Corys Are On The Lay

Author Topic: Corys are on the lay  (Read 3129 times) 4 replies

Offline JimmyL

• Fishy Member
Corys are on the lay
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It seems to be a recurring theme among my topics in this forum, hey? My corys have dropped about 200 eggs so far on the glass, the plants, and are dropping more and more by the day. I have been feeding them every 5-6 hours, because they have been ravenous.

And just as I have been typing this, my female bronze just got into the t position with a male and laid some eggs, which she promptly deposited on a leaf, pretty special moment, to get to see that :D

So then, onto details. What will I need to do in terms of food once the fry hatch? I have some fry food, but the LFS store owner said it may be too big for the fry. I don't have any daphnia or infusoria cultures going, as I never anticipated this happening.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Congo Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (13) - Cherry Barb (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Glass Bloodfin (10) - Penguin Tetra (10) - Bloodfin Tetra (10) - Ember Tetra (15) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) - Head & Tail Light Tetra (10) - Golden Pencilfish (10) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Congo Tetra (10) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Blue Tetra (10) - Colombian Red Fin (10) - Flame Tetra (10) - Lemon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Emperor Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (10) - Buenos Aires Tetra (10) - Diamond Tetra (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (10) - Red Phantom Tetra (10) - Red Eye Tetra (10) - Silver Tip Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (10) - Congo Tetra (20) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (20) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Corys are on the lay
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
You have a few days to start a brine shrimp hatchery, tiny fry can usually manage newly hatched brine shrimp or you might be able to find a shop that stocks frozen baby brine shrimp (BBS).
As they grow, things like microworms are easy to culture. I've used that in the past, I just buy a starter culture from Ebay. All you need for those are a couple of tubs and cheap instant porridge. It does take a few days to get it going, then it is self sustaining, starting a new culture before the old one goes off. There are other kinds of tiny worm cultures, some are too big for newly hatched fry so do a bit of research before buying.
The fry might possibly be OK with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

When they get bigger, try cyclops (frozen from the LFS)

Offline JimmyL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
Ok cheers for that. The fry food I got was Hikari Tropical First Bites. Dude at the LFS said it might be a little big for first feeding, but 5-7 days after, should be perfect. I've got some cory food balls that sink, and I crush them whenever I have young guppies, as it's the perfect size for them, so I imagine that will be good for a few week old cories. It's just the first week's food that I'm concerned about. I will run down to the LFS tomorrow and get some BBS.

Many thanks Sue, you have been a great help :D

Congo Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (13) - Cherry Barb (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Glass Bloodfin (10) - Penguin Tetra (10) - Bloodfin Tetra (10) - Ember Tetra (15) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) - Head & Tail Light Tetra (10) - Golden Pencilfish (10) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Congo Tetra (10) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Blue Tetra (10) - Colombian Red Fin (10) - Flame Tetra (10) - Lemon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Emperor Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (10) - Buenos Aires Tetra (10) - Diamond Tetra (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (10) - Red Phantom Tetra (10) - Red Eye Tetra (10) - Silver Tip Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (10) - Congo Tetra (20) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (20) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »
My cherry barbs have had kids and I didn't realise it for ages. They seemed to be quite happy munching on the algae and stuff that grows naturally. I've got one stuck in the refugium filter at the moment. He or she is quite happy living in there and when it gets big enough, I'll syphon it into a bucket and put it in the main section of the tank. I've not fed them anything other than the normal crushed up flake food and frozen food.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline les-goose

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »
Nice to be able to see them mate and lay eggs I had a bit of a surprise the last time I cleaned my external filter found small cory in the filter could not understand how they got in.Then a week later after a water change saw the cory lay eggs on the glass but also seen one laying eggs on the gravel but didn't stick and saw them get taken into the filter.So in 3 weeks time when I do the external filter again I will see how many we have this time.Do the external every 6 weeks do a water change and gravel clean every 3 days as have under gravel filters and external.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Corys are on the lay"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:29:33 AM
by fishcake76
7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
by MichaelT
9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 07:33:46 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2016, 03:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
0 Replies
Last post September 05, 2019, 10:15:33 AM
by Nan
2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 10:56:43 PM
by Beckins
38 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 11:27:50 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: