Do You Add Food To Shrimp Tanks?

Author Topic: Do you add food to shrimp tanks?  (Read 3796 times) 5 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Do you add food to shrimp tanks?
« on: May 16, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone, just me again with another annoying question!

Since the death of my last killi and the lack of killis in any local stores my tank is temporarily a shrimp only tank. When I had fish and I added food the shrimp would always gobble it up no matter what it was but I haven't added food since the last fish died. My shrimp always seem to be eating something which is why I never really thought about it but I had a panic that maybe they aren't getting enough food and I should add something? They always ate flake food when I used that, but I do also have shrimp pellets too. Should I be feeding them!? Or is whatever they're always eating in the tank sufficient? I have three very large Amanos in a 23l tank.

I'm hoping this week I might finally be able to get some fish. If I can't get killis soon I think I'll be giving up, but I don't know what to get instead since I have my shrimp! Previously I would have gotten a betta since there's some gorgeous ones around but I know they aren't generally advised with shrimp. I only really got the shrimp as they made good companions for the killis! But I do love their behaviour, they're such funny things to watch. I was concerned that two had died since I'd only seen one at a time for a while and had seen some shrimp shells so thought I was losing them in the same way as my unsuccessful cherry shrimp days but I saw all three together yesterday thankfully.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
Re: Do you add food to shrimp tanks?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
On Friday I got 3 amano shrimp for my 50L temperate tank. They are the first I've had and I really like them. I read that they may be shy at first, so thought perhaps I wouldn't see them for a while, but no, these 3 took up position on the top of the rock formation thingy near the front, and even ventured across the floor at feeding time to frighten a peppered cory away from a nice flake of food.
I'm afraid I can't advise you on yours as I have no experience, but as a new shrimp owner I have to say that they are pretty awesome.  8)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »
I would add a few fish food flakes every couple of days. Maybe enough flakes for 1 small fish. With any algae in the tank, that should feed them enough.

Of course you could always splash out on a pack of Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, though it isn't necessary.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
I put a pinch of food in a couple of times a week, mainly for the snails to be honest. I had a detritus worm explosion and was advised to cut back on feeding. The shrimp seem to eat the Bacter AE I put in daily. I find them all hanging upside down under the frogbit eating the stuff off the surface. I'm thinking of cutting back on that too.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »
On Friday I got 3 amano shrimp for my 50L temperate tank. They are the first I've had and I really like them. I read that they may be shy at first, so thought perhaps I wouldn't see them for a while, but no, these 3 took up position on the top of the rock formation thingy near the front, and even ventured across the floor at feeding time to frighten a peppered cory away from a nice flake of food.
I'm afraid I can't advise you on yours as I have no experience, but as a new shrimp owner I have to say that they are pretty awesome.  8)

They are great characters! As you say I was expecting mine to be shy but they certainly aren't! It was usually easier to spot my shrimp than my fish! I've just given them a flake and a few shrimp pellets and they've all gone mad scurrying around - I love when they swim upside down to grab the food! They were never shy before when it came to meal times snatching the food before my fish had a clue what was going on!

Sue it's Hikari shrimp cuisine that I have already - I think I bought it for my cherries. Oddly when I put both that and flake in the shrimp were more interested in the flake though!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll make sure to put a bit of food in every few days then, it's worth it just for their mad scurrying if nothing else!

Another resident of my tank I forgot about completely was my assassin snail 😳 I forgot he existed before I spotted him yesterday on the glass, poor neglected thing! I guess it's a good job I bought shrimp instead of snails!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline AdyDnt

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 01:26:31 AM »
My shrimp go crazy for spinach sticks, they swarm all over it

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Do you add food to shrimp tanks?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
by brian c
4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2018, 04:58:48 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 15, 2019, 09:43:07 PM
by jaypeecee
3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: