Depleting Shoals...

Author Topic: Depleting shoals...  (Read 2969 times) 5 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Depleting shoals...
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
After setting up and cycling my Aquanano 40 (55l) I added 4 Platy and 6 X-ray tetra to the tank. Eight months on, the Platy are all still fine, but I have lost two of the tetra.

Whilst I love my X-ray tetra, I'm concerned they're a little too large and active for the tank. I don't think they have enough room to stretch their fins in their 40cm cube home. So I have decided that when the time comes, I'll replace them with a shoal of smaller fish that are more suited to the tank, like Emerald Dwarf Rasbora or Celestial Pearl Danios.

In the meantime I have four gorgeous tetra that I wish were in a larger shoal. They seem reasonably content as a foursome, but I worry what will happen when they are down to three or less in number. This must be a dilemma faced by many a fishkeeper and wondered how others got over the problem. I've thought about offering them up for adoption, but I'm too attached to the little fellas!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Depleting shoals...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:36 PM »
My LFS will rehome fish that are too large or too aggressive.

Perhaps your LFS will do something similar?

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
I currently have 3 ember tetras and 4 green neon tetras that were once in larger groups. I will just keep the remainders until they die. Obviously this isn't ideal but the only alternative for me would be to find someone who already has shoals of these fish and would take them.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »
...or is upgrading the tank to a longer one an option, then you could add more x-ray tetras to the shoal, given the increase in swimming space?

[Incidentally, my x-ray tetras - in a 60x30 tank - aren't actually that active; they spend considerable amounts of time resting at their various 'staging posts', with just the occasional flurry of activity.  Interesting how the behaviour can differ within the species and over time.]

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't want to give the little guys up, I'm a "until death do us part" type of guy when it comes to pets.

A bigger tank would be my ideal solution, but there's no chance of that. FCMF, interesting the behavior you observed, mine are exactly the same! They have their preferred 'posts' around the tank and every now and again they go berserk and rampage around. Maybe they're not too unhappy... their colours are certainly great!

Will stick with them, and continue to convince the better half that a larger tank is a good idea!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
Totally empathise with your view re pets - I'm absolutely exactly the same. Also trying to convince the other half re a tank upgrade - well, actually, a second tank, to be precise - but he's having none of it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Depleting shoals..."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 10:00:17 AM
by Sue
24 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 10:45:45 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: