Filter Flow Rate

Author Topic: Filter flow rate  (Read 11130 times) 49 replies

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
Filter flow rate
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello, I recently bought a 60 cm wide 54 lite tank. I did a little research online so I knew that the tank needed to be cycled, however I went to my local aquatic shop and was told that I should not cycle the tank with fish and the fish-less cycle takes an age. However he could recommend a product that will cycle the tank immediately - ATM Colony. I presumed a local business would be giving sound advice, so I bought it along with 6 white mountain minnows, 6 neon tetras and 6 lampeye panchax. Luckily I purchased the NTLABS Aquarium Lab as after 36 hours the ammonia rate went up to 0.5 and after 4 days nitrite levels reached 0.5, although the ammonia was then reducing. I've since done a 80% water change and a 30% water change and the levels seem to be under control (ammonia 0, nitrite between 0.1-0.2 after 7days). Obviously the number of fish in the tank at the moment is too high for conventional cycling, but I only have one tank so I'll have to persevere with the regular (almost daily) water changes. So the product ATM Colony seems to have sped up the ammonia eating bacteria but not so successful with the nitrite eating bacteria, I do wished I'd stumbled upon this site before going to the local shop to avoid a stressful few days :(.

That's the background and thanks to the various forum posts I was able to avoid a tank of dead fish :).

So the query I have is that my internal filter has a rating of 300 litres per hour so is larger than required for the tank, which I don't mind but the flow is really fast and cycles quickly across the surface and rolls round at the other end of the tank. Is this OK for the fish I'm keeping and the plants I have?

Also, I'm not entirely sure what temperature I should maintain (currently 25 C - 26 C), I understand the minnows tolerate lower temperatures.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Filter flow rate
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:37:43 PM »
25-26 should suit all your fish, although it could go a little lower. I tend to look at the range of temperatures my fish need and go for somewhere in the middle.

Can you adjust the flow of the filter?

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »
Thanks for that about the temperature. There's no way to adjust the flow rate, it's a cheap filter that came with the aquarium, heater etc. I just really want to know if it's OK for the fish and plants. The fish seem to love it, darting in and out and I have made few caves for shelter and there is a quiet zone below the filter that they sometimes congregate in.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »
The minnows don't just "tolerate" lower temperatures, they prefer it. All of my tanks are at 22- 23 degrees and I've never had any problems. The saving in electricity can be considerable, though it won't make much difference with only one tank. Most of the information about conditions fish need are just passed without question from one book or web site to another without question, even if they are wrong.

I would say your filter relative to tank size really is rather too powerful for most fish. You can slow down the rate (assuming it can't be adjusted) by tying a piece of foam over the exit. Most fish can cope with fast flow but they do need a rest, forcing them to endure it at all times is likely to stress them out. The flow at the bottom of the tank should be much slower than at the top, that's how things are in nature and most fish stick close to the bottom in fast water to get out of the flow.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »
The only plants that might have a problem with a fast flow rate would be things like amazonian frogbit. I've got quite  fast flow rate and the vallis and hygrophila just grow with the flow  :)

What plants do you have?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
Hi BDS,

Welcome!

Your experience seems to be fairly typical of what happens – often, generic pet shops have not heard of the fishless cycle or tend to say that leaving the tank alone for a few days is the fishless cycle, while aquatic shops tend to be more aware of what it involves but often dissuade from it for what sounds fairly plausible reasons, especially to someone fairly inexperienced. In terms of sound advice (or lack of it), what is of particular concern is that they sold all 18 of those fish at once in conjunction with knowing that you’d be doing a fish-in cycle albeit with the aid of that product – if they’d sold one of those shoals (probably not the neons which are best suited to more mature aquariums), then that would have been more sensible.

However, well done for keeping up the regular water testing and water changes which are and will be crucial to try to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0, and nitrates low (ideally under 20 if at all possible). The evidence for products such as ATM Colony, Tetra Safestart, Fluval Cycle, etc, is quite variable, so keep bearing that in mind and keep up your regime of water testing and water changes over the next month to six weeks, just to ensure that no “spike” occurs when you might be least expecting it or just when you think that all is safe – there is a greater degree of risk of exposure to ammonia/nitrites and high nitrates with fish-in cycling than with fish-less cycling, hence the need for scrupulous monitoring, and especially with that number of fish.

A few specific suggestions/queries:
•   I’d recommend doing the testing at least twice a day eg first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening and, if at all feasible, during the daytime as well. 
•   What size of daily water changes are you doing?
•   What water dechlorinator are you using? Seachem Prime has the advantage of detoxifying the effects of any ammonia/nitrates/nitrites on the fish for 24hrs, and it might be an idea to use that for the next while at least until you’ve got through the cycling process, after which you could always return to using whatever other product you may have bought.
•   Underfeeding (eg half a flake per fish per day) during this time, so 9 flakes per tank, would also be wise, in order to minimise the amount of ammonia produced by the fish.

As for the internal filter, what you could do is cut a piece of aquarium sponge to fit in the filter nozzle and keep it in place with one of those twisty wire things (sorry – forgotten what they’re called!) that goes round the top of a loaf of bread. Alternatively, a spray bar can help.

Hope this helps.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »
Ok thanks Richard, I'll drop the temperature a couple of degrees. Do you mean "special aquarium foam" or something like a kitchen sponge (not a used one)? The flow at the bottom is slower and the dwarf hairgrass don't move around much, but plant debris flows along quite fast at the lower end of the tank indicating a significant flow.

Hi Fiona, the plants I have are dwarf hairgrass, cabomba, vallis, ludwigia and bacopa and I have some dwarf arrowheads coming soon. The vallis aren't growing with the flow particularly well! They look a bit dull but all the rest look bright and healthy.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
You might find you have problems with the dwarf hairgrass but that's more to do with its growth requirements than the water flow. All the rest should be fine. What type of vallis is it? I have NEVER been able to grow the twisted variety, it just dissolves!

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »
Yes fcmf, thanks for the information. I now wish I'd spent a few hours rummaging through this site prior to going to the shop. However there's not a lot to do about it now apart from avoiding said shop. I have been testing 2-3 times a day for ammonia and nitrite and once for pH and nitrate. So far I have done a 80 % water change (yesterday) and a 30% (2 days ago). The levels this morning were as follows:

pH - 7.5
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0.25
NO3 - 5.0
KH - 13

I received a bottle of Seachem Prime in post today, so will add that to the water change. With those levels I was thinking of another 30% water change today? I'm feeding them very little (minute pinch that is gone in about a couple of minuets )every other day, is that about right?

Fiona thanks for that, it's not twisted vallis and it came to me looking a bit off colour so maybe it just needs some time.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
I received a bottle of Seachem Prime in post today, so will add that to the water change. With those levels I was thinking of another 30% water change today? I'm feeding them very little (minute pinch that is gone in about a couple of minuets )every other day, is that about right?

Excellent re Seachem Prime, and suggestion for feeding sounds about right although you might be better giving half that amount every day ie that is eaten within one minute. 30% (or indeed anything up to 50%) water change is probably fine, if that can get/keep the ammonia and nitrite down to 0.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
Broadly speaking, there are two types of sponge: those that hold water and those that allow water to run through. You need the latter for adapting a filter.
And some kitchen sponges come impregnated with detergent or antibac. Make sure you use just plain sponge with no additives.

With pH 7.5 and a temp of 25 deg C, you can allow the ammonia to reach 1.0 without harm to the fish - I've just used an ammonia calculator to work that out  ;D Lowering the temp a degree or two will make it even better.
In case you've not found it yet, ammonia in water exists in 2 forms, toxic ammonia and less toxic ammonium. The amount of each varies with the pH and temp and there are calculators to work out how much is in the toxic form.
Nitrite is different as there is no less toxic form so that should be kept below 0.25ppm.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
Thank you Sue, I may just order the sponge online to be safe. Ammonia is at zero at present and I'm testing  for nitrite on a regular basis.

Thanks for all your speedy replies. I'll post a photo of my aquarium setup in the gallery, sometime.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
I'll post a photo of my aquarium setup in the gallery, sometime.
Excellent; looking forward to seeing it.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »
Sympathies with the need for frequent water changes. I over cleaned my filter once and started off a mini cycle and ended up doing water changes twice a day. It'll all be worth it in the end though.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
I've reduced the flow with a small piece of kitchen sponge (brand new without cleansers etc). That's fine, I'm now wondering about the position of the out flow. At the moment it's about 1 cm below the surface. My question is should it be slightly above the surface to cause a gas exchange or will this occur with it underwater? I do have a separate air pump and air stone that I turn on every day but without this would there be enough oxygenation from just the filter?

On a side note I'm still doing 25%-50% water changes every other day to control the nitrite. At the moment I've had 0 ammonia for 7+ days. Nitrite is 0 after a water change (plus Seachem treatment), .25 after one day and .5 after two days. Are these still the expected levels after a in fish cycling for 3 weeks? If you don't remember I was given erroneous advice from my LFS and they sold me an "instant" cycle treatment and 18 fish, so I've been cycling the tank with far too many fish  ::). The fish themselves appear fine. I'm really hoping the cycle will finish soon  :), but am aware it could be sometime.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 09:19:16 PM »
I suppose what I'm saying is this normal?

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »
As long as the filter is causing the water to flow across the surface, that will oxygenate it enough. The idea is to move the water that is at the surface at this moment across the tank, down the side opposite the filter and across the bottom of the tank back to the filter. This continually pushes oxygenated water to the bottom of the tank and pulls oxygen depleted water to the surface.

The nitrite eaters can only start to grow once the ammonia eaters have started making nitrite. The nitrite eaters always lag behind. It is generally accepted that once it appears it takes twice as long for nitrite to drop to zero than it did for ammonia to drop to zero.
6 weeks is considered average for both fish-in and fishless cycles - though usually with fish-in you have fewer fish than you do and that 6 weeks is just growing enough bacteria for the few fish. You then have to build up slowly till the tank is fully stocked. Starting with a lot of fish, it could take longer than 6 weeks  :-\

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
Ok, thanks Sue. I thought as much but needed confirmation. I'm prepared to wait and continue the water changes. I've just ordered another nitrite testing kit as I've nearly exhausted the previous one :o. My little fish are doing fine with this regime  :).

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
I've just completed the weekly water tests and the results are as follows:

Nitrite: 0.25 mg/ l (ppm) This is a little confusing as it states Nitrite NO2-N mg/l (ppm). To convert NO2-N to NO2 multiply by 3.3 which would mean NO2 of 0.825 (much higher than I've been expecting)
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0 This could be effected by the Seachem I've been using with the 30%-50% water changes, but has been zero for 7+ days.
GH: 16 (284 ppm)
KH: 9 (160 ppm)
Nitrate: 2.5  mg/ l (ppm) Again it states convert NO3-N to NO3 multiply by 4.4 which gives a reading of 11

How do these figures look and can anyone confirm which reading for nitrite and nitrate I should be using? As in NO3-N or NO3 and NO2-N or NO2?

Thanks in advance. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
You should be using the higher values.

There are 2 ways of expressing the concentration - as ppm or mg/l of the whole NO2 and NO3, or as the concentration of just the nitrogen (N) part. The majority of test kits measure the whole NO2 and NO3; yours is unusual in measuring just the N. The concentrations in all the cycling methods I've ever seen use the whole NO2 and NO3.

UK water companies also use the whole NO2 and NO3 in their water quality reports.

So your tank readings are nitrite = 0.825 and nitrate = 11.
Nitrite is a bit on the high side, try to keep it below 0.25 on the NO2 scale, which would be 0.075 on the N02-N scale.

Your nitrate reading is also quite low - most people have more than that in their tap water. Have you tested your tap water to see what yours is?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter flow rate "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 02:08:22 PM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 08:11:59 PM
by Extreme_One
16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
by Alex_N
16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 08:47:55 PM
by fcmf
Flow

Started by sjames « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

21 Replies
Last post January 06, 2017, 04:35:51 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 04:46:35 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: