Siamese Fighter Tankmates?

Author Topic: Siamese Fighter tankmates?  (Read 28906 times) 8 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
Siamese Fighter tankmates?
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All.

I haven't been on this site for a while.

About a month ago I bought a male Siamese Fighter. He is on his own in a 64 litre tank at the moment, although I have recently bought a 40cm x 40cm x 20cm (approx 25 litre) tank for him.

I always thought that you couldn't keep other fish with them, but I was looking at the fish profiles on this site and it it says that Cherry Barbs make good tankmates for them. Is this correct and are there any other fish that I could put in with him?

Thanks in advance.
Ian.   

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Siamese Fighter tankmates?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:10:21 AM »
Hi Ian,

Welcome back!
It's been a long full-on type of day today so Sue may well correct me on what I say next (I am pretty pooped so the brain may not be firing on all cylinders!)

You may or may not know that due to an emergency (my betta's tank sprang a leak) I had to hurriedly put Rafe, my fighter in my main tank. Not a fantastic solution as amongst others, I had a dwarf gourami in there too. However, I was EXTREMELY lucky in that they all got on fine. This is not a situation to try though.
I think I am right in saying that corydoras will get on with a fighter....mine certainly do. They are such sweet natured fish that they seem to get on with anybody.
Do you mean though, other fish to go in with him in the 64L or the 25L? If he is going in the 25, I wouldn't put any other fish in at all as that is a small tank for any more than him. If you mean in the 64L, then I would think you could consider some corys....although only the little ones. Have a look at some info on them on the catfish site if you are interested. I have panda cories, which are gorgeous little fish, but don't forget they need to be in a little shoal...at least 4 but preferably 6.
There may be other options but that is my experience....and who couldn't love corys? ;)

Anyway, good luck...oh, and don't forget some pics of your little bad boy :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »
I forgot to say, you need to avoid any fish that have flowing or flashy tails and fins as that could cause your boy to square up to them....even fancy guppies could do that, although like I said before, Rafe was fine with my guppies. I guess it all depends on how stroppy their characters are. ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »
Hi Resa.

Firstly, congratulations on becoming a Hero Member.  :)  I've just noticed that I am now a Jr. Member and no longer a newbie.  :D

Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it, I do remember your posts about Rafe-gate. He must be very docile.

I had intended the 25 litre tank to be for my Betta when I thought he was going to be on his own. I only paid £12 for it on ebay and that was mainly for all of the treatments, food, ornaments, plants etc that came with it.  ;) However, if he can have tankmates, he can stay in the 64 litre tank. I had thought about Panda Corys in the past. Perhaps a few of them and few Chery Barbs? What do you think?

I have attached a piccy of my Betta. It's not great, my camera is very old, but you get the idea.   

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
It depends on the betta. Some live quite happily with other fish, as Resa's Rafe. Others are so aggressive they even attack snails. And because yours has been in the tank on his own, he may object to 'invaders' in his territory. It is safer to add the betta last so he sees the other fish as part of the scenery rather than invaders.

The types of fish that usually do OK with bettas are:
bottom dwellers
fish with short fins and tails
fish in monochrome or subdued colours
fish that do not ever nip fins. Those that sometimes do can't help themselves when the see a betta's fins.
fish that are big enough not be regarded as a snack

Cories tick all those boxes  :D With your 64 litre, you would need to look at dwarf cories - pygmy, salt & pepper (habrosus, not peppered cories) and hastatus, or possibly the slightly bigger pandas.
Harlequin rasboras, or one of their smaller look-alikes. Those are Trigonostigma hengeli (copper rasbora, and a few other common names) and T. espei (lambchop rasbora, slender rasbora). These fall into the non-nippy and subdued colour categories.
Endlers, male and female. Although they are brightly coloured, male endlers have short fins and tails and can swim faster than a betta. And any nippiness of the endlers is kept exclusively among themselves. Mine don't notice the other fish in the tank! And the betta would keep any population explosion under control.

But to be honest, if it was me, I'd put the betta in the 25 litre then you woudn't be restricted in the 64 litre. My bettas have always been in 25-ish litre tanks with just a small nerite snail for company (bee nerites, horned nerites). I did have one in a 50 litre tank with pygmy cories and female endlers until he developed a growth that I was worried might be infectious, so I moved him out. He was fine with those fish.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
Thanks Sue.

You are probably right. There's no point in taking any chances. The 25 litre tank isn't up and running at the moment. I'll need to get a heater and filter, so it won't be ready for a few weeks. I'll leave things as they are until then and move the Betta into it on his own when it is ready.

This would free up the 64 litre tank for other things. Probably a selection of small community fish. I still have my other two 150 litre tanks up and running, both only half full, so this gives me the opportunity to get more fish if I want.  :)   

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »
You could always use the 64 litre for some nano-fish, fish that would get lost in your bigger tanks. Dwarf cories, Boraras (there are a few species) Microdevario, Microrasboras, Sundadanios etc, (depending on your pH and hardness)

I like small fish, you can fit more of them in a tank  ;D

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
I have a 60 litre newly purchased for a Siamese fighter to be with other fish. Should I introduce him first to cycle or cherry barbs first? 

Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (7) - Golden Barb (3) - Black Phantom Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (1) - Neon Tetra (10) - Slender Harlequin (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Flame Tetra (6) - Platy (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Neon Tetra (9) - Honey Gourami (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »
I would not advise any fish to cycle the tank, fishless is much easier! If this is a new tank, do you have another tank still running? You can use some filter media from an established tank to kick start a cycle - it would work with a fish-in cycle too.
A betta should always be added last so they regard the other fish as part of the scenery; if other fish are added after a betta it will probably regard them as invaders to its territory, and an aggressive betta would attack them.
Recently I've been reading things about cherry barbs being aggressive towards other fish. I don't think I'd risk them with a betta. The barbs will quite likely not be ale to resist a betta's long flowing fins.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Siamese Fighter tankmates?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2014, 06:49:28 PM
by Fiona
0 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 12:33:49 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post July 08, 2016, 08:53:39 AM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 11:07:02 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 07:48:42 AM
by ColinB
22 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2022, 05:37:10 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: