Author Topic: Potential additions to the tank  (Read 2852 times) 5 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Potential additions to the tank
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
In connection with my intense fish broodiness last weekend, many thanks for the responses to the poll. The decision I ultimately settled on was ember tetras. For various reasons, I wouldn't be acting upon this until the new year.

I wasn't convinced I had enough algae to support otocinclus / a BN plec and I was also a bit concerned about how it work with them in the QT for several weeks eg I could move some of the plants into that tank for them to graze upon/clean up but I'd then feel uneasy about moving the plants back into the main tank before being sure that the newbies were disease-free. So that really left me with the microdevario kubotai .v. ember tetras, and the microdevario in the shop were quite large already (definitely 3cm as some others on the internet seem to mention is often the case) and very fast-moving, so I felt embers were a better option stocking-wise - and would complement the colours of the existing fish, a contrast to the green plants.

Now that the intense broodiness has subsided (wouldn't take much to re-fuel it, so avoiding going near the LFS!) and I'm back to my usual self, I'm wondering how wise this idea is. I'd absolutely love to have them but I'm unsure how my middle-aged (3 and 2.5 year-old shoals) fish would adapt to a shoal of newcomers in such a confined space, and whether increasing the stocking capacity at this stage is wise given how health is likely to decline in the latter half of their lives. The 3 male tetras are 4cm each, the 2 female tetras are 5cm and quite a lot larger all round; 4 of the harlequins are 4cm each and 2 of them are 3cm each, so that puts some of them larger than the CC's estimates of 4cm and 3cm respectively. I'm also a little concerned at whether the newbies would find some of the larger fish quite intimidating - and therefore whether I ought to wait until nature takes its course, after which I opt for embers and similar-sized fish. Am I being overly cautious or sensible in my concerns? Views welcome; thanks.

Offline Sue

Re: Potential additions to the tank
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
Intersting about the microdevarios - mine never grew any bigger than the ember tetras that were in the same tank.

When I first had ember tetras they were in the 50 litre tank in the kitchen and they were never very happy. When I moved them into the 125 litre tank in the lounge, there were different fish. They stopped hiding in the corner and they coloured up. I think it was mainly die to the location of the tank - people constantly walking past them in the kitchen but tucked in a corner in the lounge.
They did share tank with small shoaling fish (microdevarios and green neon tetras) but also larger fish such as dwarf chain loaches and apistogrammas. I don't think they would be intimidated by your larger tetras - but you do have some quirky tetras/harlies already, would they take badly to new additions?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
Your experience is interesting. My tank's certainly in a quiet area of the living-room and, generally, I'm the only one who ever approaches it, so that particular issue ought not to be a problem.

You're completely correct in that I have some quirky aquatic residents, namely the two female tetras who used to stalk the pygmy cories in order to eat whatever they foraged up (and which is why I would never trust them with shrimp - but they might be fine with the embers, provided their voracious appetites didn't lead onto consuming the embers) and the territorial harlequin (who would be my main concern - would he send the 10 other fish plus the 8 ember tetras into a corner or might the additions actually distract him and calm him down a bit?). It's these 3 residents who concern me most - if it weren't for them, I'd probably feel much more comfortable in taking the plunge.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
If the harly treats the current fish like that, he would probably include any new, mid water swimming fish the same way, unfortunately.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
Given this, I would probably do embers as replacements for existing as numbers start to dwindle. This is a reasonable plan to my eyes and helps bring some excitement back to the hobby when less positive thigs are things happening to your existing stock.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
Thanks, both. I think this seems the best approach.

While I don't think I could have a separate tiny tank of seamonkeys (helpfully suggested by Sue last week) as I'd feel uneasy feeding the fish their frozen brineshrimp, I am toying with getting a couple of smaller horned nerite snails for the existing tank in the hope that I might be able to "train" them to de-algaefy (is there such a term?!) the plant leaves which my current nerite snail is too large for. Hopefully their horns might ward off any inquisitive fish.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Potential additions to the tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 02:38:57 PM
by chris213
11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 09:55:14 AM
by jesnon
5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:08:33 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 12:15:53 AM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post January 08, 2020, 07:23:33 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2020, 03:41:22 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: