Fish - Change In Environment - "quieter" Than Usual

Author Topic: Fish - change in environment - "quieter" than usual  (Read 4649 times) 12 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Fish - change in environment - "quieter" than usual
« on: March 25, 2016, 05:11:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I did the usual water change regime this morning. The catappa leaves were due to be replaced and, after boiling the new ones to soften them, I decided to add the cooled-down, tannin-stained water along with the dechlorinated water into the tank, to give the fish a more authentic environment which I thought they would like. However, they don't seem to be too happy - 7 hours post- water change and the tetras in particular are still crowded together in one location, their tails not yet back to their usual bright red, while the harlequins are much more stationary and schooling more than usual.

The saucepan should have been fine ie no remnants of food or washing-up liquid in it, so I don't think that can be to blame. I'm wondering if the fish will just get used to the darker water in time or whether I ought to do another water change in order to restore some normality for them (or might that stress them further)? Another water change would run the risk of the already-low KH (1.5 from the tap, 3 in the tank with the limestone rock) becoming even lower. The fish were perfectly fine prior to this water change - in fact, I'd just been commenting how great it was that they were all doing so well and that the QT hadn't been in use for more than 6 months since the cories' problems. Thoughts welcome; thanks.

Offline fcmf

Re: Fish - change in environment - "quieter" than usual
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »
PS. to previous post. It struck me that one option is to have a bucket of dechlorinated water, containing the large lump of limestone rock which does not reside in the tank with the rest of the limestone rock, at the ready in case I do decide to do a further water change later on. In the meantime, hopefully that limestone rock will increase the KH of the replacement water, if I do decide to go ahead with that water change.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 06:00:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hello fcmf,

I think I would do the w/c asap. You can always deal with the KH later. Could it be insecticide on the Catappa leaves? Would it be worth checking pH?

Skittler

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
As these leaves are supposed to calm fish down, essentially by sedating them, I'd suggest that you have given them an overdose by also adding the water to the tank. I'd definitely do a water change.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
Thank you both so much for your advice, Skittler and RichardW. I put some dinner in the tank which was completely ignored for the first time ever which made me realise something was indeed very wrong. I then saw Skittler's response and thought that was a wise course of action. Part-way through the water change, I then saw Richard's and realised that that must indeed have been what had happened. Almost as soon as the 30% water change was complete, the fish started to perk up and are swimming around now - very different behaviour from earlier and much more like normal. It seems that indeed they had experienced an overdose earlier. In hindsight, I can't believe I was so daft as to think that I was doing something potentially positive and that it would be without consequence. It's bad enough when fish fall ill for no particular reason but infinitely worse when you realise that it was entirely your own fault and could have been completely prevented.

Thanks again, both - much appreciated!

Any other suggestions - an additional water change later on or anything else, or just leave them be and keep fingers tightly crossed?

[Meanwhile, I feel like I need a chamomile tea - but that seems the wrong choice of drink under the circumstances!]

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:47:43 PM »
Glad that things have improved.

I have read that catappa leaves contain acids, and that some people have used them to gently reduce pH. Perhaps by boiling them, all of this acid entered the water, rather than leaching out over a period of time. I would check your pH as a precaution.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
I've been thinking (which can be quite strenuous!). Whatever the noxious substance was which upset the fish, there is still 70% of it in the tank. Depending on how the fish seem, I would think about another w/c, perhaps tomorrow?

Skittler

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »
Thanks, Skittler. I ran the full set of tests on the water and all were at their normal/expected levels. My PH doesn't usually change with the catappa leaves but, even with 8 hours of these leaves plus the cooled-down tannin-stained water, it was still at the usual level.

I'll fill a bucket of water now and put the limestone rock in it to harden it up a bit (as KH and GH are now very low), with a view to using this water for a water change tomorrow.

I'm watching all very intently and "willing" the tetras' tails to brighten up. I expect I'll be checking on them a few times during the night too - there have been a few all-night vigils for my pet fish over the years and this may well turn out to be another one of those...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 08:13:06 AM »
Been up since the first sign of daylight, to check on the fish. Thank goodness all seems to be well and normality has resumed. Tetras' tails are back to bright red, and they're chasing one another round the tank and among the leaves, as often happens in the mornings. Harlequins are behaving much more naturally. No tight shoaling around the heater or disturbingly unusual but impressive synchronised swimming displays. Everyone devoured their breakfast, most likely being extra hungry after no dinner last night. Lesson learned!

I'll do a further water change today if I can get the KH and GH of the replacement water to increase from 1 and 2 respectively - I'll keep prodding the limestone rock to help that along.

Thanks again for your help, both.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »
Excellent news.

Skittler

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 09:07:42 AM »
I agree, brilliant news, happy for you fcmf  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
It's always quite worrying when there is a change of behaviour with fish, but it's good to hear that things are back to normal with your tank this morning.
 :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »
Something newcomers to the hobby should be aware of is that fish are the best indicators that something is not right in the tank. fcmf's fish have just demonstrated that very well, and she knew to take notice of the change in behaviour and to work out what the problem was.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish - change in environment - "quieter" than usual"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 11:03:44 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 09:27:04 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 08:55:02 AM
by Robert
27 Replies
Last post August 22, 2016, 10:11:02 PM
by Littlefish
70 Replies
Last post July 26, 2017, 06:46:43 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2021, 10:38:50 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: