Author Topic: Cory missing tail  (Read 6128 times) 12 replies

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Cory missing tail
« on: June 16, 2018, 09:47:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey hope everyone is well :)
I have a question about my albino Cory, I have had 4 of them and 6 green fire tetras for over a year now with two shrimp they  have all been healthy and had no issues with fish or my water for a long time now.
I added a female bristlenose plec 3 months ago and she has also fit in well I feed her cucumber which she loves as do the other fishies and Algae wafers the cories and pleco seem happy to share the wafer but today I noticed the plec chase them all away and now after examining everybody I have noticed one has half a tail missing which wasn’t missing yesterday!
I have now sat and watched them for an hour and they all seem fine but I’m worried could the plec suck off my cories tails  :-\

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Cory missing tail
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:09:41 PM »
How strange.
I have a plec in with cories. I've seen the plec chase the cories away from an algae wafer, but the cories haven't sustained any damage. There are also lemon and glass bloodfin tetras in that tank.
Could it be the green fire tetras rather than the plec? They do have a bit of a reputation for nipping fins.

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:25:10 PM »
I would of originally thought the tetras too, but they have always lived together and never bothered each other I can’t say for sure though, also after watching them all tonight the plec did this flaring thing where it had spikey bits on the side come out then go back in.
I hope it isn’t because I love having  pleccy the pleco she will suck my arm when I put in cucumber  :D
Just feel bad for the cories

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »
I've always thought that bn plecs were vegetarian, but mine totally hoovers up the frozen food i put in the tank. He's not aggressive but he does use his size to clear the competition for food. I couls easily imagine a cory being accidentally injured if it refused to give way to the plec.

Though I've not heard of a plec sucking on a fishkeeper before. Mine is certainly too timid.

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:47:23 PM »
Yes I think my bn plec could be using the fact she’s the biggest fish to scare the cories out the way, she was the newcomer and scared of everything  but has now been in the tank for 3 months so might be just being  more confident, I hope I’m just worrying over nothing!

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 11:42:20 PM »
Quick look at this query and one thing stands out to me...  the Cories should have protein tablets or some protein in their diet...  I'd suggest some proper Cory tablets fed at the same time as you pop an algae wafer in the tank for the BN Plec, but in different areas of the tank... 

This is one that I use:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/FishScience-Corydoras-Science-Catfish-Feeders/dp/B075SHGTB1

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
Hi thank you for the link to the tablets I do feed them Corycat sinking pellets that I try to drop at the opposite end but I think the tetras May steel those after they eat their food! I will order those ones you suggested thank you  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
I had cories for a while in the same tank as tetras (and, briefly, harlequins). They didn't fare well, unfortunately, and seemed to develop missing pieces of tails and fins (among other things). I did catch my two female tetras lurking around immediately behind the cories, clearly waiting for the cories to do their rummaging and avail of whatever they managed to dig up as often a cloud of debris cascaded behind the cories. I'm almost certain the cories' missing tails were caused by the tetras (this species has teeth) although I didn't rule out some being caused by over-amorous mating behaviour among the cories.

Fishes' behaviour does change over time in a tank and it might just be that one of the tankmates or the BN plec has realised, like my tetras did, that they can get a free helping of food from whatever the cories dig up - but in the process have been too eager and taken a mouthful of the cory's tail by accident.

I would suggest:
* increasing the number of cories to at least 6 (and ideally 8-10, if your tank capacity allows); I know our Community Creator says 4 but, generally, the more, the better and it ought to give them more confidence in the presence of the other tankmates (as well as minimise any stress-induced conditions which this might even be);
* doing more and larger water changes to keep the water in optimum condition to let the cory's tail heal (if that doesn't work or the situation deteriorates to the point of finrot, then remove the injured cory and medicate with something like eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin in a quarantine tank (if you have one plus a spare filter and heater, transferring some filter media across into the QT's spare filter).

Hope that helps.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »
If you have an issue with fish stealing sinking food for bottom feeders, it is always a good idea to drop the sinking food in at lights out. The fish that eat off the bottom tend not to need light to find their food, so don't have to compete with the shoaling fish so much in the dark.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 11:38:42 PM »
I tried those Cory sinking pellets too...  They're obviously tasty, coz everybody else in the tank would steal them long before the Cories found them, lol, especially the Amano shrimp...!!!   :vcross:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
I tried those Cory sinking pellets too...  They're obviously tasty,
Hmmm - can't say I've ever tried my fishes' food ;) (although I have had my fair share of getting mouthfuls of their tank water).

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 10:21:47 PM »
  :rotfl:

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
I know from putting my hand in to clean that tetras have teeth one tried to eat a tattoo on my hand thinking it was a bit of food  ???
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone
I do a water change weekly I’m going to add 2 more cories I did have 6 originally but I lost one pretty much as soon as I got it home, like 2 days  :( and the other when I moved house but have been meaning to replace them, also the lights out idea is great  i will do that too, I love the cories
Thanks everyone  :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cory missing tail "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 08:34:07 PM
by Puffin
12 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 10:43:09 AM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 02:51:24 PM
by Fiona
18 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 07:02:28 PM
by fcmf
11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2017, 06:00:35 PM
by fruitbat
6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2018, 08:35:45 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: