few drops of water with it in a cup or similar and microwave it for around about 20 seconds , just to soften it slightly, make sure it is cooled and drop it in to the tank. If it floats, hold it down with something...a rock... or a tank ( ;D ) or put a stainless steel fork through it and let that weigh it down.
I hook any they haven't eaten out after a couple of hours.

Bon appetit, fishies ;)

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »
Thanks Resa (I'm old school too).

Hmm - we don't often get such things as courgettes here.  Lin doesn't bother getting things like that in for just her 'cos I hate 'em.   :o    ;D

But I'll keep an eye on her salad bowl for suitable donations to the fish diet.   ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
You can use cucumber, but courgette has more food value.

My husband doesn't like courgette either. I used to feed it a few years ago. I bought just one, sliced it then froze it on a sheet. When frozen, bag it. The advantage with that is that you don't have to microwave it after thawing as the freeze-thaw process softens it.

I can't think why on earth I stopped feeding it  ???

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
The fishies have to fight us for courgette, as we all love 'em :D The plus side is, they grow really well here. I must actually try the yellow ones on the fishies....I wonder if they have a better nutritional value to the fish....usually the brighter colour the fruit and veg, the better it is for you...s'ppose it would be the same for the fish? :-\

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
Cheers, 
Guess who went out for a meal tonight and slipped a bit of cucumber into the doggie bag.   ;)
(We've also got a parrot who goes mad if we don't bring him back a tidbit.)

Said (washed) cucumber slice is now weighted down under a few rocks awaiting attention...  :)

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
I've heard of a doggy-bag, but never a fishy one ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »
I nearly got a parrot when I was a kid. My brother and his mates had one in their cabin on the ship he was based on. When the ship was going in to dry dock for a refurb, the parrot needed a home, and my brother thought I could have him. Unfortunately, when my mum heard his repetoire, she soon put the kybosh on that idea :(
He did have rather a foul beak on him I must admit...but it sounded so funny :D
If someone entered the room he would instruct them to "shut the f****** door, and wipe your f****** feet!" :-[

Does yours have a similar vocabulary?

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »
Nah, mine can only just about say "Hello" these days, much as I've tried...   ;)
He's a lazy 50-something year old and can't be bothered anymore.  Mind you, he can sure express himself even without words.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
I've spotted some real weird funny behaviour in a couple of my Tetras after they've been fed...
I checked it up online and it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about, maybe you've seen this before?

For a while after feeding, two of my Tetras have the habit of hanging almost motionless for a few seconds, nose down in the tank.  Almost immediately they snap out of it and carry on as if nothing's happened.  I read that it's probably because they've stuffed themselves too quickly on flake and it's temporarily upset their system as the food expands inside them.  They seem fine after about an hour.

The funny thing about it is that one of the other Tetras has noticed this and the moment they start "dipping" he bangs into them which sends them vertical almost instantly.  I think he's having fun with them, taking the Micky.

Here's a couple of pics of what I mean (darn, I wish those Endlers would slow down long enough to get a decent picture.  Your photos are fantastic Jesnon - what's your secret?)

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
I see what you mean, it does look a bit odd. I have a suggestion - crush up the flake and soak it in a bit of tank water before putting it in. Sometimes fish are affected by dry food asborbing water inside the fish and swelling up there. I always presoak my betta's food for that reason.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »
Thanks Sue, I'll give that a try.

Even stranger, one of the 2 affected ones has taken a delight in dipping into the bubble stream while like that.  The effect of the bubbles is the same as him being bashed by the other fish and he goes nose down immediately.  It's almost as if he's enjoying the sensation!   ::)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Dutchy - very weird about your neona! They seem to gave learned a handy trick though ha. And ahh I love parrots. I looked after someone's whillst  they were away and it was so fun to have him around, even if he was a tad vicious!

In terms of the pics - I think I just get very lucky! I gave a good camera and look photography, but aquarium photography is so tricky! I think it was Steve who had a list of suggestions on one of Sue's threads in the gallery, which work really well! Other than that I take lots until one comes out ok! Unfortunately I still haven't got a decent pic of my newer and prettiest endler as he's so quick!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jesnon! Glad to be of service. Those tips were on the following threads.

Here

and Here

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »
No problem! And thanks for posting the links, I'm stuck on my phone until we get our internet transferred so it's hard work on here, and hence all the typos!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
Yeah, really weird behaviour Jesnon.  Unfortunately it seems there may have been a problem after all as one of the poor wee things died overnight.  So that leaves me with 4 tetras and 4 "Endlers".  That's not enough Tetras for comfort according to the Community Creator (and one of them is definitely a bit of a bully) so I think I'll buy another 3 today to calm things down again.

Re the parrot:  he's quite vicious too with everyone else but me.  I can do almost anything to him but woe betide anyone else who gets too close.   ;D

Thanks for the photo tips Steve, I'll have a play with my camera settings.  I don't hold out much hope though, it's only a Nikon Coolpix.  There's plenty of shooting options like indoors, macro, portrait etc but no ISO or shuuter adjustments by the looks of it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »
It could just be the newness of the tank that is problematic for the neons. As I mentioned in another thread, they commonly just drop dead for no apparent reason in tanks under six months old. These fish are big business. They are bred in less than ideal conditions in fish farms, and they probably breed from any old fish not prime specimens which introduces undesirable (weak) genes into the population. Nowadays, neon tetras seem to need something that takes around six months to develop in a tank (perhaps some micro-organisms) for them to survive.

You have the choice - get more neons and risk them dying too, or wait a few months before getting more.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
Sorry to hear about your tetra :-( I wouldn't buy any more just yet as the dead fish may have produced some ammonia. If you keep an eye on your water and leave it a couple of days I guess it might be ok to add more then (Sue and the others will know better though!)

Ha he sounds exactly like the parrot I looked after! Perfectly lovely to his owner but with a sharp beak for anyone else! The time he decided to land on my head was both amusing and terrifying!

Some cameras even have an 'aquarium' mode, I know my old point and shoot canon used to anyway which would be worth a play with!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish feeding advice please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 04:50:50 PM
by Sanjo
5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
by Richard W
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 11:31:29 AM
by Fiona
10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2018, 08:05:58 AM
by fcmf
68 Replies
Last post December 18, 2018, 04:12:54 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:55:39 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2019, 12:39:23 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: