Fish Compatibilty

Author Topic: Fish Compatibilty  (Read 3118 times) 5 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Fish Compatibilty
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I've just come across this article. It makes a good read for anyone adding fish to an aquarium, or setting one up.

Link

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Fish Compatibilty
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hmmmm. "In aquaria, Asian barbs have their own way of interacting with shoals of different fish. But the chances are that a shoal of Amazonian tetra won't understand the rules – they've evolved their own ways of fitting in. In some cases, an aquarium is little more than a huge cultural time bomb, waiting to blow."  :-[

I found this way back a couple of years ago when I was investigating options: http://aquariuminfo.org/compatibility.html It looks as though there are a few similar types of ones around although I haven't looked at them in depth.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
An interesting read.  I'll have to teach fish to say 'Good morning, how do you do?'.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:27:40 PM »
Helping develop international relations  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »
I didn't realise it when I made my new fish choices a few months ago but I've just looked up where they are from -  all from islands in Indonesia and the Philipines. I knew they were all from the far east but I hadn't realised they were all so close.
And I deliberately chose shoaling fish that were not hierarchical (rasboras and rice fish) and non-shoaling fish that are only territorial with their own kind, and even then only the males (gudgeons and stiphodons)

Of the fish I moved in from the 50 litre, cories are south American so they'll speak a totally different language. The Boraras brigittae should be OK (Borneo) but the B. maculatus are from Malaysia, not exactly in the islands but not far away.

So by accident, I chose fish that should understand each other, and even those I moved in, with the exception of the cories, should be OK too. I have noticed that the Boraras have been much more outgoing since they were moved - is that due to the bigger tank or their new tank mates?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »
That's fortunate, and also interesting.

Originally, I had x-ray tetras and intended to have panda cories but ended up with pygmy cories, so both species were from South America. The tetras didn't exactly treat the cories with "respect" - the males swam so low in the tank and had so many sparring episodes that they knocked over the cories with immense regularity, while the females swam rather intimidatingly immediately behind the cories as they were foraging, in order to get extra food that they unearthed (ie let the cories do the hard foraging work and benefited from that).

I opted for harlequin rasboras (from Asia) due to the similar nature to tetras, albeit from different parts of the world. In the few months' overlap between the harlequins' arrival and the cories' departure :'(, I observed that the harlequins would have made much better tankmates for the cories as they swam higher in the tank and so didn't bowl them over or intimidate them. The two smallest harlequins even seemed to befriend the cories, possibly due to being more similar in size.

I find the harlequins and the x-ray tetras a better "fit" than the x-ray tetras were with the cories despite the differences in geographical origin. The tetras spend most of the morning with the males sparring and then chasing the females, while the harlequins tend to be dotted around the tank, quite calmly but ignoring them. However, in the afternoons, they intermingle more, often by size - the two smallest male tetras sometimes swimming/playing with the two smallest harlequins, or the 4 similar-sized harlequins together, or often one harlequin will take possession of one half of the tank while the remaining 10 tankmates intermingle in the other half. At night, as soon as the light is switched off, they do form species-specific shoals - the harlequins develop an immediate formation in the upper half of the tank, while the tetras develop a looser formation underneath with some jiggling around to identify a suitable spot within that formation.

In my own case, so far, I think size and temperament of fish probably has a greater bearing than geographical origin.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish Compatibilty"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: