Dwarf Gourami Compatible With Peacock Goby?

Author Topic: Dwarf Gourami compatible with Peacock Goby?  (Read 9387 times) 10 replies

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Dwarf Gourami compatible with Peacock Goby?
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just wondering whether anybody has experience of keeping these two fish together?

I currently have a DG in a community tank with a number of other species and have been considering adding a Peacock Goby (assuming I can find one in one of my LFS!). The community creator doesn't flag up any potential conflict however I'm of the understanding that DG's may fight/bully any fish which looks similar and the Peacock Goby has some similar colouration and is of a similar size.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Dwarf Gourami compatible with Peacock Goby?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
I had peacock gobies/gudgeons years ago. I think you'd be OK with them. The may be the same colour, but the body shape is different (torpedo vs dinner plate) and they live mainly on the bottom while gouramis live higher up. The only possible confliction would come if/when the gobies bred as the male will defend the eggs.

On the subject of breeding, mine did in the quarantine tank! They like the tiniest spaces, so small you wouldn't thing they'd both fit. I had a terracotta plantpot about 1 inch tall, and on one occasion it ended upside down after a water change. They both got in through the hole on the plantpot base and spawned. With this species, it's the male that guards the eggs.
Read up on how to tell the sexes (it's to do with the shape of the forehead). Males can fight unless the tank is big enough for more than one territory

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
Thanks Sue. I think I'll give them a try if I come across any - been to 4 LFS today and none stocked them so will just have to keep an eye out! Can they be kept singly or should they be in a group?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »
From Seriously Fish
The peacock goby can be kept in small groups without problems. They will squabble amongst themselves, but this is almost always restricted to displaying and flaring and in fact makes for a more entertaining spectacle than if you just have a couple.

Depends how big your tank is. I had problems with more than one male in a tank with a 24 x 12 inch footprint, but bigger should be able to accommodate more than one male. More than one female shouldn't be a problem.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »
i looked around many of my lfs of the last month as peacock goby is one of the fish i would like to have at some point in my tank.Most of the shops i tried told me that it was a species that hadn't had in stock for some time , one shop did say that he would try and get me some if i paid a small deposit upfront
I did manage to track down one seller on ebay that has them but obviously then you have the worry of the fish in transit and also the postage costs.I have used the seller for a few items (non actual fish ) and so far he has been good seller.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
I was lucky. We have trips to York a few times a year so husband can look in Banks at CDs, and there is a fish shop in the way home that had some in. This was a few years ago; I don't remember having seen them recently either.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
I was only thinking of having the one, or a pair really, but wasn't sure whether they needed to be in a group or not.

I was a bit disappointed by the stock in all 4 of my LFS really - they were all pretty much of a muchness with predominantly well known varieties such as Guppies, Platies, Tetras etc and not much in the way of unusual types - I suppose it's the safe business approach. Even my favourite of the 4 LFS was a bit down on stock as I wanted to pick up a couple more Peppered Cory's and a group of Panda Cory's but he had neither! I do have another shop which I can try which is a bit further afield but does stock some less common fish types.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 07:36:13 AM »
You could try http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk.
Put "Peacock Goby" in the Keywords box, then click "Find my fish". When the name comes up, click on "Stock" and it will list shops that have it. Obviously only a small number of all fish shops are included, but all branches of MA are there which can be useful if you have several reasonably near. At present, just six shops have it, all in south and east England.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »
Thanks Richard; looks like a useful tool but I'm oop norf in sunny Yorkshire and don't have a MA nearby unfortunately - I think our nearest is in Worksop, Nottinghamshire. Not a million miles away admittedly, but a fair trek.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
Which bit of Yorkshire?

I got mine from Fintastic, just south of Northallerton on the Thirsk road. Though I do realise that Yorkshire is the biggest county and you're probably at the other end with talk of Nottinghamshire  :)

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
Though I do realise that Yorkshire is the biggest county and you're probably at the other end with talk of Nottinghamshire  :)

Yes, good guess! I'm in South Yorkshire so Thirsk is quite far away really (although a very nice place - been there a few times  :) ). I've been to a nearby garden centre today which has a pets and aquatic section and as I hoped they did have a bit better selection but still no Peacock Gobies unfortunately :(. I did however pick up their last 3 Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasboras and some of these little fellas:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dwarf Gourami compatible with Peacock Goby?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 05:35:03 PM
by jmr1969
7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 12:53:59 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 01:45:39 PM
by tropicalhabitat
7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 07:09:28 PM
by Fishywishy
10 Replies
Last post July 09, 2016, 02:37:41 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2021, 06:38:40 PM
by Littlefish
0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2022, 12:45:01 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: