Filter Flow Rate

Author Topic: Filter flow rate  (Read 11144 times) 49 replies

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
Re: Filter flow rate
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The substrate is a coarse sand (2mm granules) about 4cm deep at the front of the aquarium shelving towards the back up to 10cm deep. The amazon sword are developing new leaves but plenty look unhealthy, the Staurogyne Repens have a little new growth and some die back, the hairgrass is hanging in there - mostly dead but a few fresh strands, the sagittaria subulata has just done nothing and has some dead strands and the (many) crypts have not grown but look happy enough. The vallis melted completely and has come back with a few shoots and the feathery tall plant (hornwort?) initially died back and now looks the healthiest of them all (I've already managed to take successful cuttings of it). I've tried to remove as much dead/dying foliage as possible. Quite a lot of plants altogether as the ebay sellers I bought them off gave me way over the advertised numbers of plants  8).

So Richard, If I just leave them alone for another month and take stock then?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »
Delighted for you and the fish that you've made it through the fish-in cycle, BDS. Your commitment and perseverance following the poor advice from the LFS has paid off - well done!  :cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 09:59:35 PM »
BDS I'm not surprised you lost or are losing some of your plants, things like hairgrass are quite hard to grow. I learned this the hard way. Initially I bought plants that I liked the look of, without consideration to their growth needs. I actually spent a lot of time trying to grow these plants with the set up I had and failing, rather than looking for plants that suited my set up.

You can get a really lush look with the simplest of plants.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 07:23:50 AM »
Yes, I'd just wait and see what happens. Hairgrass is difficult, crypts are very slow but tough, expect them to live but it will take a while for them to get going. Often a  tank the size of yours will look better with fewer species growing well rather than a lot of different types. Some will win, some will lose.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »
Delighted for you and the fish that you've made it through the fish-in cycle, BDS. Your commitment and perseverance following the poor advice from the LFS has paid off - well done!  :cheers:

Thanks fcmf  :)

I agree Fiona and I'm going to take Richard's advice here and let the tank settle and mature over the next month or two and see how the plants cope.

Zero nitrite today....Hooray!  :)

I would like a few points clarified:

a) Currently I'm testing for nitrite every day, ammonia every 3 days and I test for PH,GH,KH,NO3,NO2 and NH3 every week. Should I continue this regime of testing or can I reduce it?
b) Do I leave the filter media completely alone at the moment. It looks a bit grungy at the moment but I'd hate to wash it (in tank water) and ruin the bacteria balance.
c) If the nitrite and ammonia stay at zero how often and at what volume should the water changes be?

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
If the filter media looks disgusting, squeeze sponges very gently in old tank water. Just aim to get the worst off. If you have sponges that were white when new, they'll never be white again. And blue sponges go a purply colour. If you have ceramic media, just swoosh the container gently in old water. The biofilm where the bacteria live won't be fully established yet hence the need to be gentle.

You can drop off the testing. Maybe test for ammonia and nitrite every 3 or 4 days till you know they are staying at zero. Then once a month, then whenever you remember, or get new fish, or if the fish start behaving differently from usual.
Nitrate can be used to see if you are doing enough water changes. Test just before a water change and see how much higher it is compared to your tap water.

Once your plants start to take off, you don't need as many or as large water changes compared to a tank that has fake plants. Be guided by the plant people for water changes  :)

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2016, 02:11:46 PM »
The sponge was dark grey, now murky brown. I'll carry out a small water change and squeeze it lightly in the water. I've noted your other points too, Sue  :cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 12:42:25 PM »
job well done BDS  :cheers:

Do be gentle with the sponges, I've triggered a mini cycle in the past with an over enthusiastic sponge cleaning session

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
Congratulations  :cheers:
May you enjoy many years of admiring your fish after such a difficult start.
Well don.
 ;D

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
I now have some nerite snails and they're hoovering like mad so the tank is looking good, even the plants are in better shape.

Thank you for all your help along the way! :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter flow rate "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 02:08:22 PM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 08:11:59 PM
by Extreme_One
16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
by Alex_N
16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 08:47:55 PM
by fcmf
Flow

Started by sjames « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

21 Replies
Last post January 06, 2017, 04:35:51 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 04:46:35 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: